Schmiedmann turbo manifold any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schmiedmann turbo manifold any good?

I saw this schmiedmann turbo manifold for the m20 and it’s hella cheap I was wondering if that’s a red flag for it being shit or equivalent to eBay stuff but has anyone bought one of these and know what kind of quality they are? Couldn’t find any reviews

Link to it

Turbo-manifold stainless steel, top mounted turbo with T3 flange TURBOMANM20 - Fits on models: E30

Typically if its shiny is Chinese junk, maybe just my opinion though

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Haha well I assumed they were junk I was just wondering if there was anybody on here with first hand experience

Comment

ya me. idk if they ever changed anything on these thin things but
        the weld on my turbo flange cracked. See that little sheet metal thing that supposed to
        give support. it does nothing.

BUT. for 200 bux why not.

Comment

I have had first experience with Schmiedman headers. I sold them a US-designed and made header to them only to have them send it to China and copy it.

It was ironic to receive an email from that same Chinese wholesaler trying to sell me a copy of my own header.

It was ironic squared to have guys call and try to warranty their cracked Schmiedman/Chinese header for the real thing.
          Last edited by SkiFree; 01-19-2019, 11:30 PM.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

^remember dan pintor from e30tech? canadian guy.
            i bought it from him he was saying it was from finland in a group buy
            payed $600 and it came with the head flange welded upside down and it
            wouldn't fit over the studs so i had to cut the flange down the middle so it would spring back out.
            years and years ago.
            they were as cheap as 150 on ebay not that long ago.

also the steel in those is not great mine was corroding. it was getting rough.

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
              I have had first experience with Schmiedman headers. I sold them a US-designed and made header to them only to have them send it to China and copy it.
              Classy as classy gets. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                ^remember dan pintor from e30tech? canadian guy.
                i bought it from him he was saying it was from finland in a group buy
                payed $600 and it came with the head flange welded upside down and it
                wouldn't fit over the studs so i had to cut the flange down the middle so it would spring back out.
                years and years ago.
                they were as cheap as 150 on ebay not that long ago.

also the steel in those is not great mine was corroding. it was getting rough.
                Hahaha I received one with an upside down flange as well like 6 years ago.
                Wasn't an issue for me though since CXracing is like 6 miles from me.
                Went in person and asked for an exchange unannounced.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Looks like thinwall junk, but even the good stuff (my rapid spool header) cracked in multiple places, so seems like you're screwed no matter what you choose

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    Looks like thinwall junk, but even the good stuff (my rapid spool header) cracked in multiple places, so seems like you're screwed no matter what you choose
                    That's kinda funny I remember them bragging how they have never had one crack.

I believe ppf sells a nice manifold for a decent price

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                      (my rapid spool header) cracked in multiple places, so seems like you're screwed no matter what you choose

same. but it didn't crack all the way through. yet.
                      also the head flange was warped bad so i had to get it machined.

Crack? by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one at least. Mine has way more miles and thus heat cycles on it than the typical example will since I daily drive my car and have had long commutes, it's a good durability test case. I don't know when the cracks started, I'm not in the habit of taking it off since it's a huge pain in the ass to get manifolds like these off. The flange on mine is warped too and I've had issues with it walking the old exhaust nuts and studs out as it heat cycles. I have a complete set of new hardware which will hopefully stop that, but if I'm going to do the hours worth of work necessary to take the thing off and replace the hardware I may as well get the cracks fixed better than the fluxcore welds I tried to fix it with last fall. Those cracked through within a month.
                        Last edited by varg; 01-22-2019, 04:16 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

There is simple rule to follow with those turbo manifolds: if it's shiny, don't buy it.

Comment

what is the alternative though.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                              what is the alternative though.
                              I just seen someone post on r3v Facebook for some custom manifolds and there's ppf which is really good.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Working...
                              X