Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on the new addition Franco! Can’t wait to see the “transformation” to come...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you! I was a bit Bummed out when i received the car Friday the over all shape of the car is 6.5/10 , when i though it was a 8/10 or what i was lead to believe; regardless i was able to start the car with the hit of a hammer in while unloading it from the transporter so at least it "runs"

It has a pretty bad exhuast leak at the manifold that i was not advised of and it idles very rough , not sure if the actual leak could be causing this?

I ordered some maintenance items along with new gaskets.

The "manual top conversion" was in-fact nothing but disconnected motors so that needs sorting as well a proper conversion is in the list among other things.

I do see the appearance package cars are not really seen as a true Mtech cars or maybe not that "rare" ? I think investment wise they both should see an increase in the near future or at least they deserve it as they are the very end of the E30 chassis era.

Originally posted by Uber///m3 View Post
      Congratulations on the new addition Franco! Can’t wait to see the “transformation” to come...

sigpic

Comment

Best wishes on bringing it back to it's former glory.

As far as S771A interior parts, it only seems to be missing the leather shifter and e-brake consoles. It's got the leather door panels, door pulls, map pockets, rear speaker panels, e-brake handle, and ashtrays. I'm sure the seat backs are probably leather too, but I can't see them in the pics. Oddly enough, I have a spare leather shifter console and ebrake console.

Mine is a true VIN-confirmed S771A car, but with all black leather interior, no mtech cloth. My car has all the leather-clad items noted in the above paragraph, as well as leather and stitched door centers, and the M-technic/M3 bolster shape and stitching on the back seat.

I'd say, chances are, in the case of both of our cars, the original buyer chose it that way. But who knows? Since both our cars are from SoCal, maybe a dealer did some swapping between our cars.

And an interesting tidbit, running the VIN will confirm if it has the S771A package, but it will not give any indication of whether or not it came with Mtech cloth.

Here is my car, the ETK VIN readout is the first pic

Originally posted by francogt1 View Post
        So I bought Rodrigo's old MTech Appearance package car.

04/91 DS over EVO 3 Cloth Interior 5 Speed Converted

I'm still trying to figure out what the story with this car is, since the Interior looks aged and if i had to guess it came from the factory with it yet shows nothing by VIN

Also strange is that the Ashtray Cover Lid is leather wrapped ? very weird.

If anyone has more info on this car please feel free to chime in , ill be restoring this car over a couple years to bring back to former glory its a bit rougher than what i thought but that's buying sight unseen.

Here are some photos

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...F7W6tQ53NWjQGt
        Last edited by robrez; 12-04-2018, 02:37 PM.
        sigpic
        January 2012 COTM

Comment

I haven't seen this link posted in this thread, it has a lot of info. and pics. Scroll to the bottom to see the US M-Technics.

sigpic
          January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
            I haven't seen this link posted in this thread, it has a lot of info. and pics. Scroll to the bottom to see the US M-Technics.

http://www.e30cabrio.se/mtechnic.html

That's a good one. Here's another from this forum:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Had to re-register with the forum for some unknown reason. My old username/log-in information for Uber///M3 is no longer recognized.

So, if anyone's looking for me, here's my new username. Thx!

Comment

Originally posted by BMWBrat View Post
                Had to re-register with the forum for some unknown reason. My old username/log-in information for Uber///M3 is no longer recognized.

So, if anyone's looking for me, here's my new username. Thx!

Is this the one that sold on bring a trailer a few months back?

Comment

Originally posted by NeverEnough02 View Post
                  Is this the one that sold on bring a trailer a few months back?

No...I watched that one go down on BaT and thought about bidding on it (I'd been looking for the right M Technic for awhile).

Then this one showed up out of the blue. I contacted the owner who had already sold it (after a mere 24 hours of advertising) to someone else. I asked him to contact me if that deal didn't go down.

A week later he called. Made me a bit suspicious at first as to why the original buyer balked, so I got a PPI at the dealership. Nothing major showed up (IMHO anyways), so I snagged it.

Comment

Vin #mec26625 s771a

Hi all, I bought this M-Tech 2 in 2017 and I’m slowly resorting/modifying it. I’m going to put an S52 in it and converting it to 5 lugs. The interior is an 8 out of 10 and I already changed out the steering rack for a purple tag 2.7 lock to lock.
                    Attached Files

Comment

No...I watched that one go down on BaT and thought about bidding on it (I'd been looking for the right M Technic for awhile).

Then this one showed up out of the blue. I contacted the owner who had already sold it (after a mere 24 hours of advertising) to someone else. I asked him to contact me if that deal didn't go down.

A week later he called. Made me a bit suspicious at first as to why the original buyer balked, so I got a PPI at the dealership. Nothing major showed up (IMHO anyways), so I snagged it.

Good news. Was it the bimmers r us car? That one also had the same pinstripe.

Comment

Good news. Was it the bimmers r us car? That one also had the same pinstripe.

That’s the one.

I switched out the headlights with Depo’s & HID’s (so I could see while driving at night), replaced the timing belt (even though the car only has 36K miles on it) and I’m preparing to swap the Auto for a manual (just in time for The Vintage in May).

Here’s what it looked like after my detail guy spent 3 days on it:

Comment

That’s the one.

I switched out the headlights with Depo’s & HID’s (so I could see while driving at night), replaced the timing belt (even though the car only has 36K miles on it) and I’m preparing to swap the Auto for a manual (just in time for The Vintage in May).

Here’s what it looked like after my detail guy spent 3 days on it:

Funny, I almost bought that car from them 2 years ago. At the time, I hesitated because the front end had been repainted and it didn’t match well. I was also a little puzzled as to why the intake and valve covers were painted red. Indications that it may have had higher miles than indicated and a rebuild. It got taken down off their site shortly after my inquiries on it. After the red one in GA sold for 25k, I thought of this car and reached out to see if bimmers r us still had it. Turns out they sold it when I was asking about it, and the new owner traded it back in the same day the BAT car sold from GA. I believe they had the paint match fixed and the timing belt done before selling to you. I was planning on flying out to pick it up and then the silver car on BAT came up. I always wanted a silver manual so, I bid on that one instead and won. Crazy how it works out. Anyways, I hope the small bit of info helps you fill in some details on the cars timeline. I plan to try creating a full history of mine by tracking down owners and getting their stories. Mileage accurate or not, yours looked very very clean. It must be low mileage at the very least.

Comment

Official M-Technic cabrio registry thread

Funny, I almost bought that car from them 2 years ago. At the time, I hesitated because the front end had been repainted and it didn’t match well. I was also a little puzzled as to why the intake and valve covers were painted red. Indications that it may have had higher miles than indicated and a rebuild. It got taken down off their site shortly after my inquiries on it. After the red one in GA sold for 25k, I thought of this car and reached out to see if bimmers r us still had it. Turns out they sold it when I was asking about it, and the new owner traded it back in the same day the BAT car sold from GA. I believe they had the paint match fixed and the timing belt done before selling to you. I was planning on flying out to pick it up and then the silver car on BAT came up. I always wanted a silver manual so, I bid on that one instead and won. Crazy how it works out. Anyways, I hope the small bit of info helps you fill in some details on the cars timeline. I plan to try creating a full history of mine by tracking down owners and getting their stories. Mileage accurate or not, yours looked very very clean. It must be low mileage at the very least.

Thanks for the insight @NeverEnough02...I appreciate it and it's very helpful (especially on any older car). You're right, the front end was painted. Bug and rock chips was what I was told. But to me (and my professional detailer) the match is nearly perfect. I don't know that a painted intake and valve cover necessarily indicates higher miles than indicated, let alone a rebuild, but if you have additional information substantiating that, please feel free to PM it to me. (I admit that the fact that the seller took the car down from the website shortly after your inquiry would, at minimum, look suspicious.)

My BMW mechanic replaced the timing belt right after I took delivery and he indicated that the one he removed "appeared to be the original one from the factory". I swapped it to maintain the reliability of the car because I plan to drive it. The paper trail that came with the car appears to indicate accurate mileage now at 36,000 but since I plan to drive it and I don't plan to sell it anytime soon (unless somebody at a car show offers me something ridiculous for it), keeping the mileage low won't be a priority. I've followed Jay Leno's philosophy on all 6 of the BMW's I've owned - "Build 'em up to 100% then drive 'em down to 80"...LOL!

Like you, I like to know the history of a car I own. Or in the case of the M Technic model, it's production history. But that's been difficult to come by (at least from my research) on these. Accounts vary...sometimes widely. All I really know for sure is that it's rare...real rare (especially with the mileage this low). And that, along with the sheer joy (and stares of admiration) I get while driving it, made it a worthwhile purchase for me.

One last thing...a Doctor in my area owns one just like mine. I tried to buy his off of him first, but he wouldn't budge. The look, alone, on his face when I pulled into his driveway the day I got mine back from the detailer was worth every penny I paid for it! LOL!

Comment

Thanks for the insight @NeverEnough02...I appreciate it and it's very helpful (especially on any older car). You're right, the front end was painted. Bug and rock chips was what I was told. But to me (and my professional detailer) the match is nearly perfect. I don't know that a painted intake and valve cover necessarily indicates higher miles than indicated, let alone a rebuild, but if you have additional information substantiating that, please feel free to PM it to me. (I admit that the fact that the seller took the car down from the website shortly after your inquiry would, at minimum, look suspicious.)

My BMW mechanic replaced the timing belt right after I took delivery and he indicated that the one he removed "appeared to be the original one from the factory". I swapped it to maintain the reliability of the car because I plan to drive it. The paper trail that came with the car appears to indicate accurate mileage now at 36,000 but since I plan to drive it and I don't plan to sell it anytime soon (unless somebody at a car show offers me something ridiculous for it), keeping the mileage low won't be a priority. I've followed Jay Leno's philosophy on all 6 of the BMW's I've owned - "Build 'em up to 100% then drive 'em down to 80"...LOL!

Like you, I like to know the history of a car I own. Or in the case of the M Technic model, it's production history. But that's been difficult to come by (at least from my research) on these. Accounts vary...sometimes widely. All I really know for sure is that it's rare...real rare (especially with the mileage this low). And that, along with the sheer joy (and stares of admiration) I get while driving it, made it a worthwhile purchase for me.

One last thing...a Doctor in my area owns one just like mine. I tried to buy his off of him first, but he wouldn't budge. The look, alone, on his face when I pulled into his driveway the day I got mine back from the detailer was worth every penny I paid for it! LOL!

That is all great news. The dealer told me the paint match was terrible initially but, it didn’t show in pictures. His plan was to have it fixed so, it sounds like he did. I asked about the timing belt and any leaks and he said it would be best if I had it checked out by another Indy. It didn’t seem like he was trying to hide anything but, not really willing to go out of his way to put it on his lift and snap some pictures for a cross country buyer either. Great move on the timing belt, he said that was a mystery as well. I would think that at 36k, there would be no reason to remove the valve cover or intake manifold. Although, these cars went to very wealthy people when new so anything is possible. I believe your fabric was in excellent shape as well. My 89k mike car fabric is starting to dry out on the drivers seat bottom so, you have to be under there by a good amount.

I plan to take the same approach. Make it as close to showroom as possible and enjoy the crap out of it. I haven’t even cleaned mine yet! Lol. I have been focused on mechanical stuff and getting other e30s prepped for being a trailer. I will send you a pm with my cell. I would love to see some more pictures.

Comment

Jack, North Carolina
                                9/91 770a Alpine White II/Lotus White Cabrio
                                EC28184
                                Sold New at BMW Of Sarasota

Factory Options

S240 Steering wheel, leather
                                S375 Convertible top, electromech., black
                                S494 Seat heating driver/passenger
                                S530 Air conditioning
                                S540 Cruise control
                                S551 On-board computer II with remote control