So... my e30 got t-boned last week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... my e30 got t-boned last week.

Basically I was heading to work Thursday morning and taking a left turn when the driver of a Subaru, who was stopped at a stop sign, decided to accelerate into the driver's side of my car. Door, B-pillar, rear quarter, and rocker are severely damaged, but repairable.

Now I'm trying to deal with the insurance company (Progressive).

Blue book value of a 1991 318is with 100k miles is like $1500, which we all know is completely off the mark.

As some of you may know I have a lot of time and money into this car, here's a quick list:

S50 w/ approx 80k miles, less than 10k miles on fully rebuilt top end w/ Supertech double valve springs/ Ti retainers.
    Euro HFM
    24# injectors
    Turner/JC software
    Stromung cat-back
    Dinan BBTB

Lightened stock flywheel
    SPEC Stage 2 clutch
    Medium case 3.73LSD

Ground Control 350f/475r
    Koni SA shocks, struts
    Vorshlag camber plates
    OE E30 M3 CABs
    AKG poly subframe bushings and eccentric trailing arm bushings
    Sparco front strut brace
    '95 M3 steering rack
    Momo Competition steering wheel
    Tekniq "Street" quick release

BBS RG003 15x7, et25
    205/50-15 Hankook RS-2
    Rota Slipstream 15x8, et20
    225/45-15 Nitto NT-01 r-comps

MHW smoked tails
    Smoked Euro Ellipsoids
    MHW smoked turn signals
    Euro bumper trim

Alpine headunit
    Alpine V12 5-channel MRV-752
    Elemental Designs 11kv.2 Sub
    Infinity Kappa 6.5" components

VSR rollbar
    Cobra Imola GT seat
    Cobra Monaco seat
    G-Force 6-point harnesses

The car is rust free, and has never been in any serious accidents before this, but the paint is faded and it has quite a few little dents and dings.

I've done all of the work myself over the past 3 years, probably amounting to hundreds of hours. I have receipts for many parts, but many others were bought from private parties and the motor, one of the biggest expenses, was purchased with cash from a salvage yard in RI.

I don't expect the insurance company to just take my word for it when I tell them I have over $10k and hundreds of hours into it. Has anyone else been through this before and what did you do?

Thanks for reading, I'm gonna go throw up now.
    '91 318is
    sigpic

buy back is the only logical decision

Comment

For sure, but I can't fix the car for $1500. I haven't gotten a quote yet, but I'm guessing its at least $4k worth of damage.
      '91 318is
      sigpic

Comment

Ouch, that's really sad to hear, don't let another E30 down. I'm sure you can make it better.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

really sad to hear this. there's a guy that everyone always mentions when it comes to getting the appraisers to give you better value for your car.

i'm going to see if i can find that thread.

*EDIT* found some stuff

more specificallly...thats the guy

best of luck to you!
          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Really sorry to hear that dude...

The only way to know for sure is to talk to someone in your jurisdiction, however that being said I can tell you how things work around here. I haven't been in your situation but I have had to sell my M5 to a guy whose dad was financing the purchase, and insisted the car was insured for what he paid. He didn't want to go through the hassle and argued but the law here is that you get paid what you insured. It makes sense because the underwriters base the premiums off what they know about the car. You can't be insured for an arbitrary amount. If you insure a 1990 E30, you'll be paid fair market value for a 1990 E30 (because this is what your premiums were based on). If you want more coverage, you have to get the car appraised and the policy re-done (not after you file a claim). Most insurance companies around here will drop you at this point (or jack your rate so you'll go running yourself).

If I was in your shoes, after I was done puking, I'd buy it back and either part it or swap the goodies into another shell.

Comment

FUCK. Noooooooooooooooooo. dammit what the hell is happening to all the OGz?!?!!?!?!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your car. Did you have a rider attached to your policy for your Custom parts & Equipment? If not, it may be difficult to get reimbursed for much of it, sorry to say. Your policy should have $1k CP&E included but obviously you've got much more invested. Start looking for your receipts and see what the claim rep can do for you. In the event that is not an option, see what parts you're allowed to remove - this helps us insurance guys out a lot when you can replace your modded stuff with the stock parts.

Also, most insurance companies use NADA for valuation. There is an NADA for "classic" cars that you can find on their website. I was able to find and print out valuation for my '87... see if you can looks yours up in there and that may be able to help a bit. Start looking for comparables on AutoTrader as well as that can help your case too. "Cult" cars like these are tough to attach a value to and I hurt a little inside every time I see one that's totalled in a claim.

Owner retains is always an option. With a car such as yours that you've invested so much into, it may be the best way.
                -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                '95 525iT
                '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                '98 Disco 1

Comment

Dude :( Buy it back and build another.
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Buy another E30, swap everthing. Much cheaper and will have a strait unibody. You could take the time to get a nice paint job while you take everything out. If the M20 is good out of the car you buy, you can sell that too...
                    1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Comment

Originally posted by E30Eric View Post
                      Buy another E30, swap everthing. Much cheaper and will have a strait unibody. You could take the time to get a nice paint job while you take everything out. If the M20 is good out of the car you buy, you can sell that too...

+1 This is what I would do. Sorry to hear about your loss :(
                      ** Lot's of M20 turbo parts for sale.**

Turn key track car.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222066

Comment

wtf?? omg OK the funny thing is that this happened to me in my e34. But the bad thing is the fucking insurance company. I feel you man. This fucking bite. I hope the best for you man.

Comment

sorry to hear.

will you be parting out?

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
                          function>form

Comment

people are talking about his insurance coverage and saying theyre going to determine value. his insurance doesn't matter, because it wasn't his fault. its the other persons insurance he has to deal with.
                            http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Hey there Brew, Its been a LONG time since I been around and it suck to come back and here of your shitty situation. You got pics of the damage?? If you need a home for the S50 let me know ;)
                              sigpic
                              Wastedincome420@yahoo.com

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
                              00' e38 750iL HighLine=Highway Queen
                              92' e30 318 vert=Aint going anywhere
                              91' e34 535iM=Aint going anywhere
                              91' e34 525iA=For parts
                              92' e34 535iA=For parts

Comment

Working...
                              X