Redesigned the E30 Simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redesigned the E30 Simulator

As many of you know, the E30 simulator was built from a basic frame, and slowly added to, prototyped if you will.

The main issue with this was simple, it got out of hand, I had circuits that were tapping into other circuits, boards that were double sided sticky taped to random parts of the sim, and no real organization when it came to the design of the electronics.

I decided earlier this week to completely strip the electronics from the sim, and redesign them to not just do it properly, but to show them off in a nice case.

Of course all the functions are still there, OBC, Instrument Cluster, Radio/CD Changer, Horn, E-Brake, etc.

I also added some additional function. The LCD bolted to the back of the main screen provides lap time information, and stats on the car as its being driven. I put it on the back so people could casually glance at the screen to see if the top lap has been beaten.

The cockpit itself is pretty much the same,

However, when you get to the back, things start to change.

The new electronics module contains all the components required to operate the simulator, including dual power supplies, pc itself, signal generators, usb keyboard emulators, and the fuse panel to ensure nothing blows up (using oem BMW fuses and relays too :) ) The entire unit slides out and connects via one large Molex connector, Dual Power cords, and one DB37 connector (minus the computer connections of course)

I need to replace the top piece of plexi as it cracked while I was drilling it, but if you look past that you can see I layed everything out as nicely as I could.

The board itself took over 20 hours to build, about half of that was spent saying SHIT, I need to buy another danm connector...

I also added an LCD to the back of the simulator which reports the current lap times, and car stats.

Other then that, all the functions still work as intended

I need to fix a few little things, but the other addition is a complete removable main harness that connects all the features to the electronics module (which you can see plugged into the left of the box)

Thats all, enjoy ;)

Vids?!
    -Pierre
    1987 535is
    1988 325is

Comment

.. the best god damn thing i've ever seen.

Comment

most impressive!
        sigpic
        Evolution of My E30 M3Recent PicsSC*AR

Comment

WOW. that is all.
          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
            Vids?!
            Older, but you get the gist of it.

Comment

Put a fucking trim ring around that cluster James.lol

This sim is very fun, had a blast last year, see you at the party.
              -Andy

Comment

Whatever game you have on that now is SO much better to drive than the other one (08 version).

I can't wait 'till I have time to build a real console for that damn thing, something that evokes the E30, but with "fewer" wooden parts.

BTW, if you can do wiring like that, care to explain the E28?

nothin' but love for ya, brother.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Clutch and gear lever work as intended?

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                  RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

BTW, if you can do wiring like that, care to explain the E28?

Luke
                    Hah! Ummm, I wanted to surprise you!..yeah that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
                      Clutch and gear lever work as intended?
                      Of course :)

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardmonkey View Post
                        Put a fucking trim ring around that cluster James.lol

This sim is very fun, had a blast last year, see you at the party.
                        I need to modify the dash brace so the cluster can sit back farther, which requires me to basically take the entire thing apart...yeah I know I need to do it.

Comment

What do the window switches do?

Looks amazing. I don't even want to ask how you got the OBC to work...

Comment

WTF???

this is nuts.

i love it.
                            Originally posted by Holland
                            There should be a restraining order to keep kids 100 feet from that car at all times. Plus execution on the sight to anyone who places a shopping cart within 200 feet of the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                              I need to modify the dash brace so the cluster can sit back farther, which requires me to basically take the entire thing apart...yeah I know I need to do it.
                              Haha, yea I remember you saying that when we were giving you shit about it last year.

Do you still have a bunch of those trim pieces?
                              -Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X