Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Poor Man's M50 3.0l Stroker Dyno Numbers are in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Poor Man's M50 3.0l Stroker Dyno Numbers are in.

Numbers are in on the poor man's 3.0l M50 Stroker. (AKA The Halfassenberg 3.1l M50)

Technically a 3050cc engine.

Mustang Dyno -> 183rwhp / 167tq

Worth mentioning - Barry had a lifter completely die on him in the past 2-3 weeks and it started as an on / off noisey lifter and was completely dead by the time his dyno was scheduled. It was ticking louder than a M20.

Specs:

M50 Vanos Block
    M54B30 3.0l Crankshaft
    M54B30 Rods
    M54B30 Pistons
    S52B32 Camshafts / Lifters / Trays
    3" MAF
    M50 Non-Vanos Cylinder Head (Fitted with VANOS)
    Technica Motorsports 91 Octane 3.0l M50 Tune (413 ECU)

Guestimate 10-12%+ if on a DynoJet and 5%+ more once he replaces all his lifters.

Roughly making 220hp-230hp at the crank.

Was hoping for a little better than that... :/

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
      Right? I was secretly hoping this would convince me to swap in a 24V versus turbo'ing the M42. Guess not.
      1991 318i SOLD
      2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
        Just a 413 ecu with a technica chip, I would not expected much more than that either. Maybe if it had some more tuning done to the chip it might make more. Much like any other 3.0L M/S50

Do you have dyno plot. How does it look? Flat or all over the place.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

dang. coulda done better with an 3.0l M20 ;)
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Not really, no boring of block needed and no timing belt is a big plus to me. Not that replacing a belt is that big of a deal.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Interesting. There's definitely more in that motor.

Comment

Decent numbers, but definitely more to be had. Greg is probably right about the power curve though, nice and flat.
                Originally posted by BillBrasky
                E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
                1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
                1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
                1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
                2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

Definitely a lot of potential power with that set up.
                  Function.
                  Form.
                  sigpic

Comment

somethings up the m52 in my car did 210hp / 190tq, at 2.8L, s52 cams, headers, m50 intake and Trm Chip for above mods.

Comment

my m50b28 made 210whp/195wtq on a dynojet with s50 cams, 21#, headers, stock maf.

maybe bad tune?

Comment

Originally posted by ChefSkinny View Post
                        somethings up the m52 in my car did 210hp / 190tq, at 2.8L, s52 cams, headers, m50 intake and Trm Chip for above mods.
                        I find it hard to believe a 2.8l would make that kind of power at the wheels on a Mustang Dyno. Calculated for drivetrain loss (20%) that would mean you claim your m52 makes 252 crank hp which is more than a stock S52 3.2l.

More power could be made in replacing the lifters but something to remember is that compression ratio is closer to 10:1~10.5:1 not 11+ like stock M5x/S5x motors have.

I will post the print out later today.

Comment

Originally posted by bullet ride View Post
                          interesting. There's definitely more in that motor.
                          +1

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                            I find it hard to believe a 2.8l would make that kind of power at the wheels on a Mustang Dyno. Calculated for drivetrain loss (20%) that would mean you claim your m52 makes 252 crank hp which is more than a stock S52 3.2l.

More power could be made in replacing the lifters but something to remember is that compression ratio is closer to 10:1~10.5:1 not 11+ like stock M5x/S5x motors have.

I will post the print out later today.
                            Is there any way to check if the vanos is working/runing?

Comment

Originally posted by King Mufasa View Post
                              Is there any way to check if the vanos is working/runing?
                              Yes, shows on the print out. Kicks in ~ 3500 / 3700ish.

I think you guys are overestimating based on most dynos posted are on DynoJets (usually 10-12% higher read outs than Mustang) and the fact that compression is lower which is definitely a factor.

M50 deck height is higher than a M54 so the best route on a 3.0l stroker build would be to have a machine shop deck the block a few mm. How much? IDK.. I haven't had time to figure the calculations out.

If on a DynoJet it would have been 201whp / 183tq still considering the dead lifter and lower compression ratios.
                              Last edited by RobertK; 03-28-2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X