mtx thunder 8000's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by backlife
    why is it that no one talked about their subs before this?

-adam
    Because there are far more important things to do then talk about who can bump the loudest.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Bump diddy bump ba booom buuuuuhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmp rummmbbbbbblleee. Booom clacka bang pow wow BUMP!

Did you like my virtual system? Its BUMPIN YOH! To bad my car doesnt run and I can only listen to it when its hooked up to the battery charger.
      Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan

-adam
        Because there are far more important things to do then talk about who can bump the loudest.
        Well put! Yet for some reason I have "Who Shakes The Best" stuck in my head now. Oh wait, most here are prolly too young to know what I am talking about.

Comment

[/quote]I never really was a JL fan until a buddy of mine played me his 10" W7 powered by the JL 500/1, and it completely embarrassed my old setup of 2 kicker comp VR 12s seeing 500W a piece.quote]
          I have the same setup in my car, one JL 10"W7 and a JL 500/1 and it knocks. Pretty expensive shit though.....I paid $750 for the package and the amp was used. Right now my W7 is only powered halfway because it handles up to 1000watts, so I can't imagine what it sounds like fully powered.

SOLD: My feature http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/04/a...ss-bmw-e30-m3/

Comment

Originally posted by FergU
            Originally posted by Jordan

-adam
            Well put! Yet for some reason I have "Who Shakes The Best" stuck in my head now. Oh wait, most here are prolly too young to know what I am talking about.

Gwa?

Sold it.

Comment

I'll stick with JL. I've never heard anything bad about JL, even their build quality.

To whomever has the IDMAX, it's a good sub, very good. My buddy has an IDMAX 12", and he says my W7 sounds better and plays louder.

I disagree somewhat with the MB Quarts. They are very finicky about how they are powered, and seem very fragile to me. I'm told by many owners if they aren't powered correctly, they sound horrible, and the margin of error is small, so a small diff. in power can mean big concessions in the SQ dept.

Strokers are good, but are old technology. I'll doubt the stroker 12 will compete with the W7. The excursion values and effective piston area alone on the W7 may even allow it to outperform the Stroker 15.

Where most subs have excursion values (Xmax) of a couple CM, the W7 is doing SEVERAL inches, yet keeping close to the same piston area as a high roll surround 15" sub.

The trapezoid shaped cone allows the cone to be VERY strong, but also allows JL to use lighter materials.

Most measure their subs in Ounces. The W7 is 44 POUNDS!!!!!

JL doesn't make a 15W7, but they make a 13W7 which is 13.5"

The 12" W7 will take 1500Wrms, the 13W7, 2000Wrms, those ar ethe same numbers as the MTX RFL15 used for competition vehicles, and it's 1.5" smaller.

I'll try to find some specs for the CV stroker.

I will still stand by the W7 as one of the best subs on the market right now. I have 1 12" that embarasses most 2 12" systems with more power, and i am only throwing 775Wrms at the W7.
              Nick

87 325 5MT
              02 IS300 5MT

Comment

MTX 9500 vs Jl W7

Comment

Re: MTX 9500 vs Jl W7

Originally posted by nitro325is
                  http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/headtohead/w7.cfm

:roll: We all know that companies make their product out to be the shit...lets see some 3rd party comparisons.

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

Re: MTX 9500 vs Jl W7

Originally posted by MattE30
                    Originally posted by nitro325is
                    http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/headtohead/w7.cfm

:roll: We all know that companies make their product out to be the shit...lets see some 3rd party comparisons.
                    Agreed.

Sold it.

Comment

Oh well, I was just going to post about MTX's 9500 series... looks like some big competition for W7's.

Comment

Originally posted by 808BMW
                        Oh well, I was just going to post about MTX's 9500 series... looks like some big competition for W7's.
                        Ha!

Funny how they fail to mention Piston area at all. To have that kind of excursion, it has to have a high roll surround, which means piston area is compromised.

Just for kicks, lets ASSUME, PLEASE NOTE: ASSUME, the piston diameter on the W7(from inner edge of surround to other inner egde) is 11", while the MTX is only 10" because they cannot use the rollover surround technology (JL patented it). Sure the MTX has an Xmax of a mere .10" more, but lets look at surface area compromised to do so.

JL = 95.03 sq inches
                        MTX = 78.53 sq inches

That is a MASSIVE difference in piston area. The JL will be moving 16 sq inches more air than the MTX. Granted these are just arbitrary numbers, but look at where small difference make a big difference. Mtx totally ommitted that.

Here's their claim on that:

JLW7 uses time-consuming o-ring mounting with non-standard hole and screw pattern. Requires installation training. Some disassembly required MTX uses a standard, intuitive hole pattern, can be installed in about the same time as traditional woofers, and uses installer-designed terminals
                        There is a reason for the nonstandard mounting, and that is for increased piston area. I like MTX, but my brother couldn't run 2 Tunder 8000s at 4-ohms with his Memphis 500D (awesome amp, ridiculous power), and their power ratings claim they can take it.

He went through about 6 of them before he changed subs.

Perhaps Jordan will chime in as well on this one, lets look at frequency response and more importantly, SENSITIVITY levels. MTX subs have never been able to reach higher than 85.5dB. The higher that number, the louder they can play cleanly.

We'll see what happens when one comes out. Fact is, every one is still chasing JL, as usual. They are the BMWs of Sub design and building.
                        Nick

87 325 5MT
                        02 IS300 5MT

Comment

Working...
                        X