Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 318 Zender Rebuild

Hi all,

Starting a thread for a full rebuild on an 84 318i with a full Zender kit. We will be keeping the M10 and will be shooting for 140-150 crank hp NA. Motor will be rebuilt for higher HP likely in winter/spring 17/18. The car has sat for many years above a shop. New floors have been put in since it's an Ohio car that was driven year yound until the early 90s. Currently the entire interior is stripped for cleaning. I've shampooed the carpet twice with Chemical Guys and barely done anything. It is the beige which has seen better days. Here it currently sits and one in it's glory days. I will document the process as I can. I'll be very busy reading other threads I'm sure!

Take care,

ZK

Last edited by ZEKTI; 02-14-2019, 08:31 PM.
    OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
    84 318i M10 Zender

Neat car! Everyone here is going to tell you not to waste your money on an M10 and to swap a different engine in. Just stick to doing what YOU want, not what random internet people tell you. I have an 85 318i that I put a microsquirt system in along with a lightweight flywheel and a 4.10lsd. Its not fast but its fun, simple, and easy to work on. 140-150hp at the crank should be pretty easy with a 2L crank, bigger pistons, a cam, and a tunable computer.

Comment

I also have an 85 318. I love the M10, I'm going with FI though

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm always down for a Zender car. Looking forward to your progress
        Last edited by Reichart12; 12-22-2016, 12:46 PM.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Plan is to stay NA. Just going to make it more peppy and the motor, while runs, isn't in the best condition. Did a full fluid change and it now leaks almost a constant stream from the back end of the motor. It's all going to be stripped down so no worries but there is a lot of work to be done. It's moves but rear drums appear to be seized/lots of noises. No gauges except speedometer and fuel. Everything rubber will need replaced.

Thebutterson - Orginally the plan was to swap in a new motor and shoot for big power but decided against it. Not going to try and make the car something it isn't if that makes sense. I've been thinking about the 410 route for it as well. I'm currently rocking a 410 in my swapped e36 compact/built M52. While not the best for DD highway it would be plenty of enjoyment on the backroads.
          OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
          84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

I'm running a 4.10 on my 85 318i
            It's a terrific gear for the car. I'm not changing it until I make bigger power numbers

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Worked on it a little over the holiday weekend.

Starting to layout what is left usable on on the car

Finished up some flooring and cleaning the carpet. Some spots on the carpet will need redone. Cleaned with brush and Chemical Guys Fabric Cleaner. The carpet had been stored in plastic totes for 15+ years. After a heavy dilution of fabric cleaner and lots of hot water it's starting to smell normal.

Did some simple cleaning of the seats but there are still some stubborn areas that will need a stronger cleaning agent.

Aged door cards, I doubt there is a simple way to bring these back.

Current state of the interior

Need the Zender front bumper, got lost over time.

Paint isn't too bad but some bad rust spots. Unsure of what's underneath the bodykit. :-?

Nest is for me to watch the forums for replacement parts and hopefully that Zender bumper. Going to start putting the interior together while tearing into the motor and drivetrain. Looking like rust and time has rendered a decent amount unusable.
              OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
              84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Nice build, definitely following this! I love old tuner style bmw's and Zender doesn't get enough love these days! The front bumper should not be to hard to find, german ebay is still well stocked with zender stuff.

And do keep the m10, less weight and plenty fun
                Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Always happy to see another active Michigan member. I also love seeing the older tuner brands getting some love. There was a guy on the Grand Rapids CL selling a new Zender front spoiler.

The rust damage at the base of the C-pillar is very worrying, however.
                  My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by bostonvert View Post
                    Nice build, definitely following this! I love old tuner style bmw's and Zender doesn't get enough love these days! The front bumper should not be to hard to find, german ebay is still well stocked with zender stuff.

And do keep the m10, less weight and plenty fun
                    I too miss the diversity of the 80s and 90s brands. Trying to find one stateside as to avoid the cost of international shipping on something so large. I do frequent Ebay.de Trying to convince myself that this http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E30-ZENDE...8AAOSwQYZWxfnV Zender POD isn't needed.

E30Wagen - I recently moved from Toledo and can't believe how much worse the infrastructure is. I can feel my e36 crying during this time of year. Thanks for the CL post, already sent a message. As for rust on the C-Pillar plan is to just put it back together then take to a professional for evaluation. Haven't ruled out a cage if it can take it for safety reasons.

Carpets dried and back in
                    Last edited by ZEKTI; 12-29-2016, 11:36 AM.
                    OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                    84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Worked on the rear drum brakes and got them disassembled for a rebuild. Thankfully they slid off with relative ease and rust wasn't too big of a concern.

Got the front seats in. Used some Mothers VLR on the seats and cleaned ok. Still need some work on certain spots with a stronger vinyl cleaner. New floor mats ordered.

OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                      84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Originally posted by ZEKTI View Post
                        Worked on the rear drum brakes and got them disassembled for a rebuild. Thankfully they slid off with relative ease and rust wasn't too big of a concern.
                        Might want to upgrade to the rear discs that every other model had.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Inspiration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          1987 BMW 325is,(M3 S50 Swapped)-Current
                          2010 FJ Cruiser, aka E30 Support Vehicle-(Daily)
                          2008 Scion xB Lowered
                          2001 BMW 325i
                          1995 BMW 318ti
                          1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
                          1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

My Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ZEKTI View Post
                            I too miss the diversity of the 80s and 90s brands. Trying to find one stateside as to avoid the cost of international shipping on something so large. I do frequent Ebay.de Trying to convince myself that this http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E30-ZENDE...8AAOSwQYZWxfnV Zender POD isn't needed.

E30Wagen - I recently moved from Toledo and can't believe how much worse the infrastructure is. I can feel my e36 crying during this time of year. Thanks for the CL post, already sent a message. As for rust on the C-Pillar plan is to just put it back together then take to a professional for evaluation. Haven't ruled out a cage if it can take it for safety reasons.

Carpets dried and back in
                            Very cool but bmw 'rare' parts prices are getting ridiculous, even shipping is a fortune!
                            Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Very cool to see an early car getting some love with Zender parts.
                              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                              X