Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The i3 and the E30

Quote - "What’s old is new again, and I found it in the i3"

While silently motoring along in the i3 like a glass-dome hooded extraterrestrial, I happened to stumble across an E30. This humble 325i was parked along

Laugh.

Whatever.
    2011 1M Alpine white/black
    1996 Civic white/black
    1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Sounds promising... I really am looking forward to driving it.
      I could see myself buying an electric car in a few years.

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

Uglier than sin.
        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Until they work out how to make electric cars RWD and Manual (with a clutch pedal), I have zero interest.

Comment

E30 good looking, great design, has a motor, and a manual transmission that drives the rear wheels.

I3 God awful ugly. Looks like a deformed egg. Electric and total fail. Might be fine for a Prius driver who is looking for an even uglier vehicle but aside from that its a total failure in aesthetic design. Who cares beyond that? An ugly car is an ugly car no matter how great of a car it might be. Just look at the Pontiac Aztec. This thing is even uglier.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Huh? They already can make electric cars RWD. Most of, if not all of them are single speed - so manual with a clutch wouldn't really do much. The Model S is RWD and in its fastest form goes from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. Not bad for a midsize luxury sedan with 1 gear. It's not what I would buy with ~100k, but it's still interesting.

Look - it's a small city car. It's about maximum interior volume in a small exterior package. I don't love the exterior, but it avoids the cardinal sin of blandness, and the interior is fantastic. Modern and minimal - great materials, textures and finishes that you don't usually find in a car.
              diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

Wow. BMW really fucked that one up

edit: Looks wise.
                -1987 325is coupe(SOLD)
                -1990 325i sedan

Comment

Our next car will be electric when the lease is up on our VW TDI wagon in 2 years. Hopefully Tesla will have their less expensive i3 beater sooner rather than later. If not we may go for the model X. http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx. Except for looks the i3 is pretty impressive technology.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                    Until they work out how to make electric cars RWD and Manual (with a clutch pedal), I have zero interest.
                    here you go.

before you say something about it, they did say they had a 5 speed in it.

Comment

Originally posted by word is bond View Post
                      Huh? They already can make electric cars RWD. Most of, if not all of them are single speed - so manual with a clutch wouldn't really do much. The Model S is RWD and in its fastest form goes from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. Not bad for a midsize luxury sedan with 1 gear. It's not what I would buy with ~100k, but it's still interesting.

Look - it's a small city car. It's about maximum interior volume in a small exterior package. I don't love the exterior, but it avoids the cardinal sin of blandness, and the interior is fantastic. Modern and minimal - great materials, textures and finishes that you don't usually find in a car.
                      the point is we want something that has more then one gear. Me? i would much rather have it with 5 speeds even if that made it slower. and the clutch makes doing the fun stuff just a little bit better.

if someone makes a 1500kg, rwd, 5/6 speed electric car with a clutch pedal i would buy it in a heart beat.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKing View Post
                        the point is we want something that has more then one gear. Me? i would much rather have it with 5 speeds even if that made it slower. and the clutch makes doing the fun stuff just a little bit better.

if someone makes a 1500kg, rwd, 5/6 speed electric car with a clutch pedal i would buy it in a heart beat.

Exactly. The clutch and gears are what makes a car fun.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKing View Post

You wanting a clutch doesn't change engineering.

Early electric cars had way too many problems trying to incorporate a transmission, and then there is the fact that the cars don't need them.

Tesla S does 130 without the need for a transmission, the motor spins to a high enough RPM.

Not trying to hate, just making a simple observation.
                          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                            Exactly. The clutch and gears are what makes a car fun.
                            Maybe you forgot the purpose of what a clutch and gears are for. When your car can produce 100% torque instantly with one gear, the need for a clutch and multi gear transmission goes away. I love manuals but after driving the Tesla S, I'll take the 100% instant torque any day over a multi gear transmission. Way for fun.
                            sigpic

Comment

the i8 is badass. the i3.. I'd rather pretend it doesn't exist.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X