Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Streichholzschächtelchen View Post
    Buy a rollcage.
    I remember I told my mom I wanted a rollcage for my own safety. She said it would make the car less safe because then I will hit my head on the metal bars in an accident.

Comment

She isn't wrong....
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Stupid parents trying to look out for their kids and shit.
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

When I was shopping for a first car I wanted a NA or NB miata, but my mom thought they were fast sports cars, so they got me a 99 540i 6 speed... I do own an e30 rn as the 540 was killing me on gas and I got a good offer on it and sold it for a profit, but my parents dont ever want me in another e30 after it only lasted 14 days with rod knock. Wanna buy my m50 swapped one now :P Honestly I dont know how I ended up with either e39 or e30, before buying both cars I looked at some crappy ZX's which really turned my dad off and made the e39 and e30 look 10x better, try that I guess lol.
          '99 Aspen silver e39 540i/6 (first car, sold)
          '91 Schwarz e30 325i vert M50 swap(traded)
          '95 Arktis grau e34 530i 5 speed (4.0 swapped, sold)
          '01 Jet black e46 330ci 5 speed (traded)
          '98 Arctic silver e36 328i daily drifter (traded)
          '91 Nissan 240sx s13 hatch ka24de (driftbucket 4sale)
          '89 Bronzit e30 sedan (new project)

Comment

Wow, this makes me incredibly thankful for the way my dad raised me. I was taught to live life to it's max, and not to let the thought of all the bad things that *could* happen run it. I couldn't even remember all the close calls I've had. Those moments are what I live for, though. No better drug in the world than a good old adrenaline rush.

My first high school car was a '63 Chevy C10. 4 Wheel drum brakes, manual steering, 3 speed manual (on the tree) and a semi-built SBC. IMO the best way to learn braking distances, read traffic, throttle control, separating steering input from the brakes.. Everything I drove after that was a walk in the park.

Like a couple other people have said, wait until you're 18 then buy one anyways.

Comment

First car was a 67 Chevy II. Same deal, three on the tree, six pot, drum brakes. Dad said it was the only car he would ever buy me, and iv think he paid $700 for it.

The following Christmas, he gave me two cans of primer, and told me to repaint it!

Good times!

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I can just see the OP reading all this heart felt advice and then saying "dad, is it ok if I buy a Buick ?"
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

My parents didn't want me to buy an E30 . They didn't want me to have a money pit . They were strongly against it . (In high school about 6 years ago).

I eventually just bought a $500 one , brought it home . And my parents were furious . I didn't care though , they eventually saw it was my passion . And it was the worst thing they could of done not letting me have a car I could wrench on . Now I'm a Mercedes Benz tech . All because I taught myself how to work on cars .

That's my story . Fuck your parents , go buy the car you want. Life's too short. I met most of my friends and have gone on so many adventures , just because I bought a shitty $500 E30.
                  1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                  1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                  1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Similar to Tim up there, my parents were against an e30 as my first car for the fact it'd be a money pit, and they weren't wrong. I was on Craigslist every day waiting for one to pop up in my price range. Every time a nice affordable one popped up they would turn it down. Ended up getting a handy down 02-03 Sentra soon after turning 18 and it was a great daily driver, don't regret it one bit.

OP you're presumably 17, probably don't have much cash flow coming in to fix up an e30 and I would say wait till you're 18+ and have a steady reliable job. I'm glad I waited a year before selling the Sentra off and buying my first e30. It actually sat for a few months while I gathered all the parts necessary to re-do the failed water pump that broke a few other things(BMW parts take a toll on a high school graduate). Seriously, it's worth the wait.

Also, don't buy an e30 just to have one. I almost bought a lemon cause I was hooked on the idea of having an e30. Boy did I dodge a bullet there.

Comment

STORY TIME!

I met this poor sod from Clist, some kid, maybe like 16, had just bought an e30 for his first car. Parents were making him sell it because no airbag bullshit.

I checked teh car over....it was an early model....with the rear from a late car welded on.

Told the kid, sorry, not for me.....GLWS.....after pointing out the awful body work.

/storytime
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

They don't want you to have an E30...but I do.
                        Steve • Toronto
                        1991 318is • Brillantrot
                        Build Thread

Comment

I'm seeing all these posts about people having to basically fight for their E30's, and I'm just sitting
                          here with my hand me down 318i from my grandpa. Its a fixer-upper but I'm feeling pretty grateful lol

Comment

Tell them its an e30 or drugs. They would rather see you work hard and get parts for your car then do drugs or drink wildly.... Just kidding but my parents do complain about how many e30's I have (Four) But i just tell them I could be doing worst things then having four cars that always need alittle TLC. Good luck.

Comment

...better yet. Ask for a horse.

At least with a car - you can park it for a few months, put a tarp over it and ignore it. ASPCA might be visiting you if you try that with a horse.
                              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                              2016 Ford Flex
                              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

When my kids get to driving age I would be ecstatic if they wanted an older car.

I want to get them each a beater and do a father-son/daughter project together. The hope is that it will be a good bonding experience as well as give them something to be proud of/appreciate.

I won't push what I want on them though, because they will be spending their money on it so whatever. I think my Daughter is going to be a gearhead like me though, she always wants to help me work on the S4, and going for a ride in it is always a welcomed treat.

As for safety, I suppose I'll have to trust that I raised them to be responsible (enough). But who am I kidding, by the time they have their license they will have plenty of experience driving. (Carts, ect.)

I don't look at kids as a drag, just little people to share my passion with!
                                No E30 Club
                                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X