Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iX rear suspension overhaul partslist

Hey guys,

When replacing my rotor's the other day, I noticed a small rust spot at the rear right wheel well where the fuel lines go into the body of the car.
    As I want to replace this rust with some fresh sheetmetal, I'll have to remove the fuellines and the fuel tank to make welding on the car save.

I plan on removing the rear subframe too, to make it a bit easier for maneuvering the tank out of there. Also the rear trailing arm bushings are cracked. Might as well regrease the front shaft and replace the guibo's of the driveshafts too when I'm under the car.

I already made a parts list of parts that I want to order but would like to get a second opinion from you guys, especially about the drive shafts as I'm not sure if I got everything I need (still pretty new with the iX stuff). I noticed the previous owner did the washer mod but I would like to give the rear guibo/X5 flange mod a try.

I you guys know of other things that I should tackle while being there or I forgot parts to add to my list. Please comment them below/in the doc :)

Thank you

1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

take the rear seat out a few days in advanced and soak the sub frame bolts where they come through, or you might be in for a fight getting it separated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

You don't mention it if it's an automatic or manual transmission but while you're in there if it's a manual transmission you might want to rebuild the shifter mechanism (they get sloppy with higher mileage) since you're going to have the rear drive shaft out anyway to do the guibos. Yeah it's a bit more work because you're going to have to drop the back of the transfer case and possibly even remove the transfer case but since you're there might be something to think about doing.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
      Angus
      88 E30M3 X2
      89 325IX
      92 R100GS/PD
      :)

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
        take the rear seat out a few days in advanced and soak the sub frame bolts where they come through, or you might be in for a fight getting it separated.

Thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
        You don't mention it if it's an automatic or manual transmission but while you're in there if it's a manual transmission you might want to rebuild the shifter mechanism (they get sloppy with higher mileage) since you're going to have the rear drive shaft out anyway to do the guibos. Yeah it's a bit more work because you're going to have to drop the back of the transfer case and possibly even remove the transfer case but since you're there might be something to think about doing.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
        It's a manual. Thanks, good idea to redo the shifter too although it's not that sloppy as of now.. I'll think about it.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post

I don't really see what good this does. Everything that sticks does so from below. And unless the bolts have been popped out before, this area will be sealed from the top as well.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
            Thanks for the tip!

It's a manual. Thanks, good idea to redo the shifter too although it's not that sloppy as of now.. I'll think about it.
            Strongly recommend doing the shifter. Once you have the exhaust and driveshaft off, it's very little additional work to pull the transfer case.
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
              I don't really see what good this does. Everything that sticks does so from below. And unless the bolts have been popped out before, this area will be sealed from the top as well.
              Every time I've done them the collar around the bolt seizes to the car. I know spraying penetrating fluid from the top isn't a direct path to the problem areas but it does seem to help.

Another tip for the po is to tap the steel collar out on the bushing then thread a bolt up into it is believe 1/2 works. Then you can beat it down from in the car.

Best of luck

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                Strongly recommend doing the shifter. Once you have the exhaust and driveshaft off, it's very little additional work to pull the transfer case.
                Quick question, is it ok to use the rebuild kit from ESC Tuning? As they don't list the 325iX for their kit?

It turns out the "Shifter Arm Bracket - With Bushing" costs already 94€ at the place where I buy all my BMW parts.. would save me some €€

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Yes that kit from ECS will work. The 2wd "shifter arm bracket" uses the same bushing as the ix bracket.

This is what I bought when I did my shifter. https://store.garagistic.com/E30-del...er-bushing-kit

Garagistic also makes a ix specific dssr https://store.garagistic.com/e30-325...m?search=325ix

Comment

Working...
                  X