Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft Sales Rec

Hello,

The PPi on my car recommended replacing driveshaft, as well as torn center support bearing.

Mechanic is pretty well regarded on these forums so without naming names, I'm going to heed their advice.

Can someone recommend a decent vendor for an 87 325 rebuilt driveshaft?

Last thread on this I can find is from 2006.

Thanks,
    MC

Powertrain Industries has been getting a lot of positive press these days.

I used to like Driveline Service of Portland a lot, but haven't used them recently,
    and I'm not sure if they're still doing it. If they are, they have been very good to me.

Odd to find a bad driveshaft on a ppi- my instinct would be to assume it's bad,
    BUT pull it first to change the CSB, and inspect it then. They almost always
    fail with binding u- joints, something you can only find with the thing out.
    Unless it's spit needles!

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

what month is your 87? There was a change from 9/87 to 6/88. Dorman has a remanuf. one for $400 or so. That's what I got. Good thing about those (at least the one I got), joints are c-clipped therefore serviceable unlike stock unit. Rebuilt shaft, balanced, serviceable in the future.....$400 is a bargain IMO.

part # 936-368 for '87 up to September production month

Comment

I got my driveshaft from here for my 11/87 M3.
        My center support bearing was torn but I had no noise. I just decided to replace guibo and CBI and when I took it off, the back joint were kind of hard/sticking when you moved them back and forth. Decided to replace the driveshaft. I'm pretty sure you have read that not to get a rebuilt one with greasable joints as you will not be able to grease them unless you drop the exhaust and heat shield.

Comment

Originally posted by eLKuRLy View Post
          I'm pretty sure you have read that not to get a rebuilt one with greasable joints as you will not be able to grease them unless you drop the exhaust and heat shield.

I should've been more clear, sorry. Joints on Dorman shaft that I got are not greasable, they are sealed units but serviceable (easily removable). They aren't pinned like OEM but use standard c-clip and yokes have machined groves. I wish bmw used that from the factory like 90% of car manufacturers do.

Comment

Working...
          X