Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring a C101 Connector: Geting Pins, Crimpers and a Cheap Pin Removal Tool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great find!

That is a great find on the crimper...

People that don't do this in large numbers may get by with lesser crimpers, but at least from the image on the site, this one does both crimps at once the wire section as well as the insulation.

I actually paid a small fortune for the BMW tool and its die set for the 4 smallest amp connectors.

To do the S54 transplant project properly, those small pins for the DME's connectors are tough to get right.

They use a barrel crimp for the wire, (think capital "B" lying on its back), where the insulation is NOT a barrel crimp, rather it is a compression, and the tangs don't overlap, or meet in the middle, they sort of are angled, and bypass each other.

For these C101/X20 connectors you will probably be able to get by with this tool, ie using a Barrel crimp on the insulation section as well.

I've been working a bunch on the relays and fuses, and their contacts....This would probably work well on those too.

At this price... man, its a steal.
    sigpic
    Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
    http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

You could just solder the wires into the pins no? It wouldn't be as strong as the crimp because you wouldn't have the insulation crimp I guess though.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

You could, but soldering should be used as a last resort for crimp connections, soldering can make the insulation and wire brittle.

-Cam
        Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Spaz, great writeup mate, but i have just a couple of quick questions. Forgive me if i've overlooked something.

Are you pushing the pins out of the C101 Engine side connector? Are you re-using that connector for your new pin connections? Just wondering since you had the c101 it in the parts list.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by herlsy View Post
            Spaz, great writeup mate, but i have just a couple of quick questions. Forgive me if i've overlooked something.

Are you pushing the pins out of the C101 Engine side connector? Are you re-using that connector for your new pin connections? Just wondering since you had the c101 it in the parts list.

Cheers.
            The new c101 connector is cheap, so I just bought a new one,

Allowing me to keep my m20 harness together for the purchaser when i sell the motor.

-Cam
            Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

I'd been thinking that a piece of 3/8" 32 pitch threaded onto the coax connector would make this more like a tool...

I had a dream about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                I'd been thinking that a piece of 3/8" 32 pitch threaded onto the coax connector would make this more like a tool...

I had a dream about it...
                It totally would just didn't get around to it yet!
                Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

Most helpful thread on r3v... Thank you, sir.

Comment

you've inspired me... Made my own tool from brass fittings.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                      you've inspired me... Made my own tool from brass fittings.
                      As far as the self made tool, can i get this from home depot?

Comment

Thanks for the info! I made my own c101 connector on my m50 harness, works like a charm.
                        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Thanks for bumping this. Exactly what I needed. Should be pinned.
                          S52 Swap

Shtuff For Sale

Comment

Yeah, no idea why this isn't stickied. I used this for my harness as well.
                            2008 335i - n54b30
                            1991 318i - m52b28
                            1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Used it for my harness as well, with "lesser" crimpers that worked fine.

The co-ax cable end was the perfect tool to remove the old pins. Just had to wiggle it around a bit to loosen the pins up in the plastic bores, and they pulled right out!
                              Current:
                              1991 325i Sedan - S50 Swap
                              1988 325i Cabrio

Past:
                              1991 M3
                              1991 318is
                              1985 325e

Comment

Fairly old bump, but why are you guys pushing your old pins out? Looks like you are just cutting the wires anyway...
                                That or I may be missing something lol

Comment

Working...
                                X