Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix Touring rear rotors

Hey guys,

I want to redo the rear brakes on my ix touring so I went ahead an bought new (Brembo) rotors, pads, E brake pads & cables.
    When changing my rear dampers this weekend, I noticed the rear rotors on the touring are vented.. the ones I bought are not.

Seems like I ordered the wrong rotors. I checked realoem for the partno and began searching. Came to the conclusion these are not available anymore..? I also asked my local BMW dealer, leebmann24 (German shop that carries all BMW parts) if these are still available.. Turns out they can't get them.

Would I be able to use the Brembo rotors on the touring? Will this work with the original calipers?
    Does someone know where these are still available (I live in Europe though..)

And I know I should have checked the part no and my current rotors before buying (wrong) new ones..

Thanks,
    Martijn
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

My rear rotors are oe and not vented.
    Build Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
    Parts Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
      My rear rotors are oe and not vented.
      Is this a sedan/coupe or touring?
      It seems like the only the ix Touring had venter rotors in the rear.
      Realoem states: Brake disc, ventilated 258X19 (34211165261)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

It's a coupe. I mean your best best is to spend 20 mins to just test fit the brembro rotor on the rear. Not sure what would be different other that the ventilation which probabaly isn't needed anyway.
        Build Thread
        Parts Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
          It's a coupe. I mean your best best is to spend 20 mins to just test fit the brembro rotor on the rear. Not sure what would be different other that the ventilation which probabaly isn't needed anyway.
          The vented disc are ticker than the non vented 19mm vs 10mm.
          Not sure if the caliper will accept this difference?

edit: when looking on Realoem the calipers have different part no too.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

This is all beyond me since I don't have a touring in front of me. I would think the caliper would accept it, but need someone else to pitch in some knowledge.
            Build Thread
            Parts Thread

Comment

I have an ix touring as well and tried for quite a while to get the rear brakes set up with the original vented set up. The calipers are wider to allow for the thicker vented discs. However the previous owner replaced the rear discs with standard non vented discs which seemed to have worked for a while, but it caused the boots around the piston to max out and they ended up failing. I gave up on the vented set up and just bought standard ix discs and calipers and they work just fine.

Comment

AFAIK the vented rotors have been on backorder for ever, they might be NLA by now.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Wille30 View Post
                  I have an ix touring as well and tried for quite a while to get the rear brakes set up with the original vented set up. The calipers are wider to allow for the thicker vented discs. However the previous owner replaced the rear discs with standard non vented discs which seemed to have worked for a while, but it caused the boots around the piston to max out and they ended up failing. I gave up on the vented set up and just bought standard ix discs and calipers and they work just fine.
                  Seems like swapping to standard iX calipers is probably the best available path here.
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Received an email form my dealer that he'll give me a final answer on Friday.
                    We'll see what he will tell me.

But it looks like converting it to the normal ix rotors is pretty much the only option..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                      Received an email form my dealer that he'll give me a final answer on Friday.
                      We'll see what he will tell me.

But it looks like converting it to the normal ix rotors is pretty much the only option..
                      I don't have an IX Touring but I am curious, aren't there quality aftermarket rotors/disc's that can be used which would be a match to the thicker original Touring units thus not needing to change out the calipers?

Max

Comment

No. they would all be the same as the regular ix.

you're talking a niche of a niche car - the ix already has ix specific rotors, and now you have the ix touring with ix specific rotors in a touring specific design.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My dad has an ix touring and I'm "in charge of it" since I have more ix experience than he does. I searched everywhere for rear ix touring rotors. I searched Europe, I asked the people who imported the car, I went to BMW, and even went to Blunt and I couldn't find them. I just eventually swapped his touring calipers and rotors for regular ix stuff because it was just so convenient. I put the old touring specific stuff in a box, in case he decided to ever sell it, but the regular ix stuff is the way to go.
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                            My dad has an ix touring and I'm "in charge of it" since I have more ix experience than he does. I searched everywhere for rear ix touring rotors. I searched Europe, I asked the people who imported the car, I went to BMW, and even went to Blunt and I couldn't find them. I just eventually swapped his touring calipers and rotors for regular ix stuff because it was just so convenient. I put the old touring specific stuff in a box, in case he decided to ever sell it, but the regular ix stuff is the way to go.
                            Thanks for the reply. Looks like this is pretty mucht the way to go.
                            Although I've been searching and found some used rotors in Germany that seem to be in a very good nick with minimal wear.
                            I might get these for now..

I did receive a message from my local dealer that you can order them but there isn't a delivery time as of now.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I put some ix touring discs on order and after 8 months gave up. I did the same and put the touring stuff in a box just in case and went with the standard ix setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X