No announcement yet.

Melon's E30 Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lots of wet sanding and re clear. Sucks, but it could have been so much worse.

Comment

Well, here's the verdict.

I went to the local store, and the PPG Envriobase u94 is $900/gal.
      So with good primer, gallon of paint, and another two gallons of clear it came out to $2,300.00.

I looked at starting from scratch, and it came out to nearly the same amount, with substantially less quality materials, so the bullet was bit, lesson learned, and onward I march.

As far as the shitty clear coated parts, I'm not buying more paint to repaint those, they're going on the car as is.
      Ultimately, the car is going to be a driver's car, not a show car, and the crappy panels are ones you won't see that much anyway.
      I do things.

Comment

Also, don't ever paint a car Fire Orange, for God's sake, just get something close, lol.
        I do things.

Comment

For that color why not spray it in single stage paint without clear?

it will be much easier to get coverage and can easily be wet sanded to look perfect
          We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post

it will be much easier to get coverage and can easily be wet sanded to look perfect
            Yes single stage is so much easier ,perfect start to get used to spraying very easy to hide imperfections runs fish eyes with a little wet sanding and buffing.
            Also dam why is clear, paints so expensive, understand it's quality but here in South Africa I can get everything needed for less than 500us dollors backed by a 10year garrentee if everything was done per Par.

Great progress none the less , we live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post

Looking back, I should have gone this route, or with a lesser quality two part system.
              I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by slum dog View Post
                Also dam why is clear, paints so expensive,

Great progress none the less , we live and learn.
                1) I didn't know any better and bought expensive basecoat, and now need the items to go with it.

2) Thanks! All these issues have taken away some of my enthusiasm, hoping the paint comes out looking nice, at least.
                I do things.

Comment

Primer was lacquer based too. Sanded most of it off, starting over with an epoxy primer.

Got some smaller parts painted.

My wheels came in! And I was able to find some 215/50/17 Fallen Azenis RT615k+ for $510 from discount tire direct.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                  I do things.

Comment

Got epoxy primer laid down abd the PPG EPC15 over that. Looking really good so far.

I do things.

Comment

dang. sucks to hear about the paint. your body work looks good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
                        After your first post, I immediately did a little digging into it. There's no reaction between the two paints on the car, but from now on, I'll make sure to keep the two separated when I use them.

Thanks for the info.
                        sucks to start over but you will be much better off in the long run.
                        From my previously posted link regarding 2k and self etch (2K Epoxy-Primer Filler must NOT be applied on Acid Primer). Save self etch for alum

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                          sucks to start over but you will be much better off in the long run.

The work was a pain, and it delayed the project, but ultimately I didn't have a lot of heartburn starting over using much better materials from which to build a foundation.
                          I do things.

Comment

Color going on today.

I do things.

Comment

Oh boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

oh man ok this is still going to look really good. So I'm a little confused, and also really interested in painting a car one of these days, what paints did you end up going with? I'm a total noob when it comes to this (started researching it last night) so if you could dumb it down for me that'd be great.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X