DIY - Odometer Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - Odometer Rebuild

I've seen posts about replacing gears? Do I pull the cluster and get a replacement? Does the stealership have new "gears" or a fix kit, how about Bav Auto or the other parts places?

Any input or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

samething happened to my cluster.

you can buy gears from http://odometergears.com

each gear is $25, there are 4 gears that could be messed up, the only way you would know is if you opened up the cluster to find out which ones have broken teeth and need replacing. But, Jeff is the best small business owner i've ever had the pleasure of working with, he'll bend over backwards to make sure you solve your problem.

or... you could probably buy a working cluster for that much or a littlermore without having to take apart the cluster... and then sell me your SI board.

Comment

$25 bucks? for gears smaller than a nickle? sheesh, haha

your best bet is going to the pick a part and just buying another cluster.. the swap is really simple, just be really careful..

just open that sucker up and find out which gear(s) are broken..

hmm, its easier said.. and actually easily done.. maybe i can show you a diagram or something to show which screws to take off.. heh

matter fact, lemme take a pic and just draw some arrows for ya.. haha brb!

Comment

i should actually do a write-up on changing the gears.. haha, im taking pics and typin stuff up now so i'll post it in a lil bit

Comment

OKAY SO! Being that our cars are still HOT for their age, heat from the sun can sometimes warp the gears inside the cluster. Thus, making the odometer stop spinning. Picking up an extra cluster from pickapart is the best way to go. If not, purchase new gears (of course, after finding out which gear is broke). This is the first time I ever tried to put together a "sticky/writeup" so bear with me. Also, I'm using my camera phone to take the pics.

Here's a little write up on changing the gears if your odometer goes out. It's pretty simple and takes little to no experience. But if anyone else wants to add or edit, lets make this thread perfect so it can be a sticky!
          So let's begin.

Tools:
          philps screwdriver
          flat head screwdriver, a small one
          table to work on
          a towel

Have the screwdrivers ready to grab and a towel to fold up and place on top of the table. Clusters are pretty delicate once its opened up so you want to have something soft so nothing scratches or bends.

Step one:

Turn the cluster face down onto the towel and remove the following screws. Once each screw is removed, place them all together in one spot.

Step two:

Slowly flip the cluster face up. Face up because the speedometer is going to fall out if you pull face down. Very evenly, pull the cluster straight up, starting from the bottom. Make sure you pull very carefully because this is where the IS board connects.

Step three:

With the cluster facing up, SLOWLY and evenly pull out the speedomter. Then place the rest of the cluster aside.

Step four: Turn the speedomter over on its side, with the gears facing up. Here you'll see an orange gear the size of a nickle, so if you can see it.. its facing the right way.

With the flat head screwdriver, remove the two screws. Slowly lift the cover straight up to expose the gears. Check and see which gears look chewed up. Sorry this pic is blurry.

Very carefully, each gear can be pulled straight up. BUT, I don't know how to remove the little brown one. So for those reading this, how do you do it? In most cases, that little brown one and the orange one are the gears that are warped.

When placing the new gear(s) back in, make sure you slowly line up the teeth before you push them all the way in. Carefully now, because that little brown gear is rubber.

Step Five: Screw the cover back on the gears (not too tight). Slowly place the speedomter back into the cluster. Make sure the teeth on the inside of the cluster is lined up before you push all the way down.

Once the speedometer is in, grab the cover and line it up.. push down. Flip it over, and screw everything back together!

You're done! Pop it back in the car and go test drive.

So again, I'm pretty sure I'm missing a couple things or need to add a few. If I need to take a pic of anything, lemme know. Everybody pitch in their knowledge and lets make this a sticky.

Comment

Good write-up!

This is how to install a new small 12-tooth gear (the brown gear in the pics)which is possibly the most common gear to go bad.

There is a small copper colored piece that is attached at the end of the rod that the brown gear is sitting on in the pic. Grab pliers or wire cutter and give it a nice firm handshake grip then pull it off the rod, it should slide off.

At that point, you will still not be able to put the new gear in because the rod will keep getting pushed into the unit. So, you will need to remove the clear plasic piece on the other side of the unit (similar shape/color/screws as the one removed ontop of the gears). You should now be able to hold the rod in with your finger.* Push the new gear as far in on the rod as it'll go.

and.. the installation of your new brown gear is complete!

*Another option to hold the rod in place is to grip it with pliers without having to remove the clear plastic piece near the motor.

Comment

Wycoco, Thanks for the awesome write-up. I'll try to get at it this weekend. I need to replace the lights in my cluster and I've put off taking it apart, but now I'll just have at it. I like the idea of cruisin' around and not putting any "miles" on my car, but I don't want to fuck up resale value and somehow wind up with a "true mileage unknown" car.

Comment

no problemo! just lemme know if you have any questions, i'll try my best to get em answered :)

Comment

Wow, great writup. I have an extra cluster that came with my car, only prob is its about 100k miles off. Any way to correct it?
                  "If your going to make a mistake, make it a 100mph."....."But only on the racetrack".....

Comment

well, i know theres some trick by using a drill.. but i dont know the details of that so dont try it.. haha

but the only way to really correct is to turn those gears.. they all work together to move the trip meter.. then the miles move too.. if you do it by hand, im sure it'd be a couple hours or maybe days.. haha

i forgot where i read that drill trick.. cuz i guess it makes it spin faster.. but yeah, just do it by hand.. it'll get fun once in a while :-P

Comment

I heard about a drill being used as well, but i was a little scared I would damage something. By hand it is! Unless someone else has a dirty little secret?
                      "If your going to make a mistake, make it a 100mph."....."But only on the racetrack".....

Comment

I nominate this thread to be moved to the FAQ / DIY Forum. I have a feeling that alot of people could benefit from this thread including myself.

Comment

AND how about installing tahometer on my 318i instead of clock????

does anyone have a guide???

Comment

finally someone made a write-up showing how to do this easy task..

i think it scares some people before they try it..

Comment

Well, I'm glad I did a search for this topic before I posted a question that already has an answer.

I just bought a 2nd E30. It's a '91 318i to be used for commuting. I sometimes have to leave the office and drive to a customer's office so I'll put quite a few miles on the car. Friday, I had to fill up with gas but only showed 153 miles on the tank. WTF?!? I drive hard but not that hard! Watched the odometer on the highway vs. the mile markers and it was only reading 4.5 tenths of a mile for every actual mile driven. I get paid for my mileage for work, so this error is actually costing me money. Normally, I wouldn't even care.

So I pulled the cluster this weekend and my little brown gear is missing just over half of it's teeth. Ok, so it's easy enough to get to and to replace, if I can find one.

Is my best bet to order one from the guy in the link posted above or to just buy a used unit from the junk yard? Anybody have a beat up speedo unit that they don't want or could spare the little gear from for a couple of bucks?
                              '91 318i (commuter)
                              '87 325is (Sold with over 310k miles)

Comment

Working...
                              X