No announcement yet.

DIY - Odometer Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol welcome to the odometer exempt club.....
    04 e83 X3
    01 e39 540M
    97 e36 328is

Specializing In BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Porsche ,Volkswagen

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the write up. I was able to easily identify the #1 and #2 gears as the problem. Will be ordering replacements tomorrow.
      1991 Diamondschwarz 325i 5spd (SOLD)
      1989 Zinno 325i 5spd (NEW)
      2000 Nissan Maxima GLS Rollin' Phat (DD)

Comment

Can the speedometer be changed from an e cluster to an i cluster. The one in my i cluster seems to stick, and the one in my car now (e) works fine and has the right miles on it.
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

Well, my speedo is messed up now. The needle dropped way down below 0 so the speed is reported incorrectly.

Sucks too, I got the odo working.
          1991 Diamondschwarz 325i 5spd (SOLD)
          1989 Zinno 325i 5spd (NEW)
          2000 Nissan Maxima GLS Rollin' Phat (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
            Can the speedometer be changed from an e cluster to an i cluster. The one in my i cluster seems to stick, and the one in my car now (e) works fine and has the right miles on it.
            ?

Also, the I cluster plugs right into an E, right?
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
              ?

Also, the I cluster plugs right into an E, right?
              Not sure about the cluster, but the speedo is the same part number in the i and e, at least for etas made after sept 1985 according to real OEM (62121377647 = post 9/85, 62121372229 = 12/84-9/85). Didn't check 318s.
              sigpic

Comment

Replaced my odometer gears a few weeks ago with the help of this thread and another DIY that helped me get the cluster out of the dash. What a great resource! Not that difficult. Took about 5 hours total. Here is all I have to add:

1. Purchased the replacement gears from odometergears.com. Great service and I had the gears in 3 days. I bought the complete set, but it only comes with 4 gears and our cluster has a total of 5. The last gear was still ok, so I left it on.

2. If you have an airbag car, DO NOT HOOK THE BATTERY BACK UP WITH THE AIRBAG REMOVED. This will trigger the SRS light, and I still haven't figured out how to turn it off. Unfortunately, my next stop will be the stealership, but I've read posts on other threads about dealerships that couldn't even figure out how to reset it.

Cory
                1992 325i Cabrio
                1988 320i Touring
                2000 M5
                1977 530i
                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                BMWCCA
                E30CCA

Comment

Do I grease the new gears? If so what should I use.
                  Last edited by e34john; 09-19-2008, 09:59 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

any problems using vdo gears as opposed to motometers? however, after you take off the face/bezel or whatever, the main cluster thing has motometer stamped right on it....
                    1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                    1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                    1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                    1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                    1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                    I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

nevermind* bimmerforums had the answer. for the record, they are interchangeable.....now time for a 18" breaker bar......
                      1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                      1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                      1994 540i - Granitsilber

Comment

Originally posted by Atreus View Post
                        nevermind* bimmerforums had the answer. for the record, they are interchangeable.....now time for a 18" breaker bar......
                        You have a link to that post, or any more info. So if I change out every gear I can replace them with a VDO set and it will work?
                        sigpic

Comment

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

i have a vdo cluster in my lap right now. my morning project. run to harbor freight. find a way to NOT have the airbag own my ass when i take off the steering wheel, and see whatsup....
                          1994 540i - Granitsilber

Comment

Is he saying the gears are interchangable or does he mean the entire speedo with odometer attached into the other cluster? Cause thats what it sounds sounds like. Well let us know if it works. Cause the VDO gears from the guy in Spain is way cheaper.

Heres airbag wheel removal instructions if you haven't figured it out already. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=100989
                            sigpic

Comment

well i went to the yard today, pulled a motometer cluster and gutted it. so right now i have vdo gears and moto's. i gotta get back home and post comparison pics between the two. prolly around 1900 mtn time.
                              1994 540i - Granitsilber

Comment

Haven't installed it yet. rough weekend+this week so far. too tired to get airbagpunched by my car. maybe this weekend. anyhoo. Lastly, it appears the smallest gear, on the VDO it has a backing to it, while the moto's dont'.

this one, the top is a motometer the bottom are VDO's.

/////////////////////////////////////////////
                                Motometers:

////////////////////////////////////////////
                                VDO:
                                Last edited by Atreus; 10-07-2008, 07:57 PM.
                                1994 540i - Granitsilber

Comment

Working...
                                X