Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! engine swap M20 k-jet

Hi Everybody

Hoping someone can help. I am in the final stages of swapping a M20 k-jet engine off a '84 323i to an '88 320i convertible. Everything is installed after refreshing gaskets, o-rings, belts, fluids etc and ready to start

My problem:

- The '84 323i engine has a rectangular engine harness plug
    - The '88 320i engine plug on the firewall is a round plug

These are the actual connectors from my car as it stands:

I have collected the connectors to make a bridging harness to avoid cutting either side of the harness. But I the diagrams I see online dont match my engine harness connector.

Initially I thought this diagram is what I need

But as you can see for example pin #14 on the engine harness in the above diagram has nothing but in my engine harness there is a wire connected to it. So now Im freaking out. I will need a fool proof method of matching the 2 to make the bridging harness.

OR should I be looking at the male end of the connectors, not the female (as I've done in pic 1)? According to the above diagram (2nd pic) it seems they are showing the female end or have I interpreted it wrong?

Are you able to help please and be a life saver !!!! :up:

Thanks heaps!
    Last edited by fgin; 11-06-2018, 12:30 AM.

Originally posted by fgin View Post
    Hi Everybody

Hoping someone can help. I am in the final stages of swapping a M20 k-jet engine off a '84 323i to an '88 320i convertible. Everything is installed after refreshing gaskets, o-rings, belts, fluids etc and ready to start

My problem:

- The '84 323i engine has a rectangular engine harness plug
    - The '88 320i engine plug on the firewall is a round plug

These are the actual connectors from my car as it stands:

I have collected the connectors to make a bridging harness to avoid cutting either side of the harness. But I the diagrams I see online dont match my engine harness connector.

Initially I thought this diagram is what I need

But as you can see for example pin #14 on the engine harness in the above diagram has nothing but in my engine harness there is a wire connected to it. So now Im freaking out. I will need a fool proof method of matching the 2 to make the bridging harness.

OR should I be looking at the male end of the connectors, not the female (as I've done in pic 1)? According to the above diagram (2nd pic) it seems they are showing the female end or have I interpreted it wrong?

Are you able to help please and be a life saver !!!! :up:

Thanks heaps!

Looks like I was correct. Im supposed to look at the plug from the back as the arrow states. Also has the pin numbers on the back. All good :) Now to figure out the C104 off the ECU harness and how it will connect to the car.

Am I correct to assume the following ?
    C104:

- Pin #1 (Black) is TACH which should go to #14 on the round harness on the firewall
    - Pin #2 (Green) needs to be connected to the + post on the ignition coil.
    - Pin #3 seems like the fuel econometer signal but where it goes Im not sure. I read somewhere it should go to #8 on the round harness on the firewall DME control unit/idle speed control. Is this correct ?

Comment

Working...
    X