Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash indicator / turnsignal light not working

Hi,

Ive just bought an 88 325i and I'm trying to fix an issue with my left dash indicator light.

The problem is it does not light up on the dash, everything else works outside the car. For this reason I don't think it's a bad relay. I also swapped out the bulb so it's not the bulb.

I replaced the indicator switch and opened up my gauge cluster and re soldered/cleaned all the connections and tested for continuity on the circuit board.

My hazard switch/lights work fine besides the one light on the dash. Could the hazard switch be the culprit? If so is there a way to test it?

I am desperate for a solution, is there anything I haven't thought of checking.

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks,
    B

It's probably the trace that powers that indicator in the cluster PCB which is cracked. It runs right along the edge of the cluster PCB, so it is subject to a lot of stress.

Take your cluster out and apart, map out the traces which feed power to the turn indicator, and verify you have continuity at the bulb socket contacts, and the connector contacts.

If no continuity, scrape off the solder mask periodically along the trace, and check for continuity. Once you find the problematic area, scrape off the solder mask in that area, and flow a generous amount of solder onto the trace. I brushed on conformal coating after I did my repair on the exposed trace, just to minimize oxidation.

Comment

Hey Jim, Thanks for the advice! I'm going to give it a shot tonight and see how it goes. I'll let you know if it worked!

Thanks

Comment

Doesn't look like a broken trace on the PCB is the issue. I have continuity between all points leading to the flasher light.

Comment

Time to probe the connector that plugs into the cluster. See if you're getting a signal there at least. ETM should tell you the pinout or wire color.

Comment

Tested the connector and noticed I have continuity from the indicator wire connection under the steering column and several pins at the top where it plugs into the gauge cluster.

All these wires should be independent right? If so then this might be the cause. I've decided I need to have a pro take a look and will be bringing it to a mechanic next week.

My guess is part of the wiring loom that is rubbing against a metal edge on the steering column has worn through the insulation on several wires.

Stay tuned..

Comment

Originally posted by brunetti View Post
              Tested the connector and noticed I have continuity from the indicator wire connection under the steering column and several pins at the top where it plugs into the gauge cluster.

All these wires should be independent right? If so then this might be the cause. I've decided I need to have a pro take a look and will be bringing it to a mechanic next week.

My guess is part of the wiring loom that is rubbing against a metal edge on the steering column has worn through the insulation on several wires.

Stay tuned..

The ETM will tell you what should have continuity with what:

It can be a little daunting to read through, but just try to match up one wire at a time, in the circuit you're troubleshooting to figure it out.

Comment

Just reinstalled the cluster after opening it up the second time and making sure all connections were re soldered.

I now have a working left indicator light. Not sure exactly where the issue was but opening up the cluster, removing all gauges a nd re soldering every connection solved the issue. I also noticed other lights on the dash that seem to be working now too.

Here a quick list of all the things I checked to solve the dash indicator light issue.

1- dash indicator light bulb
                2- turn signal switch and relay
                3- hazard switch
                4- continuity from loom to dash plug pins
                5- removed cluster, removed gauges from PCB and re soldered all connections.
                6- checked for continuity and repaired traces on PCB

Thanks for your time and advise!

Comment

Working...
                X