Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3v talk me out of/into getting a 4.4l E53 X5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    It's the same as BMW always made them. The diff mounts to the pan and there's a pass-through for the CV shaft. It holds the same amount of oil.

Also, that's an E46. :p
    thought it was more oil.. or is that only the e46 IX? I know my e46 it gobbled up like 8qts
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

it's 7 quarts for both on the E9x.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        It's the same as BMW always made them. The diff mounts to the pan and there's a pass-through for the CV shaft. It holds the same amount of oil.

Also, that's an E46. :p
        Thanks - I obviously haven't been underneath anything post-E30! So there's actually a pipe chase / tunnel through the pan? Was the E30 ix system the same as the xdrive, or sort of an ancestor?

Comment

yeah, there's a tube cast into the pan that the shaft passes through. It's sealed, there's no sharing of oil or anything.

basically they are all the same design. The main difference is the type of mechanism used in the transfercase. The E30 is sort of like an LSD, the E46 is completely open (but uses ABS to control slip), and the xdrive branded cars use a electrically controlled wet clutch to transfer torque.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
            I'm doing timing guides on a M62TUB46 right now.

Fuck that noise. Fuck it. Like seriously....fuck it.
            Pfft, its not that bad

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
              Pfft, its not that bad
              Having just assisted Ether-D with this job, it really isn't. It's just incredibly time-consuming and has a ton of "while you're in there" jobs. For most, it really requires another vehicle to use while the subject is being operated upon.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                Having just assisted Ether-D with this job, it really isn't. It's just incredibly time-consuming and has a ton of "while you're in there" jobs. For most, it really requires another vehicle to use while the subject is being operated upon.
                I've been doing it after work moonlighting at a friend's Porsche shop.

So I get to work on it like 2-3 hours at a time. It sucks.

Worst thing is someone has been in there.....
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Update, Mr pants? First impressions? Have you put much work into it so far?

I saw this on the street this weekend and whipped a U turn to take a pic. Nice size in person. Pre-facelift. Straight 328i, so RWD, but an automatic. These are what I would consider replacing the A4 with at some point, if it got around in the snow well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	7196912

Comment

I loved our E91. I would try to find a 6mt though.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yes. For where I live, I'd look for a 2011-up, xi, manual to replace the A4 manual 1.8T...but I think those are a bit rare.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't count out the pre-LCI modes. I mean, unless you really care about LED tailights.. also skip idrive if you can. :)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

"Life Cycle Impulse?" Is that what that is? Funny, I've never read that before. I might have lived in a cave.

I just figured they looked a bit better, they're newer so maybe fewer miles, and they usually improve some things and work out bugs.

I don't like the double hump dash with the navigation screen, or that idrive thing, but buying used you sometimes have to compromise somewhere. I want a straight 6 NA manual that handles and hauls things with that great interior.

I put a new engine in that A4 myself and it was so much work, and I don't really trust it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                          X