The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first sports sedan?? Maybe...

1955 Giulietta Berlina and Giulietta TI (the sportier version). it was marketed as "The Family Car that Wins Races!" And it did. With 1100 and 1300 alum twin-cam engines.

The Giulietta Sprint coupe was introduced in 1954 at the Turin Motor Show. The Giulietta Spider came out in late 1955. Those bodies were both built at the coach builders factories, while the sedan was built in-house by Alfa, and is a large part of the company's survival after the war. No more custom-built big grand touring cars. They turned to mass producing small economical sports cars and sedans that people could afford. But they kept racing them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alfa-romeo-giulietta-pre-85-S2779869-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	7196676

Name:	alfa-romeo-giulietta-ti-monza-classic-racing-circuit-occasion-intereuropean-historic-cup-event-5.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	7196677

Name:	Giulietta Ti.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	7196678

Name:	images.jpeg
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	7196679

Comment

That car was replaced by the Giulia sedan / TI in 1962. The engine is now 1600, some versions with twin Webers. It set a closed course speed record at Talledega for under 2-liter cars. They built them for a long time, up to '78 I think. We only got them in the US till '68 I think.

This funky shape is surprisingly slippery and actually more aerodynamic than the GTV coupe and the Spider. It's in the rounded nose, those flutes along the front fenders that run the length of the car, the tapered shape front to back, the rounded windshield, the narrow greenhouse, and the Kamm style cut-off at the trailing edges of the roof and trunk. These are still very popular in vintage racing. And very comfortable, great on trips, simple, reliable. There's a guy who recently has driven his across the country three times.

Name:	Giulia sedan RF.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	7196681

Name:	Giulia sedan side.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	7196682

Name:	Giulia sedan RR.jpg
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	7196683

Name:	Giulia 2-tone sedan.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	7196684

Comment

[ATTACH]120953[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]120954[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]120955[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]120956[/ATTACH]

Comment

The Alfa Thread

Originally posted by LateFan View Post

This funky shape is surprisingly slippery and actually more aerodynamic than the GTV coupe and the Spider. It's in the rounded nose, those flutes along the front fenders that run the length of the car, the tapered shape front to back, the rounded windshield, the narrow greenhouse, and the Kamm style cut-off at the trailing edges of the roof and trunk. These are still very popular in vintage racing. And very comfortable, great on trips, simple, reliable. There's a guy who recently has driven his across the country three times.

This is the Alfa I will buy. Theres an old man named Norm in the AROSC who has been racing one with a Dual Weber 2000 installed in it. He still races it with the original steering wheel and says he has all the original interior too. Ive told him everytime I see him that I will buy his car when he wants to sell... just a matter of time [emoji4]

That’s Norm talking to my buddy
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

^^ I gave away a white '67 once. Ugh. 1986. Isn't that a bummer? It came with the Duetto, I lived in an apartment, it had no engine or trans installed. I tried to sell it and there were crickets! NO ONE interested at any price.

It was still sitting in the street on a borrowed trailer, I had to move it. I finally gave it to an older friend who raced one in SCCA at the time, for spare shell parts and glass. He wasn't all that pleased. It had a nice interior I remember. It was the first time I had seen this weird sedan - who would want this, I thought? I still have the engine.

Comment

The Berlina sedans are known to be faster race cars. Vice president of Weathertech (big sponsor at Road America) races a beautifully prepped red one.

We just had our season opener here in the PNW. Rained a lot on Saturday, but I still went out. Sunday was dry, cool, and ideal for racing. Got some of my better lap times. Check out these results. I was bumped up from Group 1 Small Bore Production to the current Group 2 Mid Bore Production (just as I was getting to the front of the small bore pack). Look at the engine displacement figures. :)

Name:	IMG_2078 (1).jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	7196714

Name:	IMG_2080 (1).jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	7196715

Name:	IMG_2089.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	7196716
                '91 325i

Comment

^^ soggy! The electrics do ok in that kind of rain?

This is a circa 1960 2000 Spider (little brother to the 2600 straight 6 Spider). Body by Touring. Ran across it because it was recently refinished a reassembled.

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	7196822

Name:	Alfa grey side.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	7196823

Name:	Alfa grey rear.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	7196824

Comment

^^ soggy! The electrics do ok in that kind of rain?
                    Naw. Electrics are the least of my worries. I rewired it from scratch using Ancor marine wire (finer strands, all tinned, very expensive), heavier gauge than necessary, and crimped+soldered+heat shrinked+dielectric greased all the connections.

That 2000 looks suspiciously British.
                    '91 325i

Comment

^^ Maybe because Michelotti designed the TR4/5/6, and Pininfarina was a consultant on the MGB and MGB-GT. You can really see it in the GT roof.

But this car has the balanced feel and proportions of a Touring design. The trunk lid & taillights have a direct connection to the much smaller Giulia Spider, and many Pininfarina Ferrari designs.

Comment

^ I think its awesome. when was the last time you saw wire wheels on an alfa from that era?
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

AutoX Spider short vid -

Local SCCA event in Lexington, KY on May 20, 2018.A small parking lot with one of the shortest courses we have run

Comment

I dig this paint...."Cobalto Medio Blu" it says.....

Name:	Cobalto Medio Blu.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	7196908

Name:	27366470527_ebf7657202_o.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	7196909

Name:	41515517144_f5d0c2d11e_o.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	7196910

Name:	41515525244_18779414c5_o.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	7196911

Comment

I dig this paint...."Cobalto Medio Blu" it says.....

[ATTACH]121368[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]121369[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]121370[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]121371[/ATTACH]
                              Yeah I was thinking it was a pretty great color as well. Mmmm blue Alfas... I have one of those... I should get back to work on it.

Will
                              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

[ATTACH]121404[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]121405[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                                X