Z3M radiator - S52 or S54?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3M radiator - S52 or S54?

Does it matter? Are they the same? Thinking of going 3-row and I know the Z3M is a popular option.

The S54 has thicker core and the bottom section is a little shorter because it's intended to be used with the s54 oil cooler. It's a direct swap replacement for an e30 late model 6-cylinder radiator/e36 cylinder radiator (at least in the e36). The S52 Z3M radiator shows a different part number, so can't confirm the fitment.

For most street cars it's not as noticeable. I put the S54 radiator in my e36 and honestly haven't noticed much of a difference in temps, but it was essentially the same price as a standard e36 radiator so it was worth a try. It seems to be popular with the track car crowd though. In my 24V e30 I have a standard late model e30/e36 radiator and clearance is pretty tight as is even with a pusher fan mounted up front, so just something to think about with the thicker core of the S54. A friend has the S54 radiator in his M60 e30 and it seems to be working well for his purposes.

Here's the thread where I took some pictures showing the differences:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
    Last edited by mtech325; 05-10-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I have the S54 Behr in my M62 swap and it has worked quite well so far. Drops right in with the M20 mounting cups.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! My biggest constraint is thickness; there's so little room in an e30 engine bay with an m30, especially between the distributor cap-radiator and the AC compressor-radiator.

I need to take more measurements, but the e28 535i radiator is very large in square area but also very thin. Essentially my 16" pusher fan only covers about 45% of it. If I go with a radiator that is thicker, yet has a smaller square area, the fan essentially becomes more effective at removing heat, as it would cover more like 65-70% of the square area. Just got to make it fit!

Comment

Working...
        X