Meet 'Goat'...my '89 325i Zinno 4 door.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet 'Goat'...my '89 325i Zinno 4 door.

I really don't know where or how to start this story...I wasn't even interested in buying this car to be honest. I already had 3 E30's sitting around, but a friend of mine took interest after borrowing one of mine for a few days, and asked me to find one for him. I then remembered seeing this one for sale locally on Facebook marketplace a month or so earlier (around February of this year), sent him the link, and he asked if I would go take a look at it one day.

Now I had actually contacted the person selling the car for the owner the day it was listed, but they just wanted too much for it...which was $1500. I knew from the pictures that it was probably going to need a good bit of work, as it was obvious it had been sitting for quite some time without being driven. So I setup a time to go take a look at the car, and this is how I found it when I got there. Oh, and the location was a goat farm. This is important.

Uhhh....Roll Tide?

Yes, this was from an errant bullet at some point while on the farm.

You can also see the melted right passenger taillight in one of the pictures...no idea what happened there, as the owner said it was there when he bought the car in 2008.

The car would run, but not very well...and it was showing a fair amount of white/gray smoke from the exhaust. I took it for a short test drive, and surprisingly it drove fairly well...although the brakes were very sketchy and the front balljoints were worn out. The car had never been in an accident, and it had all of the original oxidized paint. The only rust was found on the sunroof panel, and some bubbling on the roof where a sunroof visor had been installed since new. Besides that, it was a very straight and solid chassis.

So it wasn't running well, the car was pretty ugly...but I saw a good bit of potential there. I have never been crazy about 4 door E30's, but I love a red E30...and I think that is what really drew me to this car. It was also a manual, a very solid chassis, plastic bumpers, and from looking at the previous service records it had been meticulously maintained from new until at least 2003. I made an offer of $800 which was turned down immediately, so I said thank you and left.

Couple of days later I get a call one morning, and it was the owner. Would I be interested at $1000? Ehh....not really, but maybe...hell ok whatever I will buy it. So I made the trip back out to the goat farm...oh and by the way, I forgot to mention that there were over 100 goats on this farm...and half of them walked and climbed all over this car for years. The oxidation of the paint prevented me from seeing the damage their hooves had caused, but you will see what I found shortly. Here it is after I got it home and sprayed it off.

Here is a before shot of the hood right before I did a test polish:

And after a quick pass of the buffer and some M105:

But you can see the scratches in the paint...and they aren't coming out.

Was a bit bummed about the scratches, but it is what it is. A few days later, I went by my buddy Ken's body shop, and he wanted to do a very quick polish with his rotary. It needs more work, but it wasn't bad for a very quick pass over most of the paint.

Although I was able to drive the car the 15 miles from the goat farm back to my house, it was running worse each time I tried driving it. The fuel pump also started whining very loudly...and this was a 3 month old fuel pump put in by the owner. It was also still smoking pretty badly out of the exhaust. After some diagnosing, I discovered that the fuel return path back to the gas tank was being completely blocked, which was causing a very high fuel pressure, which broke the FPR and was flooding the engine. After replacing the FPR, and then disconnecting the fuel return hose after the FPR and running it into an open bucket, the engine ran great with no more smoke from the exhaust! I found that the blockage was due to the tank return being rusted, so no other option but to replace the fuel tank, pump, and associated rubber lines. Here is the old tank removed:

And the new tank installed:

By the way, this is the kind of mess you have to deal with on a car that has sat in a field for too long:

Not the ideal place for someone that might be terrified of spiders...which I am not. This is what the last of the fuel in the old tank looked like.

Once all of that work was done, Ken did a quick temp fix on the bullet hole in the quarter panel. He hammer and dollyed it out, then we hit it with some etch primer until we do some body filler and paint later on.

More coming as soon as I get a chance to post the rest.
    Eric Giles
    '20 M2 CS
    '04 M3
    '11 X5 35D
    '87 325is
    '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Originally posted by Eric Giles View Post
    Once all of that work was done, Ken did a quick temp fix on the bullet hole in the quarter panel. He hammer and dollyed it out, then we hit it with some etch primer until we do some body filler and paint later on.

More coming as soon as I get a chance to post the rest.
    If there was every an appropriate time to put those dumbass bullet stickers on cars.... this is it
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Lots of work ahead. R3V seems to be the place to resurrect e30's these days.

Comment

4 doors need love too!
        Shame about the scratches, I guess goats using it as a door mat will have that effect.

Interested to see where this goes.
        One does not simply walk into 4door
        Transaction Feedback

Comment

I also recently picked up a Zinno sedan, so I'll be watching this one with a great deal of interest.
          Zelig the Zinno • 300k and counting
          http://instagram.com/zelig.the.zinno

Comment

During the installation of the new fuel tank, I installed a Z3 shifter from a '98 1.9L Z3 that Ken and I parted out. I also tried out some of the new SEM 41023 Euro Jet Satin Trim paint that Jordan Sardette mentioned to me. I painted one of the cowl trim pieces, as well as the grills. You can see how it did here on the cowl trim:

Because I am 6'8", and around 270lbs, the stock E30 seats really don't give me a lot of room. I especially lack head and legroom. I decided to try out a set of Lown Performance E30 seat brackets, with a spare E46 sport sedan seat that I have.

Although the setup gives me all of the legroom I will ever need, the height of the brackets raises the seat to where I lose even more headroom. So I will be putting the stock comfort seat back in and selling the seat brackets.

The next step was taking care of all the maintenance needs, as well as suspension and brakes. The last record of a timing belt change was in 2002...and the guy I got it from said he basically did nothing but oil changes in the 10 years he owned it...so it needed pretty much everything. And pretty much everything it got:

Timing belt and tensioner
            Water pump
            Thermostat
            Coolant temp sensor
            Intake manifold gaskets
            Valve cover gasket and 'doghouse' plugs at each end of the cylinder head
            Camshaft seal
            Rebuilt 17lb 4 pintile injectors
            NGK spark plugs
            Brake master cylinder
            Clutch slave cylinder
            Used steering rack
            New control arms, bushings, tie rod assemblies and sway bar links
            Upper strut mounts
            Rebuilt front and rear brake calipers
            All new brake rotors and pads

Installed some new LED lights in my shop, and got the other ones fixed after this was taken.
            In it's new home for the next month:

Heavy carbon buildup in the intake

What a mess...

I had a set of basically brand new H&R Sport springs I had been saving for another build, but decided to use them on Goat. I also have an almost new set of Bilstein Sports, but...I also had a brand new set of KYB struts and shocks that I had bought for cheap. After a lot of reading, I decided to see how the KYB's performed with the H&R Sport springs. I already knew how the H&R/Bilstein combo did as far as ride quality, and I wanted something more comfortable.

Ken's shop has one of these strut spring compressors, which makes strut changes very easy.

Old stock setup on the left, H&R Sport with KYB strut insert on the right.

Once the suspension was finished, the last thing to replace was the clutch slave cylinder. Why you ask? Well, I think it was a bit worn out...

All of this work took about 4-5 weeks, working a few nights out of every week. I will say that it was worth every minute, as this is the best riding lowered E30 I have ever owned. I am amazed at how well the KYB's perform in regards to ride quality...the setup is very stock like. Bilsteins would of course give better overall handling performance, but for 99% of the driving most people do, this is an almost perfect setup for me...plus you can't beat it in regards to value. I also put on a spare set of 14" basketweaves, which are always a nice improvement over the bottlecaps. Here is Goat after all of that work was completed:

Last edited by Eric Giles; 05-23-2018, 09:46 PM.
            Eric Giles
            '20 M2 CS
            '04 M3
            '11 X5 35D
            '87 325is
            '91 325i Sport

Comment

Yesterday afternoon after work, I decided to use the SEM paint to quickly touch up the lower rocker panels.

Cosmetic improvements are definitely high on the priority list, but first...I am going to get the A/C working properly. Summers here in Mississippi are no joke, and it is already hitting the low to mid 90's during the day. Working A/C is a necessity to say the least. The system was fully discharged, so just a s a test, I added a few ounces of R134a to see if the compressor worked. It does, so I placed an order for a new parallel flow condenser, receiver/dryer, expansion valve, and all o-rings. I plan to install everything this weekend, then pull a vacuum and recharge the system using a SnapOn R134a system that pretty much does everything automatically.

As far as my plans for this car....honestly I don't know yet. You may have noticed that I reacquired my previous favorite E30 a few weeks ago... https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=126869 so this will be another E30 toy to mess around with I guess. I might get it all pretty and then sell it, or I might keep it as the daily 'beater' and use it for some driving events.

Either way, I am going to have some fun with it while I own it. I will keep the thread updated.
              Eric Giles
              '20 M2 CS
              '04 M3
              '11 X5 35D
              '87 325is
              '91 325i Sport

Comment

I love what SEM trim paint does to the typically gray pieces on our cars. I finally did the euro grills and I can’t wait to eat the rest of the trim done. I think I’ll need at least one or two more bottles to get everything gray back to black.

Love it
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Nice progress on Goat!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                  '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                  '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Looking good! I didn't know goats like to walk on top of cars.
                    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      I love what SEM trim paint does to the typically gray pieces on our cars. I finally did the euro grills and I can’t wait to eat the rest of the trim done. I think I’ll need at least one or two more bottles to get everything gray back to black.

Love it
                      SEM is amazing...no matter how little care you take spraying it on something, it almost always comes out looking perfect.

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                      Looking good! I didn't know goats like to walk on top of cars.
                      And climb the sides, and walk thru the inside if the door is left open, and walk on top of the engine if the hood is open...true story.
                      Eric Giles
                      '20 M2 CS
                      '04 M3
                      '11 X5 35D
                      '87 325is
                      '91 325i Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Giles View Post
                        And climb the sides, and walk thru the inside if the door is left open, and walk on top of the engine if the hood is open...true story.
                        I want to see pics of this
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          I want to see pics of this
                          Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any pictures...we were too busy trying to get them out of the interior and off of the car...and at the same time laughing about it.

No new pictures, but yesterday I did remove the E46 sedan sport seat and the Lown Performance seat brackets, and installed a stock comfort seat back in it's place. I actually used a comfort seat from a '89 325i 2 door that I have...the coupe seat seems to have more rearward travel than the sedan seats, so it works very well for what I need. Of course the comfort seats don't look very nice compared to sport seats, but it does fit my large frame much better.

The flasher relay had also been giving me some trouble, as the turn signals would hardly work. Once again, my 325i parts car came thru and I swapped the flasher relay over during lunch. I know that us BMW driver's aren't supposed to use a turn signal, but...

The parallel flow A/C condenser should arrive today, so if I get time this weekend I will be working on the A/C system...hoping for cooler interior days soon!
                          Eric Giles
                          '20 M2 CS
                          '04 M3
                          '11 X5 35D
                          '87 325is
                          '91 325i Sport

Comment

Nice, moving to MS sometime in the next month and a half and can't wait to see this in person!
                            Continuous For Sale Thread
                            323i s50

Comment

Originally posted by Court M3 View Post
                              Nice, moving to MS sometime in the next month and a half and can't wait to see this in person!
                              That's great! What area of MS?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
                              Eric Giles
                              '20 M2 CS
                              '04 M3
                              '11 X5 35D
                              '87 325is
                              '91 325i Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X