No announcement yet.

Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard for me to read shit like this--really hard. I remember maybe a year ago passing your resume around to some people I know in the hopes that they would have a position that you would be a fit for. Sorry that didn't turn up anything, but maybe it's time to try again--if you'd be interested in moving back to Chicago. I wish I could have done more, but honestly I can't really go too far in backing you since we've never even met, but I'll do what I can.

Are you familiar with The Werk Shop in Libertyville? Check them out at: http://www.thewerkshop.net/ They do detailed restorations on classic BMW's besides having a service side. I just talked to my tech friend Dave Mason there and he said "we're always interested in finding creative, talented people". Mike Marijanovic is the guy you want to contact though--I'd call him personally and sell yourself and then you could forward a resume and show him what you've done and go from there. Follow up and a desire are key with Mike.

Hang tough. I've been right where you are before--and worse--and made it through. I'm not a motivational speaker though.

And hey, bring your car to the Windy City VintageFest on Sunday, Sept. 9th. Se my thread in the Midwest happenings. There are all kinds of good contacts to be made there besides seeing lots of cool bimmers.

Comment

Such an awesome build! great job man

E30 Motoring "represent boyyy"
      e30motoring@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder
        Wow. Literally just spent HOURS going through this thread from start to finish and I am soo impressed with your work and attitude. I am going through a very similar process on a 1973 BMW 2002 so this is huge inspiration for me to keep truckin' because I've been getting a bit unmotivated at times.
        Thanks Mikey – you inspired me to re-read my own thread – something I haven’t done in some time.. it cheered me to recall the journey again.

After just glancing your thread over – it’s like we could be brothers. lol. I LOVE roundies. One thing that went through my mind was that your thread could use a table of contents post like I did – otherwise, my router starts smoking trying to load all the pictures.. ha. I’ll be taking the time to read through it in depth within next day or so..

Originally posted by TrentW
        Hang tough. I've been right where you are before--and worse--and made it through. I'm not a motivational speaker though.

And hey, bring your car to the Windy City VintageFest on Sunday, Sept. 9th. Se my thread in the Midwest happenings. There are all kinds of good contacts to be made there besides seeing lots of cool bimmers.
        No worries Trent. I had to get out of Chicago. Not sure how to say this - but I make for a better white boy here in Madison than a white boy in Chicago. The job market is tough all over I suppose – but I have a big circle of friends here in Madison. That and the fabulous countryside between here and the Mississippi (it’s like a humongous driving park!) - means I don’t plan on moving anytime soon..

As far as going to VintageFest – man, I’d love to – but like I’m short on gas money – let alone money for tires (why I put her back up in storage). Being this poor is like being on house arrest. I simply can’t afford to go out or do anything really..
        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
          Thanks Mikey – you inspired me to re-read my own thread – something I haven’t done in some time.. it cheered me to recall the journey again.

After just glancing your thread over – it’s like we could be brothers. lol. I LOVE roundies. One thing that went through my mind was that your thread could use a table of contents post like I did – otherwise, my router starts smoking trying to load all the pictures.. ha. I’ll be taking the time to read through it in depth within next day or so..
          Yeah I find it motivating to read through my entire build again as well. I've done it several times and it's cool seeing what has been accomplished so far. As for the table of contents, that's definitely something I will consider doing. I think it would make more sense to do it once I'm almost complete, so it would be easier to organize. My whole build is so scattered right now that it'd be a bit of a mess to organize into chapters.

Although we have a slightly different approach towards our own cars, I still feel like I can completely relate to this build. I'm trying to document as thoroughly as possible in hopes of providing inspiration, education and motivation to other people because heavily documented online articles are how I've learned all that I know.

Glad you moved to an area where you have more friends and the overall environment is more suiting to your tastes. Sounds like a good start to turning your life back to normal. I know how you feel being completely disabled to do anything due to lack of funds, I've been there as well and it's a huge burden. Try to sell off some of those old E30 parts if they're any good, look on local craigslist for good deals on parts that you know would be worth more online. Find a cheap, non-running E30 and fix it and flip it for some good profit. There are endless opportunities to make some quick cash

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
          --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

subbed

Comment

Awesome write up. Took an hour to read. But this seriously made me want to tear my car down and buildin it back up. Doin everything right. This is how it should be. Alot of respect for you. Seriously.. Im excited for you. Keep up the amazing work!

1987 528i Royalblau

Comment

Awesome thread! Love your project and your car looks great!

Comment

Your photos are excellent too!

Comment

I will be working in Madison occasionally over the next couple months or so, perhaps we could hit up lunch sometime and you could show-off your awesome car!

Comment

Sounds good - shoot me a pm for details..

Thanks again for all the kind words guys.

I finally start a job tomorrow !

Comment

Hey I'm on the other side of the lake haha. Muskegon mi
                        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

any advice on removing the airbag sensor and wiring? was hard to figure out what you did based on those pics :o

Comment

Thanks again guys. Over the last few weeks, I’ve been going back over the project posts and fixing bad photo links. Only a few more to go as I type this.

New job is going well. Not a sexy job.. (split case/picker-packer at a nearby Walgreens distribution center) but pay is decent compared to the white-collar work I was looking for. Days go by fast as a split case worker mostly stays focused on quick packing. Exercise of the job is an added bonus. Body was pretty sore there for the first two weeks. On as a temp currently and hope they bring me on full. Was able to hit “numbers” by day six which seemed to impress some people.

Needing to use the Zen e30 for daily commute – which is nice. No complaints. The thing that is really getting me now is a race from now till snow time to scrape up enough money for a winter beater. Like I could just drive the e30 through a winter – but after putting all the love and care into this car, it’s not something I like to think about.

Part of me is thinking of spraying the undercarriage with waxoyl and/or white grease. The other part of me is scoping craigslist for something like an $800 Celica.. Seems like $1500 is the going rate for decent, worthwhile/winter car. Time will tell how that whole thing pans out.

Originally posted by bmwstephen
                            any advice on removing the airbag sensor and wiring? was hard to figure out what you did based on those pics :o
                            Not sure what to say there. It was one of those deals where it was easy work – just time-consuming. One can use a small drill to remove center-portion of sensor/trigger fasteners on front wheel wells – then a standard torx driver for removal.
                            Early part of this post shows where things are taken apart under dash to remove SRS brain box (easy). Seriously, it's mostly a matter of looking at what you want to remove, then taking to time to remove it.

Was able to sneak off into the Wisconsin countryside for a nice drive a few weeks back. Always a good time..

Painters tape over the skirt seams since the skirts were separating from body (macco's fault. poor prep as usual. f'ing macco.) Something I'll fix next spring. And the tires on the bottlecaps had began to show signs of dry rot (9ish+ years old) - so I swapped on a set of wheels and snow tires that I got a good deal on about a year ago (Thank you again Pete).

Got pizza-cutters? lol..

Comment

Mate it is great to here your life is getting back on track. Such an amazing car/build.
                              Best of luck with the job from Australia!
                              Cheers
                              Glenn

Track car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=2214204

Street car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=307890

Comment

YEAH SIMON!!!

Good stuff man. Always makes me happy seeing your thread updated. Pack that fudge bro!

Haha <3

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
                                hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
                                And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X