No announcement yet.

The wifey wants a new Forester.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im watching this because its almost time to ditch my wifes Nissan Rogue. It hasnt been a problem for us, but she got taken when she bought it brand new from the stealership. It was the end of the model cycle also... they got her good, so now Im trying to fix this situation. It has the CVT which Ive heard bad things about, but honestly the car hasnt been bad for us. I think the fear has gotten me though

Is the Forester the one they turned into an SUV or was it the outback? They had two models that were basically the same thing
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Im watching this because its almost time to ditch my wifes Nissan Rogue. It hasnt been a problem for us, but she got taken when she bought it brand new from the stealership. It was the end of the model cycle also... they got her good, so now Im trying to fix this situation. It has the CVT which Ive heard bad things about, but honestly the car hasnt been bad for us. I think the fear has gotten me though

Is the Forester the one they turned into an SUV or was it the outback? They had two models that were basically the same thing
      Forester is a mini-SUV like a RAV4 or CR-V; Outback is a large station wagon-like body.
      Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
      1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
      Palm Beach County

Comment

The Forester is the one they turned into an SUV - used to be a small jacked up wagon like an Alltrack, but it was the 4th or 5th generation of them that turned into an SUV.

I've always liked the Foresters (and my brother inlaw loves his new one), but I've been looking recently at either a lightly used F31 with a Carmax style warranty or a new Golf Alltrack. Only thing with the Alltrack is we didn't get them down here with a manual, so it's DSG or nothing...

Still pining after a 228i coupe though, just trying to find a compromise with practicality.
        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I think we have settled on a Ford Escape. The Toyota is nice but we couldn’t get over the styling of the new rav4, it’s a face only a mother could love we thought.

The escape really seemed like the forester and they’re both priced about the same. The boxer 4 in the suburu has a nice sound to it but the ecoboost Ford is pretty gutsy and it has a normal 6 speed automatic. The escape looks pretty nice, the heated cloth seats are nice, mpg is mid 20’s, she likes the height. I think the forester is nice too so it’s kind of a wash, either would suit her. The forester is getting a redesign and will be released this fall and we might wait and see what the newer forester is like.

Thanks for all the input.
          My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
          I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

you have over looked obvious choice the highlander not the rav
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
              The Toyota is nice but we couldn’t get over the styling of the new rav4, it’s a face only a mother could love we thought.
              The interior is really low-rent plastic in the RAV as well - I have to admit a friend of mine has one and I couldn't believe how plasticy the interior was. My wife's Hyundai is a lot better, despite being a cheaper car. The Santa Fe might also be worth a look.

Comment

Good point Luke, the wife decided to wait until November so we have plenty of time to look around. Thanks for the input.

(I have to say, I’m really envious of you having an M30 in your car. I’m saving my pennies for the day I find an e28 535i.)

Comment

Thanks - I have to admit that despite thinking about a new daily drive for myself, the M30 torque makes the e30 very easy live with and to get something vaguely as fun to drive I'm going to have to spend a lot, so will probably end up just sticking with it!

The M30 has racked up 390,000km on the original bottom end now, so I'm thinking that it can't last forever (although it's showing no ill effects at this stage). An e28 would be very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    They had two models that were basically the same thing
                    Legacy Wagon and the Outback (circa ten years ago). Different subtle looks but oddly competed in the same market segment.
                    -----------------

OP, I'm curious what your wife end up choosing. I don't like the new Forester since it got "boring", but the CrossTek or Rav4 seem interesting.
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

The Legacy Wagon handles much better than the Outback though.

It's a pity Holden (GM's Australian subsiduary) was never able to export the Adventra to the US - it wasn't a big seller down here due to us always having higher fuel prices than the US, but probably would have been a hit for chevrolet as a rival for the Outback - it's slightly bigger than the Subaru, AWD and ran a LS1 V8!

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                        The Legacy Wagon handles much better than the Outback though.

It's a pity Holden (GM's Australian subsiduary) was never able to export the Adventra to the US - it wasn't a big seller down here due to us always having higher fuel prices than the US, but probably would have been a hit for chevrolet as a rival for the Outback - it's slightly bigger than the Subaru, AWD and ran a LS1 V8!

Jeebus. Never underestimate the stupidity of government motors.

Comment

Heh, i bet the LS1 got better fuel economy than the outback anyway. We averaged 21mpg, which is really sad for a gutless 4cyl tractor engine.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            We averaged 21mpg, which is really sad for a gutless 4cyl tractor engine.
                            Another reason why I wonder why anyone would want one of these.
                            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Working...
                            X