Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 rattle noise

Hi there,

Ive got an M50 in my e30 and theres rattling from the front of the head. I have done the VANOS, swapped out the lower and upper tensioner with some used parts and its still there.

Its marbles/rattle at about 2000rpm.

Before i go out and buy a new timing chain, diaphragm springs and new tensioners i thought id see if anyone had any ideas.

THanks
    Blake

Originally posted by Blake23 View Post
    Hi there,

Ive got an M50 in my e30 and theres rattling from the front of the head. I have done the VANOS, swapped out the lower and upper tensioner with some used parts and its still there.

Its marbles/rattle at about 2000rpm.

Before i go out and buy a new timing chain, diaphragm springs and new tensioners i thought id see if anyone had any ideas.

THanks
    Blake
    Did you upgrade the vanos to later m52 one? If not, do that and the noise will go away. It has spring washer which m50 doesn't have and that pushes vanos sprocket making it unable to produce rattling noise ä.

Comment

Yes, when you say you've done the vanos, what exactly have you done? Just seals won't make it not rattle.

The upper tensioner on mine was bad and would make the chain rattle. Changed that out and the rattle went away.

Comment

Seals and little ring from Beisan

Comment

Originally posted by Blake23 View Post
          Seals and little ring from Beisan
          So the noise is probaply because it needs the upgrade.

M50 is missing parts 10 and 11. To upgrade to m52 vanos, get 11, 10, 9 and 3pcs of bolt 6.

Comment

I have purchased the spring plates, a new chain and a new upper tensioner.. While im there I thought id just replace what I can. I'll let you know how I go

Comment

No luck. Changed upper Tensioner upper chain and diaphragm spring and still no luck

Comment

That's not normal vanos noise, at least in my experience. That sounds more like the timing chain slapping around. Have you replaced the lower main tensioner? If you have, make sure the notch in the tension sits on the chain rail properly. If you don't get this lined up properly, it can cause issues.

Comment

I replaced with another used one. I’m ordering a new one today.

Comment

Beisan Systems sells the M50tu rattle kit to fix vanos rattle. I just ordered a pair for my e46 today, unfortunately. The kit fix's the annoying marble like noise you can hear between 1800-2200 rpms.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                      So the noise is probaply because it needs the upgrade.

M50 is missing parts 10 and 11. To upgrade to m52 vanos, get 11, 10, 9 and 3pcs of bolt 6.

I just did a 1995 US s50 model on Thursday, had all those parts. Are you sure that's not a Euro-only thing?

In fact, I have done several at my shop over the years and don't remember any of them (m50's) missing that spring.

EDIT: Strange, if you do a cross-reference, it shows "only in conjunction with" on early models...

john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        I just did a 1995 US s50 model on Thursday, had all those parts. Are you sure that's not a Euro-only thing?

In fact, I have done several at my shop over the years and don't remember any of them (m50's) missing that spring.

EDIT: Strange, if you do a cross-reference, it shows "only in conjunction with" on early models...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...41#11361403550
                        Not sure about the US s5x engines, because we don't have those here. It could be even that BMW upgraded the vanos for those before regular models. But at least in euro m50/m52 models, the engines before 3/95 don't have the spring washer there. And later ones have. But the rattle on earlier ones that don't have spring washer normally goes away using the later parts with spring washer.

Comment

I got to hear my M50 run before I purchased it. Heard an odd rattling but bought it any ways. Yanked it out and put it on a stand to reseal it all. I dropped the pan and sure enough chunks of plastic were lodged in the hole of the oil pick up. dead timing chain guide. Im not saying thats what is making the noise but its definitely a possibility as my m50 only had about 145k on the clock.

Comment

Working...
                          X