urgent fuse 20 related AC issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

urgent fuse 20 related AC issue

After 18 months of owning my car (89 with M52 swap) I finally got the AC working. It worked perfect for about 3 days - all fan speeds worked, recirc button worked, all sliders worked, then today started acting up on me.
    I was sitting at a stoplight and the whole HVAC panel lost power. Popped the hood and had lost fuse 20. Replaced fuse 20 and set the fan speed to 4, pushed snowflake button and it instantly blew fuse 20 again. Replaced the fuse, tried fan speed 1, pushed snowflake and it instantly blew. I tried different fan speeds both with the motor on and off and they both blow fuse 20 immediately when the snowflake button is pressed. The recirc button still functions fine, unless I push the snowflake which causes the whole HVAC panel to stop working.

Like I said the AC was working perfectly fine for days. I find it very odd that I would just randomly have a major wiring issue out of the blue. I traced the wires and didn't see anything that looked broken or grounded out. I've heard this can be caused by the compressor clutch, but why would that just start after a few days of no issues on a compressor that has never been used?

I'm going to Houston on Thursday for 2 months for work and I'd really like to bring the E30, but I can't survive in Houston summer with no AC. I used to daily a 68 Nova there and can't play the no AC game again

So it seems to be the aux fan. If it's plugged in when the snowflake is pushed it will blow fuse 20 immediately. I suck at electrical stuff so... Bypass resistor or replace fan?

Comment

Replaced the aux fan resistor and now it works fine. Both the old resistor that was blowing the fuse and this one get really pretty hot. Is that normal? That also makes me nervous about bypassing the resistor and melting something

Comment

That resistor gets hot. I replaced mine with an aftermarket magna one and got about two years before it gave out. Went BMW and three years it's still kicking.

Comment

I have this issue as well I cannot find a short and simply running the blower on 4 is fine or haveing the ac on with no blower is fine but with both on it blows fuse 20 the aux fan works on high but not on low so I have determined that the sensor and the resistor are bad but can the resistor really be the problem if i have it jumped to high ?

Comment

Working...
          X