• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prison industrial complex

Tell me your thoughts.
    This is evil.
    sigpic

Why not prime the pump with your thoughts a little more fleshed out than "This is evil."

Comment

Well I was asking for other's opionions, but,

Aided by the war on drugs, big business corporations, and brutal policing, CEOs of contracted companies that supply prisons and jails nationwide with surveillance, beds, food (if you can even call it that), building materials and labor, and so many other things, are just getting more and more wealthy by people getting locked up for petty drug crimes, the worst of which, are dealing weed. How is it that by our country's standards if you deal with a pound, you deserve to be locked up for years with violent offenders?
      sigpic

Comment

I think the biggest issue is the "for-profit" privatized prisons, because they lobby for harsher laws, so they can fill more cells/bunks, so they can get more $'s for building prisons, that are subsidized by local and federal government spending, not to mention the tax breaks they get for building in certain communities under the auspices of job creation, so they can make more money to lobby for more harsh laws, to fill more cells/bunks...

Comment

Yes, privately owned prisons are fucking piggy banks.
          sigpic

Comment

It should be in the best interests of any society to build itself so that the fewest people are in prison, not the most. Privatized prisons betray their conflict of interest by actively trying to drum up business. They say they won't turn a profit unless the beds are 90% occupied. This is insanity!

Comment

Originally posted by mar1t1me View Post
              It should be in the best interests of any society to build itself so that the fewest people are in prison, not the most. Privatized prisons betray their conflict of interest by actively trying to drum up business. They say they won't turn a profit unless the beds are 90% occupied. This is insanity!
              and the owners of the private prisons all go to the same country club as the politicians and people in positions of power. /alliteration
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X