The wifey wants a new Forester.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wifey wants a new Forester.....

So, I drove the wifey up to Greenville, SC to test drive a suburu forester. She likes it and my daughter likes it.

Does anyone here have any info? The model is set for a redesign this fall. She likes the CVT even after test driving a manual 6 speed. It’s a torquey motor (4 cyl box) and rode well enough.

Just throwing this out there. Our 2008 expedition has 150k on it and we don’t need the size anymore. Opinions appreciated. (She wouldn’t let me look at the pre owned bmw and Vw stuff right down the road). I’m seeing if she can find a ford, Ive had good experience with the super duty trucks, I run them to 300k and sell them for a good chunk 6 years later.....
    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

I’d say pass , just my preference

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

If its due for a redesign this fall, then I would hope they are trying to get current models pushed off the lots to make room for the new model. Perhaps good leverage for getting some more money off?
      Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
        Just throwing this out there. Our 2008 expedition has 150k on it and we don’t need the size anymore. Opinions appreciated. (She wouldn’t let me look at the pre owned bmw and Vw stuff right down the road). I’m seeing if she can find a ford, Ive had good experience with the super duty trucks, I run them to 300k and sell them for a good chunk 6 years later.....
        If you've had good experience with Ford, stick with 'em.

IMHO, the Subaru's are highly overrated. Once the warranty runs out, prepare to bend yourself over the service desk.

A decent set of snow tires on a RWD or FWD vehicle will give you years of trouble free, low maintenance service life for thousands less.
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I've had a good experience with a ford Explorer. Shouldn't have let that car go. The gas you'll save downsizing will not make up the cost difference BTW. Common mistake.

"Let's take a loss on the Audi, and get a Prius!" Ok, but the $4k loss is like 3 years worth of gas. Or something....
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Subaru...I've had good luck with them. The motors are bullet proof, minus the generation (4th or 5th?) that had bad head gaskets. The 4wd sytem is also one of the best out there.
            The bad.... they rust out real bad. I have a 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback 184xxx miles, original starter, alternator, rear brakes (yes!) axles (all 4). But i can hardly jack it up since it is rusted out underneath. I wouldn't hesitate to get a new one though. Like the Cross Trek.

dlm ny country

Comment

ive got a 2011 forestor, and i had a 2000 wrx...

Id have no hesitation buying any subaru EXCEPT the first generation of diesels. Unsure if that's a wise choice. But by now they'd have that sorted surely.

CVT though, thats gotta be weird to drive - i have no comment on CVT. In theroy it should be great, unsure how it goes in reality.

Comment

I have a 2015 Forester base model and I like it. It’s nimble, reasonably comfortable, accelerates nicely with the CVT, and has great visibility. It was inexpensive and it gets great gas mileage.

The 2.5L normally-aspirated motor sometimes is reported to have excess oil consumption problems. Mine has been OK, although it does consume a quart in 7,000 miles.

Other than radio Bluetooth issues, which Subaru fixed for free even after the warranty expired, my Forester has been completely flawless for 27,000 miles and over three years in service.

I don’t like the limited towing capacity (can haul a Miata, but not an e30), and the ride is not all that smooth (nor quiet) compared to more expensive cars. Otherwise I am very happy with it.

Overall, a good car that I would recommend.
                Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                Palm Beach County

Comment

Appreciate the comments, much obliged.

Comment

We owned a 2004 Forester 5 speed from 2006 to 2017. I really liked it, honest, basic transportation. The 2.5 was entertaining with the 5 speed. We had to do head gaskets at 140k, otherwise no issues.

Figured we would buy a new one when shopping last year. Didn't like the new one at all. Felt like an uncomposed turd, even with the 6 speed. Ended up with a VW Alltrack instead. Did everything better than the Forester. With the huge price discounts it was quite a bit cheaper too.

Hope it is as reliable...
                    1991 318iC
                    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

personally, I would never buy a Subaru again. CVT?
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

if you must have import small cross over....... Toyota highlander

this is all
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

To me they feel like tin cans, if it were my money ill get a Toyota Rav 4. Could easily drive it for 300k
                          sigpic

Comment

I have talked her into looking at the rav4, I think it would be perfect for her.

Comment

Definitely recommend a Toyota over a Subaru. Wife has a 2016 Crosstrek, fully loaded, and it's a nice car for road trips and driving around town, for what it is. Not an award winner in my book, but it gets the job done well.
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                              X