E30 V12 swap info ,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to drag up an old thread! Love the build, but have a few questions,

You mention the V8 (M60/62) and V12 (M70/73n) share the same flywheel bolt pattern, do you know if the diameters, and number of starter and crank sensor teeth are the same? I Guess I am really asking can you use the V8 flywheel on the V12 directly without modification?

What did you do for exhaust? Do you know if a standard set of E30 extractors will fit one side of the V12 cylinder head?

Only asking as I am fitting a M73n 5.4ltr V12 into a Ferrari P4 replica and this would simply some of the work.

Regards
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by theghostknfe View Post
      Sorry to drag up an old thread! Love the build, but have a few questions,

You mention the V8 (M60/62) and V12 (M70/73n) share the same flywheel bolt pattern, do you know if the diameters, and number of starter and crank sensor teeth are the same? I Guess I am really asking can you use the V8 flywheel on the V12 directly without modification?

What did you do for exhaust? Do you know if a standard set of E30 extractors will fit one side of the V12 cylinder head?

Only asking as I am fitting a M73n 5.4ltr V12 into a Ferrari P4 replica and this would simply some of the work.

Regards
      Mike
      Yes,, you can use M/S 6x flywheel and clutc,,

the teeth are equal,, in numbers ((same number of teeth on V8 and V12))

on M73 the crank-sensor is in the Bellhousing,, but NOT on M70,, but on M62 the crank-sensor ,, is also in the bellhousing

about the exhaust,, do CUSTOM,, dont save some bucks on a cheap exhaust,,

Exhaust pictures.......... http://www.alpina.123.is/photoalbums/264237/

What transmission ,, are you going to use ??

You can use the V8 gearbox,, if you use an adapter,,, VERY clever solution
      and cheap,,, as the G560 ((is expensive and often hard to get))

if i was you i would highly recommend to use a proper standalone system,, if you do that
      the timing is no problem at all,,

you can also try to get the vibration damper out of a M70 and the timing case covers,,
      WHY?? there you the sensor at the front and have no problems if using oem ECU etc etc

also that will solve timing problems on whatever gearbox you use
      Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
      ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
      E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

E30 V12 swap question

Hello,
        Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I'm am doing the same thing and was wondering a few things.
        1, what final drive ratio did you use and did you use a medium case diff or a large?
        2,could you go more in depth as to what you mean when speaking of the oil lines Because i have no idea what you meant.
        3,How did you get around controlling idle because if i'm not mistaken it was done by the electronic throttle bodies, and i am going stand alone so cant not use them similar to you.

Thanks sorry for bothering you,

Bentley

Comment

Originally posted by Bemme View Post
          Hello,
          Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I'm am doing the same thing and was wondering a few things.
          1, what final drive ratio did you use and did you use a medium case diff or a large?
          2,could you go more in depth as to what you mean when speaking of the oil lines Because i have no idea what you meant.
          3,How did you get around controlling idle because if i'm not mistaken it was done by the electronic throttle bodies, and i am going stand alone so cant not use them similar to you.

Thanks sorry for bothering you,

Bentley
          A bit of researching led me to http://www.e31.net/technical.html which lists the final drive ratio for the 850CSI with the S70 as 2.93:1, the M73 got a 2.81:1, and the M70 got a range of final drives being 2.93:1 and 3.15:1 for the Euro market, and 2.65:1 and 3.64:1 for the US market. Hope this helps!

I'm still day dreaming of what engine I may some day swap into my 318 vert, and if you do a V12 swap I'd definitely love another V12 swap thread.

Comment

This is crazy! What kind of fabrication did this all need to fit? youre giving me some ideas instead of doing an S50 turbo like everyone else

Comment

Working...
            X