Starting N52 Swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting N52 Swap.

Hello everybody dreaming of swaping a n54 for long time i ended up getting a complete 328xi manual. i actually bought the car for body parts with not running condition. when i went to pick up all it needed was a jump start. after parting it out, i removed the engine, and last week i found a good deal for 6speed removed from a e90 328i, and a msv70 since they are easier to read and write.

and old transmission for sale.

Now i need your help on picking right oil pan,
    fueling, (pump regulator lines ect)
    solving no cluster issue.
    and engine mounts.
    Attached Files

pretty sure you are going to need a custom subframe to make that work.

Comment

Hopefully Nando will chime in and he can be some help. However you might want to talk to Tyler at Arc Asylum about a subframe and oil pan combo.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
        pretty sure you are going to need a custom subframe to make that work.
        yes i need his help on msv70! some one take his attention here!

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
          Hopefully Nando will chime in and he can be some help. However you might want to talk to Tyler at Arc Asylum about a subframe and oil pan combo.
          in a week or two i will remove the old engine remove sub frame turn over the n52 and see how thinks work out.

Comment

guys i need help with the oil pan, the one from 328xi is not looking like is going to fit.

Comment

I don't know if the e60 pan is the same, but heres a thread about some oil pan stuff.

My guess is that you are going to need some form of custom subframe/oilpan work done.
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Bad news is that you have to manufacture your own oil pan and re-design oil pickup tube.

Comment

Maybe this is something that Arc Asylum has already done?

Comment

yeah, you will need some sort of modified oil pan / subframe combination. Actually, it might be worth it for Arc Asylum to eventually develop anyway - N54 swaps could use the same setup, and I'm working on standalone flashes for that as well. the N54 could definitely be a popular swap platform in the future (better torque/power potential than an S54, while also being significantly lighter).

I think the AT's came with aluminum pans that can be modified (I believe MT might be plastic, but it could be the other way around). the AWD pans won't help as they are still rear sump. I think you don't want to screw with the pickup tube, it's made of plastic and just presses into the pump - it would be better to keep it rear sump like the S54 pans. Maybe you can even use the same subframes they are making for S54 swaps.

It's not impossible to make a whole new pickup tube of course, but it's not as simple as cutting and welding a stock one. Parts from any other BMW 6 cylinder are of no use (except the N54, and some parts from the N55).

For mount arms I believe you can use Z4 N52 mounts, but that's just an educated guess (since the Z4 is basically an E46, and the E46 uses similar mounts to the E30/E36).

I've been focused on a software project related to all of this so my own swap has been stalled indefinitely. I still need to modify the oil pan, and I have a plan for that, it's just going to be on the back burner for a while.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

what about cutting both pans and using n52 flange welding m20 in it?

Comment

No. They aren't even close to being the same. M20 has the wrong angle, but not even a heavily modified M50 pan would work. And you still have to deal with the pickup tube.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Any Updates?

Any updates on the progress of this?

Comment

Working...
                          X