Canadian 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Powling View Post
    I could definitely go in on that and split the roll!
    We went to pick up the parts we ordered from the dealer a couple of weeks ago and found out that the grille foam is back ordered. :( Will let you know when it finally arrives!
    1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
    Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
      We went to pick up the parts we ordered from the dealer a couple of weeks ago and found out that the grille foam is back ordered. :( Will let you know when it finally arrives!
      Ahh bummer. Let me know what I owe you when you get it and I'll be sure to pop over to pick it up!

A small update here. I'm in the middle doing an E36 swap which you can follow in its own thread here, so not much else has been done since I am focusing on trying to finish that up right now.

I did however get my antenna delete plug from Garagistic so I guess thats worth sharing?

Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

Comment

Small update here. Haven't had much time to finish up some of the items with the front end because of a busy work schedule lately. That being said, I have all parts I needed now and just need to finish up the rack install and it can go back on the road after a long winter cooped up!

That being said, I got the new control arms and M3 offset bushings installed today. I had my work shop press the bushings into the lolipops for me yesterday, and today I realized I didn't have the tools needed to install the bushings onto the control arms...and I couldn't go out and buy anything to makeshift the tool needed to do it, so I have to improvise with a ratchet strap. It was a bitch to do, but I got both done!

Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

I do these by hand all the time..A little soap dish, is all you need.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
          '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
          '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
            I do these by hand all the time..A little soap dish, is all you need.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
            I tried the dish soap method and a grease method but nothing was even close to working. I think because the M3 bushings are solid rubber there isn't enough flex to get the control arm shaft into it...

...or I was just doing it the absolute wrong way.
            Steve • Toronto
            1991 318is • Brillantrot
            Build Thread

Comment

Finally finished up the steering rack swap this past week (with only one minor banjo bolt leak) and got to drive it for the first time since last fall.

The new rack feels great! I need an alignment, but looking past that the handling feels a lot sharper. Especially when paired with new M3 CAB's, new control arms and all new tie rods.

Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Since last fall? I don't know if I could go that longer without an e30 "fix". Nice photo!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                  Since last fall? I don't know if I could go that longer without an e30 "fix". Nice photo!
                  Our winters are long up here in Canada and there is usually salt on our roads from November until end of April. I was a little delayed with getting my steering rack finished up too.
                  Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

Been a long time since I have been able to update this. Summer has been slow for progress on the 318. I work in the event industry and we are the busiest in the summer months, so it doesn't leave much time for working on the car. I do get to drive it to work once or twice a week which is great!

Intake boot was looking bad so I replaced it.

Old verses new.

Did my first oil change on it as well. Looks like the previous crush washer had been used 2 or 3 or 100 times by the PO.

I also came across someone local parting out an M42 so I grabbed a spare intake manifold and valve cover. Planning on powder coating them over the winter and replacing the current ones on the engine.

Was able to put in a little time to clean under the hood too. Clean on the left, dirty on the right.

Installed the M Tech 1 wheel that a friend gave to me that he no longer wanted. Over the winter I am going to pull the leather off and learn how to rewrap it myself.

Stopped in to see a friend of mine's BMW collection. This is his EVO II M3, while beside it is his winter 'beater' (rust free E36 M3 sedan) and his euro spec E36 M3 coupe. Not shown here are his 1M daily driver, his Z3 M Coupe and the 996 GT3 his wife daily drives.

I also got to make it out to TedFest for the first time with a car. Have always been a spectator in the past. You can see the rear end of my 318is behind the M3's.

And finally a few shots from over the summer, just out driving and enjoying it while the weather is nice!

Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

Small update here.

Had my new Supersprint catback come in over the weekend (thanks to Paul and Lindsay of course) after picking it up for 50% off on black friday.

Couldn't be happier with the fit and finish quality. Can't wait to get it mounted up!

Needless to say, the PO did a hack job on the last exhaust they installed. The correct mounting brackets weren't even used, no wonder why the tip was always hitting the rear valence. I've already ordered the correct mounting brackets, all new rubber hangers and hardware as well.

Steve • Toronto
                      1991 318is • Brillantrot
                      Build Thread

Comment

Small update here.

Had my new Supersprint catback come in over the weekend (thanks to Paul and Lindsay of course) after picking it up for 50% off on black friday.

Couldn't be happier with the fit and finish quality. Can't wait to get it mounted up!

Needless to say, the PO did a hack job on the last exhaust they installed. The correct mounting brackets weren't even used, no wonder why the tip was always hitting the rear valence. I've already ordered the correct mounting brackets, all new rubber hangers and hardware as well.

how do you like your supersprint? i found mine to be too quiet and almost like stock but mine is a 325i

Comment

Originally posted by rikaro View Post
                          how do you like your supersprint? i found mine to be too quiet and almost like stock but mine is a 325i
                          Haven’t installed it yet - still waiting for the mounting hardware and brackets to come in before I finish mounting it up.
                          Steve • Toronto
                          1991 318is • Brillantrot
                          Build Thread

Comment

Sharp looking car. My personal opinion is that the Supersprint back-box is absolute perfection for an M42 car. I love the sound.
                            1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                            SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                            Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

[snip]

Needless to say, the PO did a hack job on the last exhaust they installed.

Wow. I had NO idea the exhaust that was on the car was that bad! I'm pretty sure we could teach a dog to weld better then that. :p

I'm super happy you (and Evan) are going to be running something so nice this coming season. ;D

Comment

So I was able to get the Supersprint installed, although I’m having trouble getting it aligned and sitting correctly in the valence opening.

It’s also leaking at both connections. Odd since the kit didn’t include any gaskets st all, and from RealOEM schematics it doesn’t look like there are any until you connect to the headers.
                                Steve • Toronto
                                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                                Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X