Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danny sucks

Comment

Alright so let's take a poll here. Is it worth it to spend the extra cash to upgrade to a 3.5" HFM, 24lb injectors and schrick cams while the head is out? Or am I just throwing money away?

Comment

Just buy my aluM52 and move on you with your life. you will get 18 points for doing so and I get some money
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          Alright so let's take a poll here. Is it worth it to spend the extra cash to upgrade to a 3.5" HFM, 24lb injectors and schrick cams while the head is out? Or am I just throwing money away?
          I think if you have the cash it would be a great idea to upgrade all at once. I also think that doing the "maf" and injectors in combination with the cams and a tune you will really pick up some good power.

I assume you'd be going 276/270?
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Yeah I think that's what the schrick cams from turner are. I don't want to go to crazy because I still have to pass smog in California. I was tempted to go with the TMS headers as well but I'm reading mixed reviews and I think I'll skip them.

Comment

Alright so I got the head torn off the car today. Headgasket isn't showing me where exactly it went bad but when I drained the oil the first thing to come out was actually coolant so I'm confident it's bad. No obvious signs of cracks in the head. Anyway, onto the pictures.

In the car:

VC off:

Close up of gunk:

Cyl 1:

Cyl 2:

Cyl 3 and 4:

Cyl 5:

Cyl 6:

Whole engine:

Now obvious the damage to cyl 3 is was concerns me. My guess is the damage is from detonation but I'm not exactly an expert in this field. I didn't see any obvious damage to the valves on cyl 3 so I'm hoping this bottom end is still good. Looking for some insight, feel free to let me know what you think.

Comment

^That is not detonation showing on the piston, that's damage from foreign objects.
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Alright. I'll accept that. No idea what could have gotten in there but my main concern is still if the bottom end is junk.

Comment

Gonna need a new piston and have the rotating assembly balanced. Could of had the end of a spark plug break off and bounce around in there

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

The damage to the piston tops looks bad. Particularly the 3rd piston, but several of the other pistons also look like they have lighter damage.

If there has been that much metal in there, it at least needs to be checked over properly to make sure it's ok. If the bores and ring lands are undamaged, then it might be alright but without disassembly of the bottom end it's hard to tell.

Probably best to disassemble and have a machine shop measure up the pistons / bores and check it over - then decide what to do.
                      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

So based on the damage to the pistons I elected to purchase a used engine. Picked it up from a recycler for a fair price. Pulled from an auto 95 M3 with 140k on it. Plan is to reseal it, pop it in and get it running and then build up the head from the other engine with cams and other machine work then put that head on this bottom end.

Comment

sounds like a solid plan

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Danny's 4door Calypso 24v car

Where you at nowadays Danny? Are you going to try and salvage the bottom end?

Comment

Bought a new house in the same city. I'm torn on what I want to do with the bottom end. I need to call around to some machine shops and see what the pricing is like to bore it out. I'm thinking it probably won't be worth the money to bore it out to s52 specs unless I get some high comp pistons and stuff but then I have to worry about smog. I think I'll probably build the head with some schricks and swap it as long as I don't find something fucky with this bottom end. If I don't bore it out I'll probably chuck the bottom end with the damaged pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                                Bought a new house in the same city. I'm torn on what I want to do with the bottom end. I need to call around to some machine shops and see what the pricing is like to bore it out. I'm thinking it probably won't be worth the money to bore it out to s52 specs unless I get some high comp pistons and stuff but then I have to worry about smog. I think I'll probably build the head with some schricks and swap it as long as I don't find something fucky with this bottom end. If I don't bore it out I'll probably chuck the bottom end with the damaged pistons.
                                You may be surprised how cheap it is to bore it. I'd guess $300 for a deck and bore.

If you're going to do that, you may as well go 87mm.

Is the block damaged on the one with damaged pistons?
                                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X