Track car: e30 s52 swap vs E36 M3/4/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDirtyS54Thirty View Post
    I wouldn't underestimate the e30 capabilities. I've managed to go sub 2s at Buttonwillow with a 1:59xx but then again I'm s54 swapped :) The goal is to hit 1:57xx on my current NT01s (225/45s).

This next time around Ill have a more stripped out interior, full cage (half cage at the moment), brake ducting, different pads, rear end refresh with solid bushings/camber adjusters welded in, RTD shifter, and bigger balls.
    i was waiting for this type a response..lol........it is true that an e 30 can be made to be a killer....but from the jump, an e36 is a better platform to track.....equal money put into both
    I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I do quite well with my E30 chassis, but it has taken a lot of work and re engineering to make it successful. I love the chassis so much that the thought of going to an E36 or E46 chassis is hard to swallow, but I think it may have to happen at some point. I will sway that in an E36 I do feel quite a bit less "connected", which I don't particularly care for. Come to think of it, I may just retrofit an entire E36 rear suspension into my E30 chassis instead.
      sigpicLevel Motorsport: www.levelmotorsport.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/levelmotorsport/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeVelIndustries/?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoB517 View Post
        I may just retrofit an entire E36 rear suspension into my E30 chassis instead.
        Please do. And please post it up. I want to see this done, and how to do it
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

I wouldn't underestimate the e30 capabilities. I've managed to go sub 2s at Buttonwillow with a 1:59xx but then again I'm s54 swapped :) The goal is to hit 1:57xx on my current NT01s (225/45s).

This next time around Ill have a more stripped out interior, full cage (half cage at the moment), brake ducting, different pads, rear end refresh with solid bushings/camber adjusters welded in, RTD shifter, and bigger balls.
          I was there that day. I was in the same run group. Your car was fast in the straights but looked pretty sketchy in the corners. It looked like you were working pretty hard. I think if you get more tire under there you should be able to hit your goal no problem. I don't think you need bigger balls, just more mechanical grip.

OP, I would stick with the E36 if you want to go faster. Unless you're into the novelty of driving an E30 you're going to have to spend a lot more time and money trying to make a swapped E30 run as fast as a E36 with nice suspension and bolt on power mods.

For reference, around the same track as TheDirtyS54Thirty, An E36 M3 with good street tires, coilovers, and basic bolt on mods are capable of running 1:59s. Add aero and they're in the 1:57 range still on street tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoove1 View Post
            I was there that day. I was in the same run group. Your car was fast in the straights but looked pretty sketchy in the corners. It looked like you were working pretty hard. I think if you get more tire under there you should be able to hit your goal no problem. I don't think you need bigger balls, just more mechanical grip.

OP, I would stick with the E36 if you want to go faster. Unless you're into the novelty of driving an E30 you're going to have to spend a lot more time and money trying to make a swapped E30 run as fast as a E36 with nice suspension and bolt on power mods.

For reference, around the same track as TheDirtyS54Thirty, An E36 M3 with good street tires, coilovers, and basic bolt on mods are capable of running 1:59s. Add aero and they're in the 1:57 range still on street tires.
            Sketchy is more fun right? haha What car were you driving? Id love to get more meat under there but finding a light weight 4x100, 15x9-10" wheel is damn near impossible without running huge spacers. Custom CCWs might be the answer...
            Last edited by TheDirtyS54Thirty; 08-31-2017, 11:20 PM.
            E30 S54

Comment

I miss my e30s50 track car..great power down the straight..I'm in the the middle of building my 318is slick top now..keeping the m42 because I want to see how my times will be compared to my e30m3 (miss very much)...till I find a s50/s52 I'm atyng with the zero hp,less torque engine
              NASA
              BMWCCA member
              PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
              1997 M3 sedan
              2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Sketchy is more fun right? haha What car were you driving? Id love to get more meat under there but finding a light weight 4x100, 15x9-10" wheel is damn near impossible without running huge spacers. Custom CCWs might be the answer...

I was running my sliver E46 M3 with the Stanceworks guys. It was good for only a 2:00.9 that day. Not terrible for a stock power and stock weight car. We're all headed back on the 23rd this month with Speed Ventures. Come out!

Anyways, I assume you saw these right?

I'm pretty sure it's what you need for that 1:57.

Comment

E36/E46 cars have a better chassis than the e30, no question, easier to drive, better power down, etc.
                  E30's can be fast though, I run a GT3 e30 318 against E36 M3's regularly, and do ok, E46 M3's the same level of prep are simply faster than both.

I really enjoy the e30, its not an easy car to hustle and be fast in, I enjoy that challenge. I'll post a vid later of me vs a friend in a GT3 e36 M3 with a swapped S54
                  Paul

91 318is GT3
                  08 328xi wagon

Comment

Vid of my 318 vs an s54 e36 M3.

Paul

91 318is GT3
                    08 328xi wagon

Comment

Interesting thread, lots of personal experience. Paging ForcedFirebird on this one...

I haven't tracked an E30 or an E36 M3 but if I had both I'd track the E36 M3 over my E30 purely because it's a better sorted chassis from the get-go. I know my E30 is significantly faster than an E36 M3 (or an S52 swapped E30) in a straight line and probably has enough grip to keep up in the corners, but it's more car than I could handle on the track and a nice stock E36 M3 would be more well sorted and easier to drive.

My other thought is that E30s are also getting harder to replace, but since yours is hail damaged I guess that's not as much of a concern.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by pmachan View Post

https://youtu.be/6TxDqzjOyhI
                        Damn that was fun to watch! What engine do you have in your e30?
                        E30 S54

Comment

Originally posted by thedirtys54thirty View Post
                          damn that was fun to watch! What engine do you have in your e30?
                          a 2.0l m42
                          Paul

91 318is GT3
                          08 328xi wagon

Comment

Originally posted by pmachan View Post

https://youtu.be/6TxDqzjOyhI
                            Not a damn thing wrong with the rear suspension.
                            Great vid.
                            Nice momentum driving.
                            What sanctioning body is that?
                            Jimmy P.
                            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                            92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                            98 318Ti Morea Green
                            04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                              Not a damn thing wrong with the rear suspension.
                              Great vid.
                              Nice momentum driving.
                              What sanctioning body is that?
                              Atlantic Region Motorsports, we have a small club owned track outside of Halifax Nova Scotia.
                              Paul

91 318is GT3
                              08 328xi wagon

Comment

awesome vid

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
                                sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

Working...
                                X