10 Day Build! E21 S54 - Bertha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 9

Day 9, A good amount of progress today. I sorted out many of the nuisance things that were bothering me. I accomplished alot on my plate. I now know where I stand with brakes. And there is a lot of work to do there.

You can see below that after fitting the intake manifold

Need a new upper radiator hose. Based on the position of the radiator and the low position of the engine, I need a custom hose. Easy.

Pressed Garagistic's 95A differential Mount in the rear carrier!

Relocated the battery in the rear. And no, I didn't just throw it back there. There's a battery hold-down mechanism there that will hold it in nice and tight. You can see the ground lug to the right there. This will help offset the front-heavy weight distribution.

Got my Walbro 255lph pump in. No issues getting it to fit. Re-used some of the stock hardware, but other than that, it's tight in there with no interference. Just need to add an in-line filter somewhere. !

No intereferences anymore (about 1/2" of clearance) between the overflow tank and the alternator Pulley. It's important that I make sure the radiator is married to the body with minimal movement so that this does not move anywhere.

So 9 days down, and an estimated 4 days to go. I've put in a total of 50hours into this build since September 10th. I estimate I have another 30 to finalize it.

So tomorrow I'll need to weld the shifters, engine ground, and a big one......Rear Subframe Bushings. They should be completed tomorrow at which point I can re-focus on the rear end and getting the subframe, trailing arms, and suspension installed.

Almost there - Getting very tired.
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

leaving comment to follow build

Comment

Swanny!
        SUCKERS.

Comment

It was a pretty bold attempt to do the swap so quickly but you've managed to get a lot done in these 9 days. Pretty amazing.

Are you going to bring it to So Cal vintage in a few weeks?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

When I saw the time line set for yourself to accomplish this monumental task, the first thing that came to my mind was that the only way for (basically) one man to accomplish this in so short a time, the work would almost certainly be very slapdash. I am glad that you have realized the timeframe set wasn't realistic. Now you can step back, take a deep breath, and put the time required to make this a quality swap.

Who cares if it takes you two months? The important thing is to do a good job. Even if it takes you that long(or longer), that would still be crazy quick considering all the fabrication involved.

As rob Schneider says in the movie water boy: "you can do iiiiiitttt!!!!!!"
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I do appreciate the constructive criticism and I'll have you know I've been dedicating half days to the project. Here are my logged hrs so far:
              Sat Sept 10 - 4hrs
              Mon Sep 12 - 7hrs
              Tues Sep 13 - 6hrs
              Wed Sep 14 - 3hrs
              Thurs Sep 15 - 10.5hrs
              Fri Sep 16 - 2hrs
              Sat Sep 17 - 6hrs
              Mon Sep 19 - 5hrs
              Tues Sep 20 - 6hrs

Outlook for the remainder of work before my resources runs out is this Saturday.
              Wed Sep 21 - 5hrs
              Thu Sep 22 - 7hrs
              Fri Sep 23 - 11hrs
              Sat Sep 24 - 5hrs

Total hours spent by end will be just under 80hrs.
              The goal by Saturday afternoon is to get the car:
              On the ground
              Idling
              Rolling, with exhaust and a functioning driveline.

Concessions I will have to make in the short term:
              Brake Booster - Might go with boosterless Brakes.
              Driveability - If it runs and drives, I'm happy. But will need to work drivability issues.

I'll talk about what I've learned on this Saturday/Sunday's post.

I'm glad you guys are keeping in mind that this was a very success oriented swap. Thanks for your support
              Recent Rebranding!!
              E30 SM62/S62
              E30 M60 V8
              E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

A+ so far!

Comment

Day 10

So here we are, Day 10. And I'm about 3/4 the way done. But the hard part is really over. The last 10 days have been very taxing on me - Very stressful. But I've learned a lot about my capabilities, my problem solving abilities, and how simple it really is when you have a lift.
                  While I might be relenquishing the Lift shortly, and temporarily, I will still be able to completemore tasks. Here's what I have 100% completed:

Coolant System
                  Fuel System
                  Electrical Thought - Not yet implemented
                  Steering (no change)
                  Need to complete the following

Brakes - Need to re-install booster - I will modify the S54 Intake to clear the booster for now.
                  Oil
                  Pump - Going E34 M50 pump/sprocket/chain,
                  Pan - VAC Baffle
                  Tap Oil Drain for 5/16 Hose
                  Exhaust - Need to completely weld
                  Rear Suspension. Need TA welded, Diff Mount,
                  Receive Elongated Driveshaft
                  Assemble Diff
                  Many of these tasks are relatively simple installation tasks, so they should take no more than an afternoon to complete.

Now here are some pictures of some of my accomplishments today. I do not plan to update daily anymore. My next update will likely be Saturday Night or Sunday. Thanks again for tuning in...

Recent Rebranding!!
                  E30 SM62/S62
                  E30 M60 V8
                  E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Checkpoint 1

So 10 days is over. Now I'm posting in checkpoints. Every few days I post updates. I won't be working on it as much, so daily updates might not be worth the post, so I'll have probably 3 of these checkpoint postings until I'm done with the car. Some of the things I was going to do if I had the time is - Paint red, Euro Bumper Shortening. I must wait for that for a while.

I've made some progress since day 10. I managed to use the MSS5X binary tool to re-flash my MSS52HP to the specifications below. Remove Post O2 Cats, Remove Secondary Air Pump, Remove EWS, Increase rev limiter, sport mode, changed sport mode settings for my accelerator pedal.

First, I got my license!

Then I completed the shifter assembly using Garagistics bushings!

Wired up the battery cable from the trunk to the starter. I added power wiring to the Fuse Box as well as power to the ECU as well.

Upper Radiator Hose Mocked up.

Then I went into the details of replacing the oil pump chain and E34 M50 Oil Pump

Drilled out the oil pan, tapped with 9/16-18 thread for an O-Ring fitting allowing a barbed hose to drain from the head. I used a 9/16-18 nut just in case the thinner walled oil pan didn't take the threading.

Finally I started doing some other preparations, like rebuild the rear calipers and exhaust work.

My next post will be in another few days. If I'm lucky, I'll have this thing running and driving by week's end!
                    Recent Rebranding!!
                    E30 SM62/S62
                    E30 M60 V8
                    E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Great work! Are you using Euro headers? You're so close now!

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Nope - just cut cats out of US headers.
                        Looking to complete by this Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Recent Rebranding!!
                        E30 SM62/S62
                        E30 M60 V8
                        E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Haha, yeah I think that's a great way to go. I chopped the cats off my headers with the intent of doing the same, but my fab skills were a bit short on mitering and welding up a nice looking butt joint.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Yeah well noting about my swap will "look" nice but I can tell you it will be functional!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Recent Rebranding!!
                            E30 SM62/S62
                            E30 M60 V8
                            E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Wow this is awesome! Almost there! Can't wait to see it run.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
                              Instagram:
                              https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
                              LS Build Thread:
                              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

regarding the photo that shows pedal position versus desired throttle position, is that the factory pedal calibration for the sport button?

Interesting, quite aggressive. I was wondering how to map this "OEM like" in Motec. Turns out I have my pedal set very softly!
                                88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Working...
                                X