[E28] How to fix your cruise control & OBC speed/mileage functions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[E28] How to fix your cruise control & OBC speed/mileage functions

If both your cruise control and MPG/speed functions on your OBC don't work or are flaky likely the connector on the back of your cluster is making poor contact like mine was. Both the OBC and cruise control module get their speed input from a small blue connector that attaches to the circuit board of the speedometer through a hole in the back of the cluster housing.

The connector.

Can barely see the contacts in there.

There's the top one

Pop the rear cover off

Pop a terminal out paying attention that they are held in with small clips. I used a small flathead screwdriver

The bare terminal

I cleaned the contact surfaces with some crocus cloth, likely an unneeded step

Gently bend the two "legs" towards each other and reinstall

Before and after for the other side

Also cleaned the circuit board contacts a bit, again probably unneeded, they were pretty shiny as is

Reinstall the cluster and you should be set. The blue connector definitely took a good push to get on compared to what it used to be. Go for a drive and enjoy cruise and seeing your gas mileage!
    Last edited by Click; 03-03-2017, 02:59 AM.
    ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
    Originally posted by blunttech
    I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
    Build Thread?

I really need to do this, thank you for the writeup!
    -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
    -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Should be obvious, but this procedure won't fix your problem if the cause is something like a bad clutch or brake switch, or cruise module...
      http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Working...
      X