Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic M42 DME for swap??

I am swapping in a 95 m42 in my e21.

I haven't given much mind to this but I'm wondering if I need to..

I'll be ditching the auto trans and using the E30 g240. I'm sure there will be some wiring I need to do for the ECU/DME but am I down playing this? Where can I learn more on what the DME will be looking for from the auto? Am i down playing this?

Also i understand that performance chips look for specific DME right? Is the automatic a specific dme or is it not? I would like to at some point plug in a chip but I'm not sure what an auto trans means for engine management.

I THINK the E36 M42 dme is separate from the trans- as in, it could care less.

But I've not dug deeply into it...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      I THINK the E36 M42 dme is separate from the trans- as in, it could care less.

But I've not dug deeply into it...

t
      Thanks, Im pretty sure as well but not 100%.

I have read through the wiring diagrams already for the swap and I saw no indication that the auto had a different DME or wiring to the DME, though there is wiring from the DME plug to a transmission range switch, which I planned to either ground out or terminate or leaveit (still need to research)

Also, turner motorsports chips say 'auto or manual' for the same chip. All that matters (obviously) is if its a OBD1/m42 or OBD2/m44.

I started to look at threads where people did auto to manual swaps and they seem to have fleshed out the details and seem to agree.

Thanks!

Comment

Ews.

Comment

Crap I didn't THINK about EWS...

not sure what complications that will bring..

Theres always megasquirt if I hit all these hurdles.

Comment

Originally posted by e30sh View Post
            Ews.
            Well Im glad you said something. My car is a July 1995 production, which means while being an OBD1, it has an EWS2 system.

Honestly, I read about EWS when I was studing wiring diagrams but just figured it was nothing worth minding. Turns out its a pain in the ass!

The way I see it I can either delete the EWS with a delete chip. Im seeing if I can buy a 92-94 motronic ECU. I figured I was getting a chip anyways, but the 92 motronic would be $100 cheaper.

I appreciate you pointing it out, you saved me a frustrating headache down the line, truly.

Comment

Working...
            X