Luna - 1992 325iC MTech Appearance Package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    Damn!! Did you follow the advice I posted above?
    Yeah sprayed carb cleaner all over the place and never raised RPMs even a bit. I swapped the O2 sensor and my stomp code cleared up but it seems like it's just running lean. The AFM cap calls off very easily so I'm starting to wonder if maybe the previous owner messed with it.

Can someone possibly send me a pic of underneath the AFM cap to compare?
    1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Carbon build up in the cylinders can increase combustion chamber temperature causing an increase in NoX emissions.
      Since the m20 does not have an EGR system to take care of an increase in NoX, it is easier to fail a smog check
      Try doing a Seafoam treatment on the engine.
      I have had several successes with decreasing Nox emissions by this method.
      Worst case is replace the catalytic convertor to get the emissions down.
      With the new California approved convertor's I have seen emission numbers at zero.
      1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
      1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
      1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
      1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
      2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
      2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
      2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
      2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by wilholl View Post
        Carbon build up in the cylinders can increase combustion chamber temperature causing an increase in NoX emissions.
        Since the m20 does not have an EGR system to take care of an increase in NoX, it is easier to fail a smog check
        Try doing a Seafoam treatment on the engine.
        I have had several successes with decreasing Nox emissions by this method.
        Worst case is replace the catalytic convertor to get the emissions down.
        With the new California approved convertor's I have seen emission numbers at zero.
        I did do sea foam a few weeks ago. Did a 1/3 through the oil cap, fuel cap, and vacuum hose on FPR. How should I do it?
        1987 325 Turbo

Comment

You could also try a colder thermostat such as a 75°? Doubt it will do much but just a thought, if the numbers are pretty close it might just make it with the new thermostat.

Edit: Those numbers are pretty far off, you should do a smoke test just for the kicks. NOx is caused by the combustion chamber being too hot (like stated above) but who knows still wouldn't hurt to check right. Hopefully no one messed with your throttle body "adjustment" piece aka the piece your not suposed to adjust, or you AFM over the years. PS, if you want to trade rear seats you have my number :D
          Last edited by KIRIEIW; 09-12-2017, 09:22 PM.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

This reminds me of my MT2 project back in the day. Looking good!

COTM

Comment

I'm going to try an exhaust I got last year with a new cat and muffler and if it doesn't pass I'm just going to list as non-op and do a deeper rebuild than I had planned. Luckily I have a second car and don't need the E30 on the road.

On the upside I scored a pretty much crack free dash at the Pick N Pull for $30 with a like-new HVAC panel and 6 button OBC.

Here is the MTech II valance I just got to complete the kit and my bent up original valance. Going to see if I can straighten it out to keep the original panel on the car, doesn't have to be perfect since it hides behind the MTech valance.

1987 325 Turbo

Comment

09/19/2017

I was in Las Vegas for about a week for family things so haven't had too much time to work. I did order some parts like the rest of the pieces for a manual top conversion and some new clips for the MTech II valance.

As for the smog issue I'm going to try an exhaust system I got on my old E30 last year with a new cat and muffler.

Removed most of the front to see the damage and re-mount the oil cooler.

Looks good aside from this single dented in piece. The only thing affected is that attachment point for the valance. Is it worth replacing the radiator support on a salvage car?

Straightened out the original valance enough to be hidden under the MTech valance.

Spark plugs after about 50 miles.
                1987 325 Turbo

Comment

That's the pick N pull I go to. You hit the jackpot. I'd sell that arm rest. Shits stupid.
                  Originally posted by iso_hi View Post
                  09/03/2017

Today was a good day. Decided to change the thermostat to see if Luna would run normal instead of running rich, the temperature gauge would stay at a 1/4 mark. Did that in like 15 minutes. The gauge would stay in between the 1/4 mark and the 1/2 mark. Slight improvement. Maybe the temp sensor is out so decided to go to the Pick N Pull to get a sensor to try tomorrow if bleeding out air doesn't work.

Also cleaned the wheels, they were filthy. I'm surprised they look so good still, not a lot of curb rash. I'm missing two white center caps so I'm not using any at the moment.

I went to the Pick N Pull in Windsor at about 3pm. I was going to wait till tomorrow since it's 100 degrees today but they are having a 50% off sale and I didn't have much to do so I went.

I basically hit the jackpot. An auto 325i had been added a couple days ago and it was untouched. I got an alpine white trunk lid with an iS spoiler and no third brake light. Installed it.

Bilstein B4's for the rear

Ashtrays and hazard button I never had

Got some mint condition sun visors and finally...

A Husco armrest!

I paid $50 for everything. So happy I went to the Pick N Pull today.

I should be getting the MTech II valence next week and after that we'll get the whole car resprayed. Everything is moving a lot faster than expected, might even do a manual swap. Not sure what to do about the interior. It's hard finding Lotus white interior pieces in good condition. Since it is a salvage title maybe it wouldn't matter to change the color. Always been a big fan of cardinal red. We'll see.
                  "I wanna see da boat movie"
                  "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Working...
                  X