318is AUX fan-no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is AUX fan-no power

My fan still spins freely. The resistor still has juice on one end but not the other. Fuse 18 was blown and is not getting power anymore. The fan never comes on now.

What would cause the fuse to blow and then get no power at the fuse?
    Do i have a low or high relay problem?

See page 6454-0 here: http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

Since you say you have "juice" (by which I assume you mean +12VDC) your low speed relay is working, or at least turned on. I would try unhooking the fan and resistor at the connector behind the driver's side headlights and short pins 1 to 2 then 1 to 3 on the temp switch connector on the side of the radiator and see if you have voltage at fuses 3 then 18, respectively. That will rule out the temp switch and the relays. May be a bad resistor or fan.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
      See page 6454-0 here: http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

Since you say you have "juice" (by which I assume you mean +12VDC) your low speed relay is working, or at least turned on. I would try unhooking the fan and resistor at the connector behind the driver's side headlights and short pins 1 to 2 then 1 to 3 on the temp switch connector on the side of the radiator and see if you have voltage at fuses 3 then 18, respectively. That will rule out the temp switch and the relays. May be a bad resistor or fan.
      I'll try that. thank you. Good idea to test the fuses and relays. I wasnt originally aware of the temp sensor being a part of this system. My 318is only has the one sensor that i can see on the radiator...

stand by for results...

Comment

So i tested everything and it all worked fine. I change the Resistor and everything seems to be working fine now. its been a couple weeks and fuse18 hasn't blown yet. Although the fuse did blow a second time after the first one, before i changed the resistor. I'm going to credit the second fuse blowing due the fan kicking on for temp reasons(with the old resistor still wired up), seeing how i never turned the A/C back on.

Also had a hard time with the screws that mount the resistor on the fan. mine were seized up so i had to take the fan out of the car and drill them out. be careful cuz they screw into plastic.

+you do not have to take the whole condenser out in order to get the AUX fan out for those who think its necessary.

Comment

Working...
        X