• Show
Clear All

convertible market pricing

What would you say is fair market value for the following:
    • 1988 325i convertible
    • automatic
    • 97k miles
    • 3 documented owners, full history known
    • Extremely well maintained (by me). Recent timing belt, full Bilstein TC suspension, bushings, etc, a/c conversion.
    • Good tan leather interior (with some flaws)
    • Good paint (but it's Bronzit)
    • New Vredstein tires on stock bottle caps
    • Original glass everywhere
    • New brown top ($1500)
    • No dash cracks
    • Working dash and trip computer
    • Driven once a month to cars & coffee and once to Bimmerfest in LA. Like 3k miles in the last 5 years.

Needs:
    • front subframe replaced
    • guibo/driveshaft
    • PS is leaking (hose most likely)
    • engine oil leak (pan gasket most likely)

I'm only considering selling it because I was dumb enough to buy an Alfa Romeo that needs my attention...
    If it were't for the subframe issue I would have driven it to E30picnic.

Is it an $8k car? $5k car? It's really hard to read the market. From what I'm seeing, if it was blue or black and a stick, it would probably fetch $10k or more on BaT.

The big selling points (for me) are that it's a clean unmolested example.
    Yes, I'll add pictures when I can and no this is not an ad, it's just a discussion.
    Last edited by danix; 06-26-2018, 02:52 PM.
    1988 325iC SOLD
    1985 524td 49k

Auto or manual?

What happened to the subframe?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Ah yes, forgot to mention automatic (another negative for most people, but its quite nice to cruise in). It's also got an upgraded ECU, one of the few non-stock changes.
      The tab on one side of the subframe broke, I'm in the process of getting it fixed along with the other stuff.
      1988 325iC SOLD
      1985 524td 49k

Comment

wy u no piks?
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I'd much rather buy an unmolested "survivor" with an auto trans and do a swap over a 5spd that has probably had the crap revved out of it....but that's just me
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

By popular request:
            My E30

You'll see some old photos - the car literally has not changed in appearance 4 years later other than the top.

I'm genuinely interested in pricing feedback like "it's a $5k car, sell it as is" or "it's worth 10k if everything is perfect, discount it $1000 for the work or have it done" or something like that.

I know I will regret selling this but my childhood best friend has a diesel E30 wagon in Portugal I'm thinking about importing :)
            1988 325iC SOLD
            1985 524td 49k

Comment

1988 325iC SOLD
              1985 524td 49k

Comment

As with most things, the "problems" can often be minor when you get in there.
                I described a broken subframe - it's not the whole subframe, it's just the mounting tab where the swayer bushings clamp in. One side tab is broken and the clamp fell off (bushing and swayer just hanging out). This thread describes a DIY fix: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=205071

I know the right thing to do is replace the subframe, I think. Any opinions?

Next my power steering leak - I think it's just the hoses. The larger return hose moves loosely at the rack though it's clamped, and I saw some evidence of leaking on the other hose that goes to the pump.

Oil leak is definitely a big one, it leaks when the nose is higher than the tail. So since I have to drop the subframe to replace the pan gasket, I guess that's my answer.
                1988 325iC SOLD
                1985 524td 49k

Comment

God I love working on the E30. Everything is logical, there's plenty of room.
                  Subframe is out. Steering rack is out.
                  I'm going to replace the control arms for good measure since they are out, tierod ends and swaybar links and bushings.

I've got the steering rack out and still can't figure out if it's leaking hoses or the rack. If it's the rack, I imagine I'll see wet seals once I get the boots off right?
                  I'm also considering a shorter turn radius rack since I've gone this far - E36 conversion I think?

Next, oil pan gasket and order a reinforced subframe...
                  1988 325iC SOLD
                  1985 524td 49k

Comment

Originally posted by danix View Post
                    If it's the rack, I imagine I'll see wet seals once I get the boots off right?
                    I'm also considering a shorter turn radius rack since I've gone this far - E36 conversion I think?...
                    Yes and yes. Rackdoctor.net and he provides inner tie rods with the rack
                    Last edited by jeffnhiscars; 06-30-2018, 06:17 AM.
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

OK, revisiting this discussion. I'm inclined to put the car on BaT but I'm still trying to gauge what the market is.

The car now has:
                      - replaced subframe with good used, professionally welded Garagistic reinforment kit
                      - oil pan gasket replaced
                      - power steering rack is fine, hoses and bottle replaced
                      - new control arms and tie rods, swaybar links and brackets
                      - reupholstered rear seat (upper and lower) and new roundels

A/C needs to be recharged but has been converted to R134a. Still has under 98k miles.
                      It's almost a perfect car in that every trim piece is there and correct.
                      Just had it smogged again (in preparation for sale, it last passed in December with flying colors).

So back to my original question - is it a 10k car? 8k? I see people asking $5k for cars with over 200k that don't have anywhere near as much maintenance/repairs done.
                      I would appreciate your feedback.

1988 325iC SOLD
                      1985 524td 49k

Comment

Is it worth 10k? I think so. But will someone buy it for 10k, idk.

Comment

I've seen similar go in the last two years between $8k and $12.5 depending on year, milage, color, etc...

Good things:
                          Milage is pretty decent. Usually, between 90k-120k there's a bunch of maintenance that comes due, but it appears you've taken care of almost all of it. Net positive.
                          Positive mods like the subframe reinforcements and such.
                          The obvious care you have taken with it.
                          Basically turnkey.

Downsides if I were looking at it (subjective):
                          Bronzit
                          Automatic
                          Earlier appearance front (I like the facelifted ones in 1990-1993, could be just me)

If it were mine and fully done like that, I'd put a reserve of $9k on it and put it on BaT. I think you could get a bit more than $10K.
                          Current - 1991 E30 325i Auto Vert, 2013 F30 335i M-sport, 2014 F25 X3 M-sport
                          Past - 1986 E30 325es, 1988 E30 M3, 1991 E34 535i 5sp, 1991 E31 850i 6sp, 1992 E36 325i, 1995 E36 M3, 2000 E46 323i, 2009 E60 535i, 2011 E90 335d

Comment

Thanks escaport. I thought the same when I bought it, but the Bronzit has really grown on me, and the automatic is really nice for the traffic we have around here.
                            I will likely list it on BaT, still debating if reserve vs no reserve is the best strategy.
                            1988 325iC SOLD
                            1985 524td 49k

Comment

Now on BaT, no reserve.
                              1988 325iC SOLD
                              1985 524td 49k

Comment

Working...
                              X