Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accelerator Pedals and their Springs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accelerator Pedals and their Springs....

I read somewhere that after '87, E30s were fitted with lighter accelerator springs that were easier to compress....

... is that true?

And if so - can I fit such a spring to my '87 325is (with a heavy accelerator spring) ?

Anyone?

I just checked the part numbers and the spring on an 84 318i and a 90 325i are the same. I dunno.

You might want to try disconnecting the spring attached to the arm on the pedal. The spring on the TB should pull the cable back to the normal position and it might remove some of the tension. I definitely wouldn't drive around until I was sure everything was cool though. Might be more tension on the accelerator cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i
      I just checked the part numbers and the spring on an 84 318i and a 90 325i are the same. I dunno.

You might want to try disconnecting the spring attached to the arm on the pedal. The spring on the TB should pull the cable back to the normal position and it might remove some of the tension. I definitely wouldn't drive around until I was sure everything was cool though. Might be more tension on the accelerator cable?
      Hrm - those ETKs are handy - need one m'self!!

Yeah, could just be more tension on the cable - it has always been this way, since I bought it from the PO - he was a mechanic and a racer, so I have left it that way. Just wondered.

That being said, my brake pedal has short travel and is also stiff to depress - same thing, y'think?

When I get in my E36, I swear, feels like I could press the pedals all the way with my li'l finger....

Comment

Nah, I don't think the brake pedal is spring related. What pads/lines (stainless?)/master cylinder are you running?

If you look at the upper right of this picture, you'll see the small spring (not the clutch helper spring, the one alone in the corner). This is the brake pedal one, and there's a somewhat similar one on the gas pedal. They are so small and so high up on the pedal arms that they can't possible have much leverage.

Comment

a sidenote about the ETK, an online version of it has been released by BMW, I don't have the specifics on it, but you have to have an access code to get on, these are only issued to the dealer. If you have connections with a dealer, try to hook that up. It's going to make it much easier for me as I can hopefully read the ETK on my mac, it's doubtful though. I haven't tried it out yet, I'll update you guys once I do.
          sorry about the off-topicness, thought it might be of some interest

Comment

Working...
          X