Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical fan?

I found this article

SPAL is a brand name and is recognized as one of the top aftermarket fan companies out there. The model that I chose was the 16" medium profile puller style that mounts on the inside of the radiator. This size has sufficient CFM (the amount of air it moves) and is thin enough to clear the water pump pulley (where the old fan clutch mounts) and the alternator and power steering pumps. The lowest price I could find anywhere for this fan is here (thanks to Jon Moeller):

For mounting, I went with the cable-tie style that you can buy from Racer Parts Wholesale, which works perfect. The cable ties go through the radiator and there are clips on the other side that attach it. You can find them here (scroll down to the "quick mount kit"):

Make sure you have the fan on the right place on the radiator before you use the clips! I mounted mine on the upper left hand side (from the driver's perspective) to ensure clearance from the items I mentioned above. As for the water pump pulley, some people cut off the stud where the fan clutch would normally mount. I decided to leave it there and covered it with a little cap sold by Turner. Cutting off the stud would allow you to go with a fan that is probably 1" or more in depth. The stud nut can be found here:

The wiring is really easy with the A/C removed. The SPAL fan has two wires coming out of it, power and ground. The brown wire that was for the aux A/C fan attaches to the ground wire and the green/black one is for the power. There is another aux fan wire that is blue/black, but I don't know what that one is for (I just capped it off). You also need to upgrade the fuse in your fusebox for the aux fan low speed to 25 amps, otherwise the fuse will pop (no worries the wiring can take it). Wired in this way the fan will now operate with the snowflake button.

To get the fan to come on automatically when the coolant warms up, move the low speed thermo switch from the radiator (it is the top one) to where the coolant drain plug normally is on the engine block. The switch becomes the drain plug (yes the thread size is the same). Use the removed drain plug on the radiator where the thermo switch was (just swap them). Snake some wires from the female clips that normally attach to the switch at the radiator down to the switch which is now on the block. Now, when your coolant hits about 190F degrees the fan will come on automatically. This is the beauty of using the existing aux-fan/ac wiring - it is already set up with the right relays, etc.

I experimented with leaving the thermo-switch on the radiator but the coolant would get way too hot (near the red zone on my dash gauge) before it would trigger the fan - even with another lower temp switch I had bought. Maybe it is my car or the fact that it was 20F in my garage, but I would have thought it would have come on sooner. Since it didn't I went with moving it to the block which is working well.

A couple things you should know:

1. I did not wire it so that I have both the high and low speed functions like the aux fan has - all I wanted was high speed since my car is a track car. I suppose if you used the aux fan resistor you might get the low and high speed functions (low speed when the switch on the block closes, and high speed when the high-temp switch on the radiator closes (the other one on the radiator)) and maybe that is what the green/black wire is for (I never tested it). I suppose this would work but those switches are designed assuming there is the stock fan clutch in place, and I fear the coolant would get too hot before it triggered the high speed switch. Maybe replacing the high speed switch with a lower temp one would get it to close sooner...hmmmm...food for thought

2. The medium profile 16" puller fan is VERY loud since it has straight blades. If my car was street use I don't know if I would like it. It sounds like a small turbine - very loud. If this is a concern of yours look at the curved blade fans and see if you can find one with the right CFM that still provides clearance

what are the benifits from an electrical fan? Will it save gas milage?

Re: Electrical fan?

Originally posted by E30NewBie

Nice article...I am running my aux. fan off the thermostat and with a switch to turn it on @ low speed at my desire.

The benefits to removing the mech. fan are you "free up" some hp...maybe 1 or 2. I HATE the mech. fan and since mine was shot I took it out together with the shroud.

I have auto-xed my car with this setup 2 times or so and I have not noticed any negative impact...my car didn't overheat this past summer either...

I will do the Spal setup sometime next year.

Comment

Re: Electrical fan?

Originally posted by E30NewBie
      I found this article

SPAL is a brand name and is recognized as one of the top aftermarket fan companies out there. The model that I chose was the 16" medium profile puller style that mounts on the inside of the radiator. This size has sufficient CFM (the amount of air it moves) and is thin enough to clear the water pump pulley (where the old fan clutch mounts) and the alternator and power steering pumps. The lowest price I could find anywhere for this fan is here (thanks to Jon Moeller):

For mounting, I went with the cable-tie style that you can buy from Racer Parts Wholesale, which works perfect. The cable ties go through the radiator and there are clips on the other side that attach it. You can find them here (scroll down to the "quick mount kit"):

Make sure you have the fan on the right place on the radiator before you use the clips! I mounted mine on the upper left hand side (from the driver's perspective) to ensure clearance from the items I mentioned above. As for the water pump pulley, some people cut off the stud where the fan clutch would normally mount. I decided to leave it there and covered it with a little cap sold by Turner. Cutting off the stud would allow you to go with a fan that is probably 1" or more in depth. The stud nut can be found here:

The wiring is really easy with the A/C removed. The SPAL fan has two wires coming out of it, power and ground. The brown wire that was for the aux A/C fan attaches to the ground wire and the green/black one is for the power. There is another aux fan wire that is blue/black, but I don't know what that one is for (I just capped it off). You also need to upgrade the fuse in your fusebox for the aux fan low speed to 25 amps, otherwise the fuse will pop (no worries the wiring can take it). Wired in this way the fan will now operate with the snowflake button.

To get the fan to come on automatically when the coolant warms up, move the low speed thermo switch from the radiator (it is the top one) to where the coolant drain plug normally is on the engine block. The switch becomes the drain plug (yes the thread size is the same). Use the removed drain plug on the radiator where the thermo switch was (just swap them). Snake some wires from the female clips that normally attach to the switch at the radiator down to the switch which is now on the block. Now, when your coolant hits about 190F degrees the fan will come on automatically. This is the beauty of using the existing aux-fan/ac wiring - it is already set up with the right relays, etc.

I experimented with leaving the thermo-switch on the radiator but the coolant would get way too hot (near the red zone on my dash gauge) before it would trigger the fan - even with another lower temp switch I had bought. Maybe it is my car or the fact that it was 20F in my garage, but I would have thought it would have come on sooner. Since it didn't I went with moving it to the block which is working well.

A couple things you should know:

1. I did not wire it so that I have both the high and low speed functions like the aux fan has - all I wanted was high speed since my car is a track car. I suppose if you used the aux fan resistor you might get the low and high speed functions (low speed when the switch on the block closes, and high speed when the high-temp switch on the radiator closes (the other one on the radiator)) and maybe that is what the green/black wire is for (I never tested it). I suppose this would work but those switches are designed assuming there is the stock fan clutch in place, and I fear the coolant would get too hot before it triggered the high speed switch. Maybe replacing the high speed switch with a lower temp one would get it to close sooner...hmmmm...food for thought

2. The medium profile 16" puller fan is VERY loud since it has straight blades. If my car was street use I don't know if I would like it. It sounds like a small turbine - very loud. If this is a concern of yours look at the curved blade fans and see if you can find one with the right CFM that still provides clearance

I found it on the internet this article I am currently looking for all articles about the E30. I have found many.

Comment

Im running 16" Spal fan also, but I didnt hook up the wiring yet, just set it up on manual for now, but did yours come with adjustable switch?
        95' M3.
        90' 325i Turboed.
        87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

I also run the 16" on my '87. Interestingly, the temp switch that I was sent is too large for my radiator bung. Anyone know if they changed the size of the thread from the 87's to the newer cooling systems in 88+? For now, mine is hardwired, and just runs with the car on, not a big deal. The fan is only loud outside of the car...I have no problems at all with the sound being intrusive in the cabin with the windows open.

Will

Comment

Working...
          X