No announcement yet.

How do you drive your E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can drive it hard, but you'll have to do proper PM to keep the car in good shape. This engine is very robust. Most of the cars here have seen spirited driving and collected well over 250k.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      You're honestly probably doing more damage to it lugging it like that than you would just driving it the way it was meant to be.
      This.

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
      Oh no I'm just afraid the car would die. I want to keep her on the road forever. I have plenty of friends with sport cars and most of them screw there transmissions up fast in about a years time. I just felt obligated to drive her slow since she is 25 years older than these sport cars that snap there transmissions so quickly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      There's a pretty big gap between beating on your car and breaking it, and doing what you're doing now. It takes you 30 seconds to get to 60? Not only are you not doing your car any good, you're probably a road hazard as well. It sounds like you're afraid to give it any gas at all above what is needed to accelerate, and eventually get to 60. If you're lugging it around at 1500 rpm (which it sounds like you are, going 25mph in 4th), you're probably doing more harm than good. In normal driving situations, I generally keep it between about 2000 and 4000 rpm. Man up, give it some gas. You're not gonna hurt it taking it to 5krpm.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      If you have friends who break transmissions in one year they are probably fools, don't be them.
      Agree.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone, you are all awesome! It's amazing to have an E30 and friends!

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
          This.

There's a pretty big gap between beating on your car and breaking it, and doing what you're doing now. It takes you 30 seconds to get to 60? Not only are you not doing your car any good, you're probably a road hazard as well. It sounds like you're afraid to give it any gas at all above what is needed to accelerate, and eventually get to 60. If you're lugging it around at 1500 rpm (which it sounds like you are, going 25mph in 4th), you're probably doing more harm than good. In normal driving situations, I generally keep it between about 2000 and 4000 rpm. Man up, give it some gas. You're not gonna hurt it taking it to 5krpm.

Agree.
          Thank you!

Comment

I drive my car slow, automatic with a 2.93 LSD. It usually stays between 1700-2000 RPM but Im not afraid to take it to redline (5,250 RPM). When I get on high ways I stomp that pedal to the floor, need to hear the exhaust and let everyone see my 92hp and 120 tq...lol I open her up a few times a week, still get 21 MPG in winter and 25 MPG spring-fall. I only drive 10 minutes to work so I dont do floor it on those days.

Feedback Thread

Comment

As hard as I can, as often as I can
              Byron
              Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                Also applies to other than driving activities.

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                  Hey E30Spdfrk! I followed your Can of Worms 318i thread, before I purchased my own 318i my friend. I have just a question regarding your quote of blowing your old M10 motor while driving. Is that inevitable? Or did you make a mistake as to check coolant or oil pump or PM you know that would have prevented it? Please let me know if possible, thank you!

Comment

Like I stole it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloF10 View Post
                      Like I stole it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      So, you're one of those people who starts a thread about how to bypass an E30 ignition switch, right?

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                        So, you're one of those people who starts a thread about how to bypass an E30 ignition switch, right?
                        If you haven't started your e30 with a screwdriver at least once, are you even doing it right?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                          Hey E30Spdfrk! I followed your Can of Worms 318i thread, before I purchased my own 318i my friend. I have just a question regarding your quote of blowing your old M10 motor while driving. Is that inevitable? Or did you make a mistake as to check coolant or oil pump or PM you know that would have prevented it? Please let me know if possible, thank you!

My m10 is still going strong at 240k miles, I've blown 2 m30's and an m60 before. The first m30 I was 17 and didn't tighten the cam gear bolts completely, and the other 2 starved of oil stemming from me driving cars too low. I've owned 15+ BMW's and drive them all the same, and those were the only engine failures I've experienced.
                          Byron
                          Leichtbau

Comment

14hrs straight, hitting the rev limiter many times, and hitting terminal speed once per lap, sometimes twice pending the track.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I don't think you're doing your car any favors by driving it slower than my grandma would. I let mine warm up but then i'll take it up to redline nearly every time I drive it. There's no point in driving slow now so you can drive slightly faster later. Just drive it hard and maintain it well.

Comment

I don't drive mine like a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles
                                Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                                Q
                                :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Working...
                                X