Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do people feel about false M stripes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a M3 badge yesterday on a Mazda 3... wish I was able to grab a pic
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      I saw a M3 badge yesterday on a Mazda 3... wish I was able to set it on fire
      Fifty.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

whatever.

that looks good like that. Doesn't look like you're trying to flex on people.

Comment

The e30 had m stripes as an option back in the day, available for all models - they are sort of similar to what you have, but then stretch back along the side of the car with a thin tri-colour pin stripe.

Here's some on a 333i.

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Stripes - meh.
            Badges - never.

Buddies cars:
            01 740i - swapped in an S62, 6spd and supercharged - no ///M badges
            02 540iT - swapped in an S62, 6spd, supercharged and spraying meth - no ///M badges

My cars:
            91 M5 - D'Sylva chip, short shifter - worthy of the ///M badge because it's an ///M vehicle
            97 328iC - swapped in an S52, bought a turbo kit, just haven't installed - no ///M badges
            10 X5M - JB4 w/ meth injection, stage 2 tune, wrapped downpipes, custom intake - worthy of the ///M badge because it's an ///M vehicle

GF's car:
            08 535xiT - MHD flash, dual cone intake (DCI), BMS catch can, silicone inlets, VRSF 7" FMIC, will walk NA (I4/I6/V8) M3's - no ///M badges

The average idiot isn't going to notice the stripes, those who notice/know what they represent are highly likely to know the difference so real ///M owners are gonna laugh at you and only other fakes/wannabes are gonna think it's cool. The last thing I wanna hear is some idiot saying "Oh yeah, I beat an ///M car in my _____" POS when in situations like this it's just someone wanting make their car what it isn't by throwing on $5 stickers...very Honda'esque. Anyone can bodykit, sticker up, etc a shitbox...and we've all shook our heads and laughed at said idiot as he drives past trying to prove his car's something it's not. Unless you've got a VIN AND engine that verifies it's an actual ///M - less is more; stop being a fake. You're only fooling yourself.
            Last edited by m5james; 03-13-2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by m5james
              The average idiot isn't going to notice the stripes, those who notice/know what they represent are highly likely to know the difference so real ///M owners are gonna laugh at you and only other fakes/wannabes are gonna think it's cool. The last thing I wanna hear is some idiot saying "Oh yeah, I beat an ///M car in my _____" POS when in situations like this it's just someone wanting make their car what it isn't by throwing on $5 stickers...very Honda'esque. Anyone can bodykit, sticker up, etc a shitbox...and we've all shook our heads and laughed at said idiot as he drives past trying to prove his car's something it's not. Unless you've got a VIN AND engine that verifies it's an actual ///M - less is more; stop being a fake. You're only fooling yourself.
              Damn, that's a little harsh. Doesn't seem like this "idiot" is trying to fool anyone, more like a teenager who put some M stickers on his car because he thought it looked cool. Good for him for even knowing what an e30 is let alone joining this forum to research it. I think we can all agree there are those who go a little overboard and it is laughable at how tacky it can look. Seems like you have quite the resumé when it comes to projects/builds, but don't forget we were all beginners once.
              '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Not to mention BMW do it themselves all the time :) The M-stripes I posted above were available on everything from the 316 carby model through to the 333i!

The F30 m-sport models have ///M badges standard from the factory (even on 3 cylinder 318i's)

The M badge isn't exactly sacred like it once was either - especially once BMW started whoring it out on SUVs. An X3M Competition that's based on a FWD chassis?! Please... where's the racing category for that one? The era of ///M = proven on the track are long gone.

Comment

I still shake my head every time i see a bmw suv. But to be fair, i still don’t get why they thought the e36 was an improvement.
                  My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                  I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                    Here's some on a 333i.
                    This looks good. Its more complete of a design. OP's photo, the stripes are too small, incomplete, and look tacky. I would imagine they can be done better with a position different than on the fender.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

I fall in the mixed emotion category as well. With the bottle caps it remaims true to the era, but so many other cool accessories I would rather put on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
                        To be fair, i still don’t get why they thought the e36 was an improvement.
                        I have to admit I thought they were an improvement when they were new but they haven't aged very well. The M3 coupe still looks good.

Comment

I have an M car and I don’t have any M badges at all... it’s like a prostitute wearing a shit that says “im a whore” we already know.. you don’t need to advertise it lol
                          -His-
                          87 e30 325i
                          87 e24 m6
                          05 e83 x3
                          94 e32 740i 5spd
                          -Hers-
                          89 e30 325i
                          18 f48 x1

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                            Damn, that's a little harsh. Doesn't seem like this "idiot" is trying to fool anyone, more like a teenager who put some M stickers on his car because he thought it looked cool. Good for him for even knowing what an e30 is let alone joining this forum to research it. I think we can all agree there are those who go a little overboard and it is laughable at how tacky it can look. Seems like you have quite the resumé when it comes to projects/builds, but don't forget we were all beginners once.
                            I was a teenager once as well. I did my fair share of stupid shit like cut the springs on my 83 Mazda 626 until it sat on bumpstops, 13x7 reverse wheels (worth more than the car) and crashed it so many times I was gray primer for 3/4 of its life. I put 4 12's in a HUGE (also cosr more than the car) and ultimately my parents were left selling it before I joined the military. Unlike the OP, I didn't ask, I just assumed it was cool...so with that said, he asked and he got a response. Not harsh, just my .02 and I'm sure the same of many other true ///M owners.

I didn't say this kid was an idiot, I'm referring to your average Corolla, Camry, Accord, minivan driver...they're just gonna see some car (that's honestly far slower than them considering the average E30 is no rocket ship) with some random colors on the fender. Hell, I got the same raised eyebrows from fellow BMW owners as to why I put so many stripes on my car for Bimmerfest...then I had to explain to them what Bimmerfest is :/
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hendrixvodu View Post
                              ... it’s like a prostitute wearing a shit that says “im a whore” we already know..
                              And apparently one who specializes.
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                                Not to mention BMW do it themselves all the time :) The M-stripes I posted above were available on everything from the 316 carby model through to the 333i!

The F30 m-sport models have ///M badges standard from the factory (even on 3 cylinder 318i's)

The M badge isn't exactly sacred like it once was either - especially once BMW started whoring it out on SUVs. An X3M Competition that's based on a FWD chassis?! Please... where's the racing category for that one? The era of ///M = proven on the track are long gone.
                                Apples and oranges...M options like a steering wheel or lightweight wheels are NOT the same as an ///M badge and a VIN that shows as such. As I mentioned above with buddies who did ///M powertrain swaps, which are clearly harder to do than some doorsills and a steering wheel...NO M badges because they and real M owners know the truth. Dilute it's true meaning by throwing them on anything from a 318 to 525 and it becomes less valuable.

Comment

Working...
                                X