No announcement yet.

N54 swaps now possible :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to remember hearing the dual turbos and plumbing require either frame or firewall modification to fit. That said, might as well integrate the e90 front subframe and suspension into the e30 while you're at it, and avoid any oil pan work.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      That has to do with the tax structure right? it's really expensive to own an engine with 3 liters?

I saw a running 335i a week ago for $2k. lol. I think the trans was bad, but still..
      Tax structure makes every car lot more expensive than in other countries :D Not just cars with bigger engines(emissions). And cars that people desire, keep their value for long time (like 6-cyl bmw's).

For 2k€ you can't even have wrecked e46 330 here :D

Comment

HPFP is part of the timing drive, basically.

Comment

Just tested an EWS4 delete for MSD80 (MSV80 and MSD81 would work too). Kassel Performance has an E91 with an N54 swap that was the test mule - random Ebay DME, no coding, just an OBD flash, and it started right up. :)

Maybe we need an N-series swap forum now? :p
          oh, that swap has been on my mind for a while now!
          Build Threads:
          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Just tested an EWS4 delete for MSD80 (MSV80 and MSD81 would work too). Kassel Performance has an E91 with an N54 swap that was the test mule - random Ebay DME, no coding, just an OBD flash, and it started right up. :)

Maybe we need an N-series swap forum now? :p
            Would you also be able to code out 2nd 02, DSC and other modules? I’m
            Currently building this 1972 2002 N54 swap 6speed

Comment

I'm with m5james. I think the progress on the N5x engines is awesome, but it's so nice to be able to install an M5x/S5x engine with 'off the shelf' parts. They are still modern, especially the M54 and S54, but lack some of the later complexities which I think makes them even more appealing.
              Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Great. Why not start your own thread on how you feel and not shit in mine. Thanks. ;)
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Whether or not you're interested in the N54, the N52 is considered extremely reliable, so would be a pretty good option.

Any idea whether the EWS delete would also work for other N series engines - eg. the N47 / N57 diesels? An N47C engine in the e30 would be pretty awesome with 184hp and 280lb.ft with amazing economy to boot given the weight savings over an e9x.
                  My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by m5james
                    Haha...so we're not supposed to comment unless were rubber stamping your idea? As a mod, you should know forums don't work that way...hell, the world doesn't work that way.

You posted on a public forum about how great you think this swap could be, I'm saying something to the contrary as someone with ownership experience who's about to install a third N54 engine. But yeah, I'll go post a completely random thread about how the N54 is a shit engine on an E30 forum...because no one would think that's completely left field at all lol. Or hey, maybe I'll respond on a related thread about the subject because that makes more sense. Thanks :-)
                    if you don't like it, good for you. But otherwise, why come in here and crap on my thread? Lots of people think the N54 is a fantastic engine.

The original post was that both the N52 and N54 are possible as another engine option for those interested in the platform. Me being a mod has nothing at all to do with it.

The irony of all of this is I personally am not interested in the N54 at all, but the architecture is shared with the N52, so providing swap flashes works out to be similar.
                    Last edited by nando; 03-14-2019, 08:06 AM.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                      Whether or not you're interested in the N54, the N52 is considered extremely reliable, so would be a pretty good option.

Any idea whether the EWS delete would also work for other N series engines - eg. the N47 / N57 diesels? An N47C engine in the e30 would be pretty awesome with 184hp and 280lb.ft with amazing economy to boot given the weight savings over an e9x.
                      AFAIK those are all Bosch DMEs - way different architecture. I'm sure it's possible, but i haven't looked at any of them yet. Hopefully, we'll be able to make some changes and I'll have more time to hack DMEs instead of answering emails. :p

actually, the N57 I think is already possible. the M57 for sure.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'd be interested in an N52 if we can figure out a bolt-on solution for the oil pan and a dipstick. I would also want the EWS delete etc in the public domain like MS43 and MSS54.
                        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

A superb swap going forward. By great to see a video clip of the swap im action.

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

The little I know of the N52, it should be more reliable than the N54 due to being non-turbo and traditional injectors. I'd think it being the same electric waterpump as the N54 would be less of an issue because it likely won't run as hot. Ironically the guy who owned the E30 we have now currently owns an N52 powered vehicle and says it's been a good engine other than it goes through oil filter housing seals like crazy, so he's stopped freaking out when he sees milky oil.

I've never seen anything about EWS delete but then again I haven't looked into it either. I do know they run on either MSD80 or MSD81 DME's and that the earlier MSD80 is notorious for failed injector MOSFET's, but can be sent out for repair or there's YouTube DIY videos.
                            Last edited by m5james; 03-14-2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by m5james
                              Dude, I'm not shitting on your thread...I'm giving a difference of opinion based on facts. Go spend 10 min on www.n54tech.com parting threads and then you'll see if you don't wanna believe me...spun bearings, blown turbos, 30FF codes and failed HPFP's as far as the eye can see. Lots of people haven't had first hand experience with the N54. Lots of people think an SMG is cool...until you're an owner and replacing the pumps every 50k. Lots of people think BMW ownership would be cool...until you're an owner.

My reference to you bring a mod is that you've seen first hand that just because YOU post an opinion doesn't mean WE all agree...that's not shitting on your thread, it's helping those without experience by giving information from those with experience. That's part of what forums are for. Sure, it's great that it's an option and all (happy now?)...my point as an N54 owner is that it's NOT the best option since the N54 in particular is not nearly as reliable as the M20, M30, M50, M52, M54 or N52.
                              I never posted an opinion of anything. Good grief.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I like the idea of the n52. Pretty neat engine, and have a soft spot for NA power. Perhaps it's time to break out that head that was sent in the name of science. :)
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:
                                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                                X