No announcement yet.

Diamantschwarz Forever: An E30 Love Story. Re-shell & Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guise - sorry for the delay in my response. The steam clean service that I got was pretty comprehensive (full undercarriage, engine bay, wells, wheels, etc) - and that normally is $400 (I got it for a little bit less).

Here are some more updates. I discovered that the rear shocks I had on this car (and my last E30) for approximately ~5 years were actually Bilstein HD's. Big giveaway was that for the last 5 years, whenever I raised the car in the air, the rear springs would fall out of place due to the length of the shock tubes. UHH derp.

To remedy this, I bought a pair of Bilstein B8 sports.

little comparison

great success.

not pictured: we didn't have the correct sized 10mm retaining washer...so wound up busting both RSMs. Ordered the correct hardware, new Meyle HD RSM's, Turner Reinforcement plates and put everything back together.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Dude. Garrett's garage is dope.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post

Does anyone know if I'm missing a round piece in the center of the passenger floor pan?

yeah you are, there's supposed to be a plug.

i think if i had the bottom of my ix steam cleaned there would not be floors anymore. lucky CA cars.
        cars beep boop

Comment

I'd feel sorry for the poor bastard that would have to steam clean the bottom of my car...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
            Dude. Garrett's garage is dope.

I think we might try and get together there next Saturday to tackle a euro headlight retrofit on my Volvo - I'll text you. :)

Originally posted by kronus View Post
            yeah you are, there's supposed to be a plug.

This is what I bought from FCP Euro (clip below taken from ECS) ... look right?

BMW P/N # 41128200462

Side note, I have an odd grounding issue that I need to diagnose. Whenever I step on the brake pedal, my radio gets static. When I left off, it goes away. I wonder if this is somehow related my 2 year old OEM BMW Hirschmann Power antenna that has suddenly stopped working, and is "frozen" halfway up.
            Last edited by freeride53; 02-08-2019, 10:50 AM.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
              I think we might try and get together there next Saturday to tackle a euro headlight retrofit on my Volvo - I'll text you. :)

This is what I bought from FCP Euro (clip below taken from ECS) ... look right?

BMW P/N # 41128200462

Side note, I have an odd grounding issue that I need to diagnose. Whenever I step on the brake pedal, my radio gets static. When I left off, it goes away. I wonder if this is somehow related my 2 year old OEM BMW Hirschmann Power antenna that has suddenly stopped working, and is "frozen" halfway up.
              That plug is for the rear portion of the floor. The plug you are missing is metal/aluminium I think. It's seamsealed into the floor.

I have no idea for the part number though. You might find a regular rubber grommet at your local hardware store that also fits
              1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
              1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                That plug is for the rear portion of the floor. The plug you are missing is metal/aluminium I think. It's seamsealed into the floor.

I have no idea for the part number though. You might find a regular rubber grommet at your local hardware store that also fits
                Good lookin'. I ended up returning the plugs I bought (as you note, they were way larger than what I needed. I bought another few plugs (plastic/rubber composite) which do fit the hole. However, I then realized that I hadn't lost my plugs all along.

They have 4 metal prongs and they were just pushed up a bit (on both sides of the car). I carefully pulled them down, and sealed them tight, bending each of the 4 prongs as so:

Around that same time, I removed my M-Tech 2 wheel and E36 leather e-brake handle that were both very tired. I sent them out to Stitched wheels to get redone with //M tri-color stitching and extra padding in the wheel. I sent them out in January so hopefully will receive them back within the next few weeks...

Back on went the original SRS wheel that came from my original car (but hadn't been used in 5+ years).

Around that same time, I took a trip to Mexico City with a few friends.

Saw a lot of cool BMW's that aren't available in the United States.

Saw that one and was intrigued.

[IMG][/IMG]

Did some investigating at the local BMW dealership near our Air BNB in the Polanco neighborhood.

Low and behold, BMW builds a front wheel drive 118i made in China.

Luckily they had some much cooler BMW's there to save face.

Also while in Mexico, I banged up my knee pretty bad. So bad that I wasn't able to drive a manual for about 6 weeks after I got back to the States. So the E30 sat dormant for a month and a half. Picked it up a few weeks ago, then this happened while idling...

Started pissing coolant from what appeared to be the timing case, with coolant puddling up behind the oil filter housing. Jerry (McGyver) came over one Saturday and we discovered that it was likely from my Thermostat housing. So I ordered a bunch of parts FCP ASAP. Since we didn't have any parts, we did the next best thing and went out for drinks. Jerry also taught me how to play pool. That was sick.

Julien (Julien) came over the following Saturday and gave me a hand. Then we had some great sushi. Then we had a few drinks and discovered that there weren't too many pretty ladies in downtown Oakland that night.

Car runs purrrfectly now, with no coolant leaks to be found. Hooray! Now some less hooray. Discovered that while the car had been sitting for a month outside in the rain, both taillights had filled with water (literally slushing around). No surprise, my trunk was all damp and shit. So I removed the taillights, carpeting, and dried things up.

What's shitty is that I had already sanded/treated/painted the rust under my battery tray 2 years ago. Here's a nice little surprise I had.

But I also forgot to replace my breather vents and trunk seals. So I bought those along with new taillight gaskets (again).

Also received this lovely package from Blunt. New E82 (1-series) all-weather floor mats (my second set, last set was tired after 3 years and these only cost me $35 new); set of 4 inner window scrapers (mine are torn); and...

yeah, that's right - a brand new genuine BMW front bumper cover.

Expecting more parts deliveries tomorrow and Friday. Will check back then.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Very impressive build. Keep it coming!

Comment

The best thing in those pictures is the Persian rugs lol
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by e30RS View Post
                      Very impressive build. Keep it coming!

Thank you! It isn't much, but your words motivate me.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      The best thing in those pictures is the Persian rugs lol

I'm rug, you're a rug, we're all just rugs at end of day. ;D

Today was a good day and I am exhausted.

Started out with a nice cycling ride.

Saw this sleepy E28 M5

Saw this gorgeous 99 Turbo

Recovered for a few hours then drove back to Oakland and met up with the two J's: Jerry & Julien for pizza, brews, and me slacking around/distracted.

Broke out the party favors

Some more of the favors

Old vs. New

Rear bumper off, cleaned up the valence a bit to replace the breather vents.

Were replacing the trunk gasket and found a rusty surprise. So we ground all the rust off, neutralized it just in case, then hit it with paint

New old stock?

Spring cleaning!

Then we eventually put it back together, slid the rear bumpers into the DMs and went romping about on Skyline and Grizzly Peak in the Oakland and Berkeley hills.

Jerry's Laguna is meaty ville USA.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

aw man! hit me up next time you go drive the oakland hills. I'm just down the hill from grizz peak
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                          aw man! hit me up next time you go drive the oakland hills. I'm just down the hill from grizz peak
                          nioce, i currently live right off grizz peak
                          Build Threads:
                          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Hey party people. Not much to post from the last month and half but here's some. The car had been intermittently reeking of fuel for the past year or so. Julien came over one day and we poked around in different places, initially not finding anything that jumped out to us. Our initial finding was that the smell was due to a bad top seal on the main fuel pump. So ordered the seal from FCP and tackled it a couple of weeks later.

There definitely was some small fuel leakage there, so this fixed that. However, the smell persisted and one day while poking under the hood, found a little drip of fuel near the fuel rail under the intake manifold. Another couple of weeks passed, went to Julien's house one Sunday afternoon. Got swept away with some work BS so Julien replaced both fuel lines to the fuel rail while I worked off my laptop on the roof of the car.

No photos, but it turns out that I had used low-pressure fuel hose (for non-FI cars, d'oh) a couple of years back whilst tackling the "mess under the intake"... and the two pieces of fuel line were totally destroyed with holes. Whoops. Stupid mistake that was sorta dangerous.

Next we tackled the trunk breather vent leaking. Back in March (as covered above), we replaced the trunk breather vents and gaskets entirely with new OEM pieces, but the car still leaked. Before busting open the silicone tube, Julien realized that it was my quarter panel. (One of the P.O.s had damaged the driver rear quarter with A/V equipment shifting in the trunk). This will be fixed properly when the car goes in for body & paint, but we grabbed a block of wood and mallet and banged it out.

Some miscellaneous rubber/boots replaced with the new OE parts from FCP....

Next, back in January, I sent my M-Tech 2 wheel and E36 leather e-brake handle to Jordan at Stitched Wheels. I'll save the rant, but shortly after paying/shipping my parts over to him, he announced that he was closing up shop. I somehow never received the memo, which was frustrating. Despite the issues in communication, I think the wheel came out really nice. He redid the wheel, gave it extra padding (like modern BMW's), used tri-color "M" stitching and installed the new M badge I provided.

Close-up of the stitching. I also revived the horn pad with the Aerospace 303 that I had laying around in my garage.

Installed in the cockpit

And this evening...

My E30 has been hogging up my parents' garage since we sold my mom's 1992 Mercedes 300E (W124). That car was in our family since new (and pampered) but if you know the Merc's of the era, you'd know of the common electrical gremlins, oil leaks and other faults that begin to occur around ~200k miles / after 27 years. The Mercedes quickly became a source of frustration for us so it had to go. I was able to get a decent stack of cash for my parents so away it went.

We were also passively/actively looking for a replacement since late 2018. Mom was pretty set on an X5 (her last car was a Volvo Cross Country)

Mom had been pretty dead set on an X5 for the last year or so. So we did our hunting, and today, ended up getting a sweet deal. CPO 2016 X5 x3.5i (N55 Turbo) with 26K miles and tons of bells and whistles. We saw this car when it first came into stock back in December. Needless to say, we were able to get a good chunk off out the door ... Persian salesman was an added plus as my dad went full Persian haggler on him. Not Diamantschwarz... but close enough :-) Dark Graphite Metallic on Mocha Leather.We plan on surprising mom this weekend with this early Mother's Day gift.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Beautiful steering wheel! I am jealous.

Also, this explains why Jordan @ Stitched never replied to my recent emails.

Comment

Oh man, Jerry gotta be sick of fixing cooling issues in our M42s by now

I’m equally as bummed that I didn’t get to see your 318 before moving. It looks so good! I’ll be at Bimmerfest in 2020, so we’ll have to meet up while I’m on the west coast.
                                1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
                                2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
                                2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                                2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
                                1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
                                1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

Working...
                                X