No announcement yet.

Ruby's Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, I went to a big E30 meet yesterday down in Austin! We met up at Rudy's off of 620, drove whatever the lake road is that's near Oasis Brewing, and then drove the road back to Oasis. Great guys; 10/10 would recommend.

Comment

Some bad news, but some good news I guess. The day after the oil change, Lindsay and I drove up to Denton to see my old room mate, and as I was taking an ramp to go to another highway (hauling around the corner as Ruby likes to), it started sounding like a diesel. I shit you not, Ruby turned into a BMW Tractor. I got to my friend's place and just covered her up because it was clear we weren't driving her anywhere sounding that way.

I googled the problem, and some guys were saying that replacing the timing chain tensioner fixed the problem. Something to do with new oil can give this problem on older engines.

I ordered a new one from Pelican, and it got here super fast thank god. I took out the old one (pictured), put in the new one, and used my BRAND NEW torque wrench to tighten it to precisely about 40NM, as per the online guide's instructions, and gave my neighbors some glorious MagnaFlow M42 sounds! I felt so self conscious while revving. Thank god it only needed about 30 seconds at 3500RPM to get the oil pressure high enough for the new tensioner to do it's thing. The piece on the left side in the picture is actually compressed with a spring into the main body of the tensioner, and oil going into the tensioner extends it which allows it to do it's thing (at least that's my understanding of it).

Here's a video of me doing the revs, so you can hear the sound.

You can hear how awful it sounds when I first started bringing it off of idle, but then the sound goes more normal. It still sounded a *little* off. Maybe I'll adjust the cams soon.

Comment

And the drama begins.

Ruby died while driving today. As luck would have it, another E30 owner, with the same engine in his car, picked me up. He's going to be doing an engine swap in his E30, so I just happen to have another engine I can use if we can get the new one in. It'd have 70,000 less miles on it as well! We're at a shop right now, waiting for someone to tow us to the guy's house.

Comment

The drama begins..... I like that.

Super sweet car, and congrats on the engagement.

Digging your build. Well except for the self tapping screws into the trunk floor part (no idea why people do this), but other than that it looks clean!
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
            The drama begins..... I like that.

Super sweet car, and congrats on the engagement.

Digging your build. Well except for the self tapping screws into the trunk floor part (no idea why people do this), but other than that it looks clean!
            Thanks, thanks, and thanks! The self tapping screws in the trunk are just to ground the amp. I'm currently waiting on AAA to tow me to the guy's house to swap engines. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty nervous about how big of a job it is, but he went out and got an engine stand and an engine hoist.

Comment

Metal shit in the intake. Engine swap time! M42 for M42 he wants $300 to buy his engine.

Last edited by Levy3Poop; 05-23-2017, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I just got back home now, and I need to rant about how crazy today was.

Clearly, Ruby's original engine was due to die. Whether it be now or later, it was going to die.
                Had we not decided to drive to Colorado Bend State Park in central Texas today, it could have died ANYWHERE else.
                It died as I was passing through Killeen, where I bought the car.
                It died on the right stretch of highway, at the right time, on the right day for Dave to find us.
                If we were 30 minutes ahead or behind schedule, Dave might not have ever found us. If we were 30 minutes earlier, AAA would have taken us to the shop before Dave happened to drive by. If we were 30 minutes later, Dave would have already been home by then, going on his merry way with things.
                THAT, and he just so happened to have a 318i with the same engine that he doesn't need any more.
                I thought it was the alternator, and he volunteered his alternator from his M42 E30 because he JUST HAPPENED to be prepping to do an engine swap (to an S52 for those curious).
                If he wasn't getting his car ready for the swap, he wouldn't have gone out to buy an engine hoist and engine mount, or even offered his engine for a parts engine before we saw the shitstorm in the intake manifold.

My mind is too blown by this. The more I think about the chances of all this happening this way, the more baffled I become.

We worked on the cars until about 11:30, then decided to give his neighbors a break from the wrenching for the night. His wife joked "I'm going to have to bake SOOOO many cookies for them!" lol. To top off all his kindness, the dude even gave Lindsay and I a ride ALL THE WAY back to Waco, leaving his place at midnight, despite having to work at 6am. We felt bad for him because he's probably just getting home now (close to 2am), and probably won't get to sleep until about 3 if he has a night routine before bed. I joked that I'm going to have him cannonized to become the patron saint of the E30s for the selflessness. You just don't see that in people anymore.

I need to shower and go to bed now. What an absolutely insane day. I'm sure Dave's on here. If you see this, get some sleep, brother.

Comment

Wow. Crazy story.

Where did the metal in the intake come from? Did a piston, valve, or part of the head explode downstream and work it's way back to the throttle body area?

When do you think the engine will be swapped over and buttoned up?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                    Wow. Crazy story.

Where did the metal in the intake come from? Did a piston, valve, or part of the head explode downstream and work it's way back to the throttle body area?

When do you think the engine will be swapped over and buttoned up?
                    As of right now, we have no idea where the metal came from. We weren't able to get it out last night. Dave said that he's going to work on it (though I wish I could work on it with him) and get it done ASAP. At the very latest, we're both free in Tuesday to go down and spend the whole day working on it, but he sounded determined to get it done. I wish my car wasn't an hour away, that way I could spend all my free time on it.

He was saying it could have been a piston that went kaplut, but we just don't know as of now.

It hurt so much to see it on the tow truck like that :(

Comment

On the bright side, it looks good even towed away like that. Beautiful car nonetheless, hopefully you can get her up and running asap!

Comment

Originally posted by cspec View Post
                        On the bright side, it looks good even towed away like that. Beautiful car nonetheless, hopefully you can get her up and running asap!
                        Hahaha I agree, but it looks better anywhere else! I can't wait until she's back up and running with a new heart

Comment

Quick question, are the BBS 16s or 17s?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
                            Quick question, are the BBS 16s or 17s?
                            16". The model is BBS RX214 to be exact

Last edited by Levy3Poop; 05-24-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

i take a picture of my e30 each time i get a tow (except one) and i have like a total of 5 pictures of my car getting towed. last time was only a few block from my house...

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                                i take a picture of my e30 each time i get a tow (except one) and i have like a total of 5 pictures of my car getting towed. last time was only a few block from my house...
                                Why did you get towed 5 times, and how long have you had your car?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X