Coast to Coast, an e30 American adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
    I’m a southern guy and I’m really happy to see your commitment to the southeast coastal regions and the smoky mountain region around north Georgia and Tennessee.

I just took my family up to the northern Michigan area (sleeping bear dunes national park and Mackinac Island.). The Great Lakes are astounding, especially up north far away from Chicago and Detroit. Maybe someday you’ll be inspired to get up there.

Your US e30 is identical to the ‘87 I got for my son’s first car and it puts a smile on my face to see love for an eta.

I will be keeping track of you and would volunteer to support you with any needs you have when touring my southeast quadrant. All my best to you.
    I love the south of America, i love the history and i love the southern hospitality and don't get me started on the food!!

I went out there last year and done Florida (only because i have friends there) and then went to georgia, Atlanta, done Helen, Asheville, Deals gap (bloody amazing road) and then came back to Helen where we was staying for the week then headed back down the Florida where i flew home. Georgia/North Carolina/Tennessee is an absolutely beautiful place to be.

North America and Canada trip is on the cards but won't be for a few years yet thats for sure, my bank account needs to recover from our wedding and this trip.

Originally posted by agent View Post
    I can't like this enough.

It looks like your itinerary may have you in the Smoky Mountains (and some of the best driving roads in the country) around the same time as the Fall Brodeo, which is usually the first weekend in November. Check the Southeast Regional sub-forum for information on past events.

Either way, it looks like you have a stop planned in Nashville so don't hesitate to reach out!
    I love an early model with metal bumpers, just something about it cries out true retros 80s, i do like the plastic bumpers but i 100% prefer the metal bumpers, i am not to sure why either as when i was looking for an e30 previously circa 2014 i was only after a later model but i guess times change and so does peoples tastes.

I shall take a look into that, we have been working on our itinerary in more depth today we only managed to sort the finer details for the first leg of the trip, i will aim to do more of the eastern side tomorrow. We are in Nashville for thanksgiving, a friend of mine has a place out there but he will be heading back to Florida to see his family for the holiday but is letting us stay at his whilst he is away. i will certainly be in touch as would like to maybe see if anything is going on around then for the holiday.

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

this trip sounds mega

(is that the correct way you brits use it? lol)
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        this trip sounds mega

(is that the correct way you brits use it? lol)
        Not enough curse words but close enough

<— this has no reference to anything I just wanted to use it.

Comment

If you’re picking up the bronzit in Sacramento and come through Humboldt County (west of Sac along the coast), I’ll bring my bronzit out to play too.

Comment

Subscribed!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Excellent! I’d love to do this someday too.

When near Las Vegas don’t miss Bryce and Zion National Parks. Monument Valley is iconic.

Also consider adding Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Tetons. You won’t be sorry.
              Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
              1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
              Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by Haystack View Post
                If you’re picking up the bronzit in Sacramento and come through Humboldt County (west of Sac along the coast), I’ll bring my bronzit out to play too.

The car is white but I am down on up for that. we are doing West Sacramento/Old Sacramento on one of our first days, the 6th September I believe as the car itself is located in Vacaville.

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                Subscribed!
                SWEEEET!

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
                Excellent! I’d love to do this someday too.

When near Las Vegas don’t miss Bryce and Zion National Parks. Monument Valley is iconic.

Also consider adding Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Tetons. You won’t be sorry.
                Bryce is actually on our list of places to visit along with Zion, unfortunately we do not go up as high as Yellowstone, it was somewhere that I wanted to go but to see it we would of had to have missed quite a few other bits that we wanted to see so we had to weigh up our options and decided to skip that one but we are doing quite a few other National Parks. Grand Tetons is also a lot higher than we plan on going so wouldn't be able to make that one either :(

Comment

You may also want to keep an eye out due to forest/grasslands fires.
                  The season already has started out on the Westcoast.

Comment

In terms of maintenance, I’d make sure the tires are new or newish. Make sure the car has the full jack kit also. You can stuff a few things in the spare tire well too.

For the toolkit, I’d look at harbour freight. They have pretty good prices for tools. Not the best quality but they usually do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by pondhopper View Post
                      In terms of maintenance, I’d make sure the tires are new or newish. Make sure the car has the full jack kit also. You can stuff a few things in the spare tire well too.

For the toolkit, I’d look at harbour freight. They have pretty good prices for tools. Not the best quality but they usually do the trick.
                      thank you! the following is copied and pasted from another thread:

ts a 85 325e. has 270k on the clock however its had the following work done (with receipts to prove and you can tell by looking its all new)
                      full coolant system overhaul including all hoses.
                      full tune up, fluids, filters and plugs/wires
                      brakes
                      timing belt
                      and was recently smogged (being a cali car)

the car is kinda rough exterior wise and a little on the inside but mechanically she is a peach which was what I wanted due to all the miles and also it will probably get a little bump and scrape here and there on the journey so wasn't really after a "mint" car. plus I am hoping having a car that looks a little beat up will put people off if they was looking to steal or rob a car but most the time this isn't the case, scumbags will be scumbags regardless.

also, I am pretty sure the tyres have recently been replaced but I will have my friend check the date/numbers on them. if need be I will get them replaced but I am 90% sure they are new or atleast a few months old.

Comment

This sounds like an awesome trip.

How's the bushings on the car? Changing the control arm / rear subframe bushings on my car made a HUGE difference in the ride.
                        86 325e sedan
                        • Magnaflow Cat-back
                        • SSSquid Stage 1 Chip

Comment

Looks like an amazing trip! I can't wait to follow along.

Depending on how much flexibility you have I would definitely recommend going back west then south through the mountains after your Denver, Colorado stop. My Wife and I purchased our E30 in Arizona and drove it back through Durango and Ouray. It's much more scenic that the interstate.

Comment

Hey Ben,

Previous owner of this car. Good to see you on here. I would have kept it if it wasn’t for the chance to get my brother M30-swapped coupe. Definitely keeping up with your trip.
                            1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Still planning the trip, getting super excited now as its about 5 weeks away till we fly. been getting some stuff for the car and to bring with us. still need some misc bits for the e30 but I got this today to help record some of the adventure!!

Untitled by ben walsh, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by jtheilbrun View Post
                                Looks like an amazing trip! I can't wait to follow along.

Depending on how much flexibility you have I would definitely recommend going back west then south through the mountains after your Denver, Colorado stop. My Wife and I purchased our E30 in Arizona and drove it back through Durango and Ouray. It's much more scenic that the interstate.
                                Thank you for this suggestion!! i have actually changed my route because of this but slightly different to how you done it...

we have a hotel in Colorado springs so when we leave that to go south to Albuquerque we are going to initially head west to Montrose where we are going to jump on the 550 to Ouray and Durango and follow the 550 all the way along, i have actually heard of this road previously, am i correct in saying some people call it the Million Dollar Highway? We are basically on the 550 all the way from Ouray to Albuquerque believe its going to be almost an 11 hour drive! but looks amazing!

Originally posted by iso_hi View Post
                                Hey Ben,

Previous owner of this car. Good to see you on here. I would have kept it if it wasn’t for the chance to get my brother M30-swapped coupe. Definitely keeping up with your trip.
                                thanks man! I was wondering if you was on here!! still a few things to sort out on the car to make it ready, you know the car a lot more than me other than the subframe is there anything else you recommend I sort out before I leave cali, oh and the seat belt buckles.
                                Last edited by benwalsh91; 07-27-2018, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X