What security system for E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What security system for E30?

I recently installed a remote immobilizer, $50 from amazom, seems like the best idea besides lo-jack. You all know more than me, What do you guys recommend?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

this aught to be enough in most cases now adays

if you have an slush box this is more appropriate for an 80s unit
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 02-24-2019, 09:23 PM.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post

if you have an slush box this is more appropriate for an 80s unit
      I have the 5 speed boss, I'm not feeling comfortable with leaving it as that be. I have a feeling someone that wants to steal an E30 would know how to drive standard? What do you think of the factory steering locking? Mine still works, can I trust it, and more importantly do you?

Comment

First you need a ski pass, then you need trunk monkey.

Comment

GPS tracking is what you want. Lojack is old tech.
          Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
            GPS tracking is what you want. Lojack is old tech.
            What would you recommend? Everything is either $50 a month or useless chinese texting gps devices

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              First you need a ski pass, then you need trunk monkey.
              I freaking love you man, thanks for saving my E30's motor brother!

Comment

The steering bar thing is a good deterrent. Anything to get the naughty man to say "too hard, next car"

GPS thing would be great at finding the car after its been dumped after a joy ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                  What would you recommend? Everything is either $50 a month or useless chinese texting gps devices

If you have ever tried to find anti theft options for your car you probably know that you basically have two options: One time payment transmitter based systems such as Lojack - old style system, pre GPS and pre modern cellular network technology. These systems depend on the supplier to hide a transmitter in your

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                  The steering bar thing is a good deterrent. Anything to get the naughty man to say "too hard, next car"

GPS thing would be great at finding the car after its been dumped after a joy ride.
                  Somewhere between too hard next car and finding it after, there is the option of the OBC code immobilizer.
                  Last edited by noid; 02-24-2019, 10:19 PM.
                  Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                    http://www.rtsauto.com/anti-theft-gp...-subscription/

Somewhere between too hard next car and finding it after, there is the option of the OBC code immobilizer.
                    How can that happen? Mine only has two buttons for the time brother

Comment

I figured everyone here has a system should I proceed to install a viper alarm or pass?

Comment

How can that happen? Mine only has two buttons for the time brother

Yeah, you would need a 13 button OBC.

I figured everyone here has a system should I proceed to install a viper alarm or pass?

Aftermarket alarms of any sort are nothing but trouble.

They are an open invitation to electrical problems in the future.

Comment

I just ripped a viper system out of a e30 I just bought, it was tweaking the door locks randomly and I didn't trust it to not cause electrical issues.

I thought about just throwing a prepaid SIM in an old smartphone, hardwiring it to the battery, and using that as a gps tracker. Bonus is I could mount it somewhere that the camera could be pointed at the driver.

You could also wire a simple hidden momentary switch somewhere that you hold down when turning the key. Kinda like how with old jeeps you need to hold the high beam switch when starting.
                          Last edited by skudak; 02-25-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Wow Lojac, and sat tracking for a 80's car worth maybe 10k for a prime example and 14 for a well sorted restored swap, I would put my money into an agreed value insurance policy for it if I was this worried about it, vs gimmicky shit and expensive monthly services or aftermarket alarms that will leave stranded and cause nothing but headache in these old cars. I could see all this for a nice M3 of this vintage that is rare and very desirable and a profitable theft. but not a 86 318 with a m10 in it.

Really guys as much as I loved my e30, I never would have thought to put a GPS tracking unit on it EVER, its not a AMG C63 black, or a 360 Ferrari or 991 Pcar, or anything like that, its not even a V10 M5. I think you all are putting a little too much effort into keeping people from stealing a car not many people even want to steal, and what actually amounts to a 80's shitbox that should have been turned in during cash for clunkers in most peoples minds.
                            Last edited by mrsleeve; 02-25-2019, 10:35 AM.
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                              We call this "the millennial anti-theft device" at my house. Also helps that the picture you selected, is a close-ratio box...kids these days wouldn't know what to do :rofl:
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                              X