Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help troubleshooting Clutch

Hi guys,

1987 325is with about 15k on the current clutch.

A couple of months ago I went to move our E30, and the clutch pedal went to the floor. So I couldn't get it out of gear to start it. Finally pumped and pumped the clutch and was able to get it out/in gear and move the car so I could later work on it.

We went on vacation, then it was cold / lazy. etc.
    took a coupe months before I could get back to it.

This week when I went out the clutch felt normal, and I took it for a quick trip.

I don't know enough about clutches to have an idea of why it would change. Why would it seem to fix itself?

thanks!

Originally posted by cidion View Post
    Hi guys,

1987 325is with about 15k on the current clutch.

A couple of months ago I went to move our E30, and the clutch pedal went to the floor. So I couldn't get it out of gear to start it. Finally pumped and pumped the clutch and was able to get it out/in gear and move the car so I could later work on it.

We went on vacation, then it was cold / lazy. etc.

took a coupe months before I could get back to it.

This week when I went out the clutch felt normal, and I took it for a quick trip.

I don't know enough about clutches to have an idea of why it would change. Why would it seem to fix itself?

thanks!
    15k on clutch, how did you replace it? If you put so much on it already than something went wrong while driving? I'm not sure bro probably a leak somewhere since the pumping works.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sonny; 03-06-2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Probably a leaking master cylinder or slave cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        Probably a leaking master cylinder or slave cylinder.
        If it were leaking would the pedal go to the floor one day then be firm the next? No snark, really curious.

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
        15k on clutch, how did you replace it? If you put so much on it already than something went wrong while driving? I'm not sure bro probably a leak somewhere since the pumping works.
        When I bought it the previous owner had replaced the clutch. I put about 8k on it. so it's probably less than 15k. It's mainly a track car. What I'm mainly interested in is how it can not work one day and seem fine a few weeks later?

Comment

Originally posted by cidion View Post
          If it were leaking would the pedal go to the floor one day then be firm the next? No snark, really curious.

When I bought it the previous owner had replaced the clutch. I put about 8k on it. so it's probably less than 15k. It's mainly a track car. What I'm mainly interested in is how it can not work one day and seem fine a few weeks later?
          My car fixed itself I swear . I don't know what to say it's not suppose to happen

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a similar problem. One time my clutch got stuck to the floor while driving on the highway. It was kinda scary. I pulled over and just pulled it back with my hand.

I had that problem now and then and I would just pull it back with my foot if necessary. Eventually I replaced both master and slave clutch cylinders and that fixed the problem.

Here's a good video tutorial

Bleeding the system afterwards was really difficult for me but it eventually worked.

Comment

Working...
            X