Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel WAY off

Hi all
    I have a project 87 325is that has been on a pair of jack stands for a few months until today when I finally got it running. But when I went to go drive the car, I immediately noticed the steering wheel is about 95 degrees turned to the right. I hop out of the car and look underneath and everything *looks* alright. The front wheels look like they have a lot of toe out and are cambered a whole lot too. I jacked up the car off the ground either using the jack points or the front subframe, every time placing the jack stands under the frame rails. The steering feels looser than normal too, which I do have a bad coupler and I also leak a bit of PS fluid. What could have caused my car to suddenly do this? It’s so bizarre and I am hoping just an alignment and bushing could fix this

Mechanical retard here, sounds like a tie rod is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by e30RS View Post
      Mechanical retard here, sounds like a tie rod is broken.
      I checked under the car and I didn’t see anything broken. I know I’m not very good with cars I’m still new to all of this I just haven’t ever seen this happen before

Comment

Adjust the tie rods evenly to straighten the wheels. Take the steering wheel off and reset to center. Go get a wheel alignment.
        sigpic
        327is
        325es
        325es
        318is
        Fiesta ST
        E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
          Adjust the tie rods evenly to straighten the wheels. Take the steering wheel off and reset to center. Go get a wheel alignment.
          I tried that but the mtech 1 wheel only lets you put it on one way

Comment

There are about 32 ways you can put it on.
            sigpic
            327is
            325es
            325es
            318is
            Fiesta ST
            E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
              There are about 32 ways you can put it on.
              I’ll have to check again. Stlll confused as to why my alignment is way off now

Comment

Could it be the subframe or steering rack?

Comment

idk. you tell me. What where you working on before it suddenly broke just sitting on jacks.
                  make sure all the suspension bolts are torqued completely tight first including the top bushings.

Comment

Working...
                  X